360 Rebuild Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 360 Rebuild Advice Needed

Hello fellow FSJers: I am in the process of rebuilding the 5.9 360 in my 90 Grand Wagoneer. I would love to have input, suggestions and any other advice from you guys.
    The ultimate goal is to have a reliable motor for road use only (no off-road/towing intended in future use).
    My buddy and I pulled the motor a week ago (some of you may have seen the pic in a previous thread) and the motor has been tore down and machine work is currently being completed on the block and the cylinder walls are getting bored .030 over. The bearings looked very good, not much wear and the crank also looked very good. I was curious as to where everyone purchased their parts?? Has anyone had any luck with Summit?s ?Master Rebuild Kit? which includes pistons, rings, bearings and gasket? I plan to purchase the cam and lifters as well ? any suggestions where to purchase those? I noticed in a previous thread that members thought the Summit Cam would be the best option. Here are the other parts I plan to purchase and would like input as to where the best place to purchase the parts for my intended use would be:
    Balancer
    Cam&Lifters
    Timing Set
    Water Pump
    Mounts
    Valve Springs
    Valve Seals
    Intake Gasket
    Oil Pump Rebuild
    Alternator
    I have already purchased a new 2150 motocraft carb from the individual in Colorado Springs that came highly recommended by other members as well.
    Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated! Also, please let me know if you need any further information to help you better answer my questions!
    Thank you so much,
    John

See this thread for how I built mine up.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=123219

I had to tear into the bottom end a 2nd time due to a worn thrust bearing. Shop said it could have been due to a bad torque converter. I replaced the torque converter, fixed the crank and put new main and rod bearings back in and it's been fine since then.
    Ethan Brady
    1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

I would also consider replacing the oil pump housing assy. I did when i rebuilt mine. Have avg oil pressure of 30-40 psi

Comment

Originally posted by wade125
        I would also consider replacing the oil pump housing assy. I did when i rebuilt mine. Have avg oil pressure of 30-40 psi
        X2
        87 Grand Wagoneer, 235k, 360/727/229 TFI bored .030
        http://s438.photobucket.com/albums/qq103/Jimmorrison91/

Comment

Thank you

Thanks for the suggestions. I will replace the oil pump housing as suggested. Any advice on where to purchase parts I have listed?

Thanks again,

John

Comment

Also, any thoughts on Summit?s ?Master Rebuild Kit??

Comment

Based on some suggestions I got from this forum, I got my kit through Mad Dog Racing.

http://www.hdmaddog.com/AMC-Jeep-Hud...-p9739263.html

I haven't gotten to assemble it yet, so I can't give you an honest "been there/done that" opinion.
              83 J-10 Jeep "Oscar"
              360/727/229
              4" Rusty's w/33X12.50 BFG AT's

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...

Comment

I got my pistons from Mad Dog Racing, as well as rings. I may have gotten the gasket kit from them, too. I don't remember.

I had the shop install the cam bearings and all the freeze plugs for me.
                Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

I was going to go with Maddog to, but i ended up buying a reman motor instead after my machine shop told me what it was going to cost for everything.
                  Jeeps are Jeeps, keep Jeepin
                  >It's not about the ten hour drive to get the rust bucket jeep, it's about where your your going when it's done
                  87GW 99 Durango 5.2 drivetrain, SOA 35in Falken Wildpeak. MT rims
                  1997 Ram 1500 5.2 33in Falken Rocky Mounts for haulin

Comment

I'd give the machine shop a chance to match online part prices. If they supplied my parts, I'd have the local shop to deal with if anything goes wrong ... rather than a distant reseller. Plus the shop will give me advice on which parts and brands to buy, and I wouldn't have to carry the parts to them for fitting. Don't forget to figure in shipping.
                    Tim Reese
                    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Originally posted by wade125
                      I would also consider replacing the oil pump housing assy.
                      X2
                      I would not nowhere else than Bulltear to purchase this one part.
                      Bulltear checks each one they sell.
                      Bryan Smith
                      2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                      - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                      1986 Jeep J20
                      - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                      1982 Jeep J10
                      - Has become a Long Term Project.
                      1981 Jeep J20
                      - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                      1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                      - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                      ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                      Originally posted by Lindel
                      Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

If you need a timing cover (ie the oil pump housing), BullTear would be a good source. But, you can measure the housing to see what condition it is in. IMO there's no reason to replace parts that are not worn out. The FSM/TSM tells you how to evaluate the housing. Housings can often be reconditioned without a lot of special equipment - Ristow has a thread showing this, as well as how to measure the clearances in question. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106458
                        Tim Reese
                        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

We need a "Ristow's stickies" forum.
                          Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

Sounds good. The engine is still at the machine shop and I will post pics and keep everyone updated as to new developments.

Comment

Working...
                            X