Edelbrock Performer intake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edelbrock Performer intake question

Any reason I shouldn't be able to install a performer #3731 (EGR variant) and still use my 2150 with an adapter?
    Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
    88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
    "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

I think you can, but why would you want to?
    Joey
    Jeep-Less

Comment

I would save for a 4bbl carb and do it all at the same time unless there was something wrong with my 2bbl manifold.
      Flint
      Ran when parked.
      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
        I would save for a 4bbl carb and do it all at the same time unless there was something wrong with my 2bbl manifold.
        When I did my intake manifold swap (edelbrock 2131) I knew that eventually I would want to go TBI. I nabbed a 1406 4 barrel carb on craigslist for $50 with a busted air cleaner stud hole that so far has done just fine for me. Try looking on craigslist or ebay for a cheap carb if you dont plan on keeping it.
        1990 GW:
        Mopar 440/727/229/D44F&R
        10:1, XE250H, DIY TBI. 4.10 locked f/r, SOA/SF, high steer, all the other fancy goodies. Check out my build on FSJNETWORK.

Comment

Originally posted by cajun_lad
          I think you can, but why would you want to?
          Well, supposedly it offers better fuel air distribution and increase in performance, to listen to various others.

Is this true or a myth? That's why I'm asking.
          88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...

Comment

Don't see how

A 4 barrel would offer smaller primaries & a disiplined driver could get better MPG's. There's no way a 2150 it is better in performance. Physics defy your logic. Check the cfm you'll find the 4 barrell primaries has less cfm than the 2150 & it increases when you start opening up the secondaries. The beauty of Spreadbores. As far as fuel distro how could that be possible for all intent & purposes the basic design is the same with the exception of the butterflies are smsller on the 4 bbl. Volume is less but distro is the same.The 2150 will use more gas in normal driving & the 4 barrell will have better performance in agressive driving. If you drive aggresively all the time the two barrel will not out perform the 4 barrell. Well except maybe on mileage. Clarify only when the 4 barrell is open!! All of this is assuming your going to use the correct size 4 barrell & not a 1000 Cfm unit. I'm not going to chase down the numbers here but the 2150 is a 475 CFM if I'm not mistaken & the Edlebrock 600 cfm has about 325 CFM Primaries. The 2150 if tuned perfect & the Edlebrck tuned perfect the 2150 will lose at normal driving. Open up the 4 barrell & you smoke the 2150. Putting the 2150 on a performer as discussed before is like putting a restrictor plate on the motor. I'm Really at a loss here as to why you would put the performer on & then put the 2150 back on. It will only have the same performance. Well maybe a tiny change but not worth the work. The intent of the manifold is to get the engine breathing better putting the 2150 back on is like COPD.

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Edlebrock performer intake
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

But wait...there's more

Originally posted by serehill
              The intent of the manifold is to get the engine breathing better putting the 2150 back on is like COPD.
              Hey, I never claimed I knew what I was doing, which is why I'm asking! And I appreciate the physics lesson. Up until now I've been stock, and not into "performance" enhancements. I simply assumed that the Performer intake would provide a better flow path, even if I stuck with the 2150.

But let me take this one step further: My ultimate goal is to convert to GM 350 TBI. I've got all all the parts and will proceed probably in September. With this in mind, does using the Performer intake make any sense?

Comment

Rich

Didn't mean to lecture. I was simply answering the question in depth & why. Please take it as face value. There's tons of things I don't know for sure.
                Honestly I would save my money & invest it in your goals which is a cool idea. I'm working towards a similar goal I have a Hemi with a 545 sitting in the works with MSD intended to stay intact. I like it in my magnum & can't wait to see what my mileage is going to be. It's by wire technology & I don't know jack about it. The truth is the intake is for high volume air & your putting a low volume carb on it. The carb was originally designed to restrict the motor down to make in pollution compliant. Along with the air pump that adds air to the exhaust. So you wind up with a high volume intake & a low volume carburator that pretty much takes you right where you started. I simply thought you would like to know why.

What you're asking is Myth.

80 Cherokee
                360 ci 727 with
                Comp cams 270 h
                NP208
                Holley 4180
                Msd total multi spark.
                4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

Originally posted by serehill
                  Didn't mean to lecture. ....what you're asking is Myth.
                  LOL....I was looking for lecture. I admit I'm not sure what I'm doing with this, and want to avoid wasting time & money. And yes, I did want to know why. Use of Bernoulli' principle for gas flow is permitted if not encouraged.

But in street language, what I'm walking away with is that use of a hi performance intake with a two barrel is as useful as headers below 1000 rpm.

Tnx...

Comment

You Know

Reading Jeepstress's thread this morning did humble me & Thanks for understanding & great attitude Rich. This is the greatest forum I have ever seen ! Although this forum is diverse in answers, using a democratic format I can get the right answers. There's a million Opinions out there buddy & mine is just one of many. Since every one has different goals you just never really know what the final answer is.

One mans analogy is another mans conundrum. The street analogy works for me.

80 Cherokee
                    360 ci 727 with
                    Comp cams 270 h
                    NP208
                    Holley 4180
                    Msd total multi spark.
                    4" rusty's springs

Comment

Working...
                    X