Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tearing down the 79 Chief... First engine removal..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tearing down the 79 Chief... First engine removal..

I did all that work to get the 1 tons under the Chief, and now I have decided to swap them under my newly aquired 75 Chief..

I want to keep the T-18 also, so I decide to pull the engine/tranny/case all together..

It took me just over 5 hours from start to finish. I can probably shave of about 2 hours if I ever do it again the same way... My learning curve was a bit slow at times..

Here is what came off first..

Striped down..

The shifter on the tranny made it impossible to get the combo out with the short chain that came with my hoist. I had to use another chain to gain a few extra inches. It didnt fit that good, but it was secure..

Here is how it sits now...

Anyone need a motor? Its in the sale section...

Nice!

Yep, you can remove a front clip in one piece, 10-12 bolts and a half hour. Raddy arm bolts are the biggest PITA (long extension and a open ended wrench in the access area. Done it myself more than once. Good move, the Levi body was far more interesting.
    1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
    1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

Must of been fun removing combo with the tranny shifter still hooked up.
      It is real easy to remove. Now would be a good time to install your d20 twinstick.

Comment

nice work, what hi steer arms did you go with on your 60?
        88' grand wag- finally a driver instead of a project

Comment

Working...
        X