X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Seat - Baby Seats?

Hey all,

I did a search here and didn't come up w/ much so here goes:

My family and I like to take long trips out West (from St. Louis, MO) to go wheelin' in Utah, Arizona, Colorado, etc. We've been doing so for years in my 1991 XJ. It's now at about 8" lift, 33" tires, locked front and rear w/ 4.56 gears plus lots of other offroad goodies.

While it's been a bit underpowered on the interstates and highways it has never let us down offroad. I've wheeled it on some much more extreme terrain on some club runs too... it's been a great rig. The engine is showing early signs of needing a rebuild so keep that in mind as you read further.

We're expecting our 3rd little "tanker" this May and I'm concerned that I won't be able to get 3 kids, me, my wife and all our gear plus spare parts, tools, etc. into my XJ and have it keep up w/ traffic on the roads, etc. In a little over a year from now (once the little one is about 1yr. old) we plan to get back out West for some more adventures. This will mean 2 baby seats plus a booster seat for my oldest (who will almost be 5 then).

So instead of dumping any more money into my XJ... I thought an FSJ (Wagoneer) would be my salvation

But I looked at one over the weekend and I'm a little worried

It just seemed as though the Wagoneer wasn't much wider in the back seat than my XJ. It certainly has LOTS more storage space in the back AND a much more powerful engine. But, if I can't get 3 kids in the back seat I'm not much better off than I am in my XJ.

I gotta be able to put 3 kids in there, plus have a more powerful engine, plus have more storage room!

Can anyone here help me out? Can you get two baby seats and a booster in the back seat?

Doing the 3rd row thing is probably not feasible since that would eliminate lots of storage space. I guess I could do a custom center jump seat back there.

Any help would be appreciated... I'm on the cusp of making a deal on a Wagoneer and putting my XJ up for sale but I need help before I pull the trigger on all this.

THANKS!!!

Heath
    "my Jeep doesn't leak, it's just marking it's territory"

A stock Waggy doesn't have rear shoulder belts, so a booster in the rear is a no-go. Baby seats work just fine.

I currently have a booster in the front passenger seat (fine because no airbags in these ancient beasts) and my son loves it. You might be able to fit three full car seats in the rear.

Comment

Three car seats wont fit in the rear if one is a infant carrier..

Your best bet is to put the two older kids back there in the toddler seats that have harnesses. Britax makes one that is good for kids up to 110 lbs. Then you can put the new one up front inbetween you and the wife. After the new one outgrows the carrier, you SHOULD be able to stuff another seat in the back for the three of them.

I was able to make 3 fit, but it was TIGHT!! We have quite the collection of car seats by now, and I had to get all three of the narrowest ones to make it work..

Comment

We have put 3 back there but it gets tight. We normally have at least one in a booster seat when we have that many. As far as the shoulder belts that isn't too much of a problem. If you do a search on here you can find some post about putting them in. The anchors in the roof are already there. All you have to do is bolt in an anchor on the wheel well.

I do think it has more room than the XJ. That is what we sold to buy the wag.

Don
        Don Martin

79 cherokee chief
        2" Body Lift
        33"X12.5"

79 Wagoneer limited
        Restored

78,79, 82, 87 all rolled up into one.

Comment

Welcome! We put a car seat in the front between us.
          http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...4&id=572732218

It is a little tight for the adults but our daughter loves it.
          1991 Grand Wagoneer
          1985 Grand Wagoneer
          1970 J3800 Camper Special
          Jeep Pictures and Advertising

Comment

Originally posted by Earl&Mary
            Welcome! We put a car seat in the front between us.
            http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...4&id=572732218

It is a little tight for the adults but our daughter loves it.
            Could you repost that pic? Needs a login to view it

I'm assuming you are putting an older child up front?

Comment

Thank you all for the informative replys!

I'm going to take some measurements next time I look at a Waggy.

Adding shoulder harnesses sounds like a good idea. I guess I could then try:

==================Waggy Front==================

front door:: Mr. Tanker + Mrs. Tanker :: front door

rear door:: booster seat + baby seat + baby seat ::rear door

==================Waggy Rear===================

I think we'll wait until the new one is out of the baby carrier (pumkin seat) before we go wheelin'.

I don't mind adding a "sport bar" to the back if I could get a center shoulder harness there too. I could put a lower cross bar too in order to provide anchors for the seat's head rests. Heck, I'd prefer to have a whole roll cage in it.

Essentially, I'm going to have about 1.5 years to get my new Waggy ready for the family so I don't mind taking on some custom mods, etc. to get 'er ready. This has to keep my most precious cargo safe so I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

Any other ideas, suggestions???

Comment

You can put in rear shoulder belts.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Yes, you are bolting the anchor point to sheetmetal. However, I backed mine up with several layers of fender washers (REALLY large washers with a really small hole). I would expect them to hold fairly well, despite the disclaimers on my website.

For the super paranoid, you could put a large reinforcing bar underneath. There's plenty of room in those wheel wells.
                Ethan Brady
                1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

Here it is. Our daughter is five in this picture. It is a little tight but it would let you seperate the two in the back seat.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Earl&Mary; 12-03-2007, 12:55 PM.
                  1991 Grand Wagoneer
                  1985 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

Here it is. Our daughter is five in this picture. It is a little tight but it would let you seperate the two in the back seat.
                    Hey she even has a foot rest.
                    Don Martin

79 cherokee chief
                    2" Body Lift
                    33"X12.5"

79 Wagoneer limited
                    Restored

78,79, 82, 87 all rolled up into one.

Comment

Does she control the radio?

Comment

She thought she had a footrest until I told her no. That plastic door wouldn't last long as a footrest.

Yes she does control the music. She can push the buttons with her toes.

And hey who says FSJs didn't come with cup holders - they are right there on the glovebox door!
                        1991 Grand Wagoneer
                        1985 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

Maybe the 3rd seat would be do-able if you towed a small trailer for your stuff??
                          '91 Grand Wagoneer- New Long Block 05-10 W/ Edelbrock Performer Manifold, Carb, & HEI upgrade w/Taylor wires...and lotsa CHROME!--Chevy S-10 Steering box upgrade--3" body lift--31' BFG's
                          2006 Harley Davidson 1200 Custom Sportster--
                          2008 Harley Davidson 1200 Low Sporster
                          '86 Chevy G20 Van
                          '96 Pontiac Grand AM

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Could I ask someone to do me a favor?

I realize the interior styling is probably a little different between year models but could someone measure across the back seat area of their rig? Measure from inside one armrest to the other so I know what the minimum spacing is there in the back area. Let me know what year Waggy you have too.

I wedged in our infant carrier between our two baby/toddler seats currently in our Honda Pilot. I believe it may be possible to get all 3 of these things in about a 53-54" space. My XJ is right at 52" between the rear armrests so it's definitely a no-go at this point (well for that and other reasons).

I won't get to go back and look at this one Waggy I'm looking at until after the 19th of December and I'd like to at least know whether I'm going to get a Waggy and ditch my XJ or whether even the Waggy won't suit my needs. So if someone could get that measurement for me that would be great.

THANKS!

Comment

From arm rest to arm rest in the back of Herc (1988 Grand Wag) is 54 inches. Hope that helps!
                              1988 Grand Wagoneer AKA "Hercules"

Comment

Working...
                              X