Heads Are Off the "rebuilt"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads Are Off the "rebuilt"

What do I need to be seeing for signs of it being rebuilt? They ran rust colored fuel from a very crappy tank, so I see soot....
    Give a man a fish he will eat for a day unless it's a really big fish but, teach him to fish and he will drink beer all day!
    1977 Jeep Cherokee wide trac 2nd owner 88,981 miles
    2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Valve guide seals need to be change.For that a special tool is needed known as a valve spring compressor. All the guides need to be inspected.Best bet is to take it to machine shop if its your first time. Look around for one if you don't know one,don't go to the first you see.
    Owner of Jakes FSJ Junkyard 91 Jeep Cherokee /2006 3500 Dodge AKA Babe the big blue puller
    Hire the handicapped, they are fun watch!

Comment

You want to know what to look for if a head has been rebuilt? The only tell-tale sign would be something the factory didn't do, such as a 3-angle valve job. Other than that, a rebuilt head would look exactly like a factory head. Even so, a 3-angle job is no guarantee that it's actually been rebuilt, they could have just done the valve job and still left old seals in or they could be worn out.

As far as doing it yourself, it depends on how far into the rebuild you want to go. You can save some cash if you tear your head down and put it back together, but leave all the important details including lapping the valves to the machine shop. You can borrow the valve spring compressor from Advance Auto parts, I've done that in the past.
      Last edited by smacaroni; 09-09-2011, 06:55 AM.
      1982 Wagoneer LTD, Slushbox, I6 w/ 4.0 head, Explorer rear spring, 4.0 timing set/cover and backwards fuel gauge. How many gallons per mile do you make?
      Proper grammar dictates the question is "may I borrow your BFH?" To which I answer "yes, you may, no take the bigger one, you'll need it".

Comment

Originally posted by CasualGourmet
        What do I need to be seeing for signs of it being rebuilt? They ran rust colored fuel from a very crappy tank, so I see soot....
        One sign that the heads were off since factory: Look for gouge marks on the block where someone chiseled between the head and block to break it loose.
        Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
        88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
        "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

Originally posted by Rich88
          One sign that the heads were off since factory: Look for gouge marks on the block where someone chiseled between the head and block to break it loose.
          I guess that's one way to do it. I've always just took a pry bar or breaker bar in one of the intake ports on the head and pop it loose.

Comment

Originally posted by The Colonel
            I guess that's one way to do it. I've always just took a pry bar or breaker bar in one of the intake ports on the head and pop it loose.
            Me too. I was just thinking back to some of the "evidence" I've seen from DSPOs.
            Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
            88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
            "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

Working...
            X