New guy and Jeep newb -- be nice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy and Jeep newb -- be nice

Well, it happened. I have finally jumped with both feet into Jeepville. My name is Derek and I live in Kennewick, Wa. aka Tricities. My wife and I have been looking for a few years to purchase a "project" to fix up and do a little recreational offroading with friends.

This weekend we picked up a '76 GW that my buddy found on craigslist. It came with a 304 in it that the previous owner swapped into it when the 401 died. I got it and the 401 for $500 cash. I am currently ripping the guts outta the 401 to rebuild it, bigger and better, so I can stick it back where it belongs.

It sat for 18 mths in outside storage, so it didn't start (due to a dead battery). When I got it home, I added 8 gallons of gas and some fuel dryer to the tank, hooked up the battery charger and checked the plugs. I got it started with some starting fluid and it ran for 20 seconds before stumbling on it's face and dying. After repeated trys, it would run for 10-15 seconds, then stumble and die. On the final attempt it ran, started to backfire out the carb then spit a fireball out of the carb which lite some tranny fluid on the intake manifold on fire... I had a extinguisher nearby so after dousing it with the nasty powder the fire was out and I gave up on the 304 running

Once I figure out how to upload pics I'll add some.
    '76 FSJ Wagoneer 360/TH400/Q-trac | SOA front | rear shackle flip in rear | Performer intake | 670 Truck Avenger | CS-144 | Mallory dizzy | 33" Bighorns |

401 status: tore down, parts collection in progress... Aka "Beastie".

NEWB to FSJ world, currently wandering... absorbing... learning all there is to learn.

Originally posted by ORNJKRUSH
    Well, it happened. I have finally jumped with both feet into Jeepville. My name is Derek and I live in Kennewick, Wa. aka Tricities. My wife and I have been looking for a few years to purchase a "project" to fix up and do a little recreational offroading with friends.

This weekend we picked up a '76 GW that my buddy found on craigslist. It came with a 304 in it that the previous owner swapped into it when the 401 died. I got it and the 401 for $500 cash. I am currently ripping the guts outta the 401 to rebuild it, bigger and better, so I can stick it back where it belongs.

It sat for 18 mths in outside storage, so it didn't start (due to a dead battery). When I got it home, I added 8 gallons of gas and some fuel dryer to the tank, hooked up the battery charger and checked the plugs. I got it started with some starting fluid and it ran for 20 seconds before stumbling on it's face and dying. After repeated trys, it would run for 10-15 seconds, then stumble and die. On the final attempt it ran, started to backfire out the carb then spit a fireball out of the carb which lite some tranny fluid on the intake manifold on fire... I had a extinguisher nearby so after dousing it with the nasty powder the fire was out and I gave up on the 304 running

Once I figure out how to upload pics I'll add some.
    Welcome and I would have loved to have seen that on video.
    91 Grand Wagoneer "Final Edition"
    DeWooded
    6 inch Hellcreek lift.
    Rhino Grill
    BFGoodrich MT T/A KM2 33X10.5. R15
    Offenhauser Dual Port 360 Intake
    Holley 600cfm

If are not living on the Edge you are taking up to much room.
    ##########
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3172261

Comment

'76 FSJ Wagoneer 360/TH400/Q-trac | SOA front | rear shackle flip in rear | Performer intake | 670 Truck Avenger | CS-144 | Mallory dizzy | 33" Bighorns |

NEWB to FSJ world, currently wandering... absorbing... learning all there is to learn.

Comment

COOL Find!

One thing I noticed is that the rear lift appears to be stock wag sag springs with a ton of blocks. BAD JUJU for axle wrap and wheel hop that will break stuff.

The front picture is dark but looks like a Spring Over Axle setup or lift springs which is Good!

Glad she didn't burn down on you!

There are many helpful folks who visit this forum and are happy to share their knowledge to help you out so don't be shy!

Jim
        KY7DX/6
        76 401 Wagoneer *The Gag-O-Neer*
        77 360 W/T Cherokee Chief *Blair Jeep Project III* http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=113707

Sacramento, CA USA

Comment

i agree with Tatsadasayago on most of it luck find i just got a 78 waggy that im redoing beatiful find i would get those blocks outa there be4 something breaks
          love it,live it,be it JEEP!!!!

79 cherokee- dd on 36s

78 wagoneer-rebuilding

Comment

Ya, it looks like some smart guy tack welded a piece of 2" sq tubing between the axle and springs... Adding to list of TODO's.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Comment

My brother has been running on a 3" piece of rectangular tubing for 15 years. He doesn't mind the tacky look.

Nice wagoneer - I saw that one on the CL - very cool. I just picked up a Gladiator this weekend and went through the exact same thing. Ran a little, back fired through the carb and then would only run on ether.

First off, the fuel needs to go. With the ethanol these days it attracts water like crazy. Second check ignition. Points and plugs. If the 304 could run you could have a fun truck for the rest of the snow storms this year.

Welcome aboard!
              78 Wagoneer, 401, Turbo400, QT, Posi Rear, 4" lift, 33X10.5 BFG
              69 Gladiator, Buick 350, T18, 14B, 44HD, Cross-over HIgh Steer, Hydroboost, 6" Lift, QR78 Buckshots
              63 CJ5, 302 Ford

Owner Buckstop Truckware, Inc
              www.buckstop.biz

Comment

Welcome from NC. Clean looking Wag very nice.
                Just Empty Every Pocket
                1980 Jeep Cherokee W/T
                Nice Jeep Bro!!!! Do some Jeep Stuff!!!!.

Comment

I see B(o) (o)bies... Nice score and welcome.
                  Brad Smith
                  79 J20
                  360/NV4500
                  D44/D60/3.31s
                  past rigs -
                  86 J10
                  80 J10
                  79 Chief

Comment

Welcome to the land of empty pockets and unfinished projects....

Looks like you found a nice one to start with.
                    Jeff

'43 cj2a
                    '51 Willys p/u
                    '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                    '68 Panel Delivery
                    '74 CJ5
                    '75 J-20 Wrecker
                    '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                    '77 J-10 p/u
                    '79 Cherokee
                    '88 Grand Wagoneer
                    '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

great find for the price good luck!
                      jason

Comment

Great purchase! Welcome to the madness.
                        God grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails I cannot crawl,courage to crawl the twisted trails I can and the wisdom to keep tire side down.

Comment

Excellent find your on your way. Do it right the first time, and keep a lookout for parts in the for sale section. By the way You suck

Comment

My name is Mark and I have a Jeep addiction...

wow, its not rusted through or nothin'. Nice start.
                            Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
                            Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

Welcome from South Jersey! Looks like your off to great start already with it being a '76.

You must have really long legs to drive it like that. Your nickname wouldn't be "Hightower" would it?

JR
                              [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
                              1966 mustang fastback
                              '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

Working...
                              X