Ideas, would it work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas, would it work.

Due to the j-10 being so old i was forced to buy something newer for my rig for now, but i just can't get the j-10 out of my mind. Before the new wrangler was released there were some short lived ideas of putting a j10 cab on a baby jeep frame, but they were to narrow for the cab. Now I have an idea in my head of putting the j-10 cab and front on a JK frame and suspension and running a flatbed, would this idea be plausable? say you found a new jeep that rolled but the frame was still good. Just ideas.
    You'd have a new suspension and frame etc. but look like your from the 70's. What do you think? Beyond having a lot of wireing to do it looks like it might work.

Jeep Dimensions
    rig - WB - length - Width
    ============================
    J10 118.8 194.0 78.9
    JK 095.4 152.8 73.7
    JKU 116.0 173.4 73.9
    95 XJ (dd)
    59' Willys

I wouldnt thing it would be too hard to overcome that 5" difference... Plus... Anything is possible if your pockets are deep enough..

Go for it...
    Last edited by Dmntxn77; 11-22-2007, 11:13 AM.

Comment

If you have any experience at fab work and welding, easy enough to make new body mount bracketry to line up with the cab and core support. The flat bed can be made to fit existing mounts and a couple of new ones.
      Art
      ASE Master Collision Tech
      "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

Bottom line is if you have knowhow in welding, and ability at fabricating the next coming of God out of raw material and thin air using only crude and rusty tools and your imagination then you're golden.

Otherwise call it quits and buy a Discovery.

Ouch! Did I say that?

Sorry, man! But this is more or less what it is. The act of mongrel manufacture usually results in the operator some time later at some point in the task asking themselves something like "If I could turn back the hands of time and ask myself: 'Do I really wanna do this?'...."

Comment

Personaly, I wouldn't bother. Seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth. But this is America and if you want to do it go for it. Built not bought does tend to give one a higher quality of bragging rights.
          David V.

'81 J-10 Laredo AMC 304 v8 727 tf trans
          np 208 t-case 33" mud kings

"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."

Every man has a 6 pack, just some of us chose to carry it in one container.

Comment

I like the lines of the J-10 better, but how about doing one of these:
            http://www.aev-conversions.com/products/brute/

I did not see anything on the website about doing the same pick-up conversion on a new JK, but maybe they are working on one?
            One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
            http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
            95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
            50 CJ3A
            77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by JPSwapMohn
              I like the lines of the J-10 better, but how about doing one of these:
              http://www.aev-conversions.com/products/brute/

I did not see anything on the website about doing the same pick-up conversion on a new JK, but maybe they are working on one?
              I need to go take a cold shower now!
              David V.

'81 J-10 Laredo AMC 304 v8 727 tf trans
              np 208 t-case 33" mud kings

"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."

Every man has a 6 pack, just some of us chose to carry it in one container.

Comment

Working...
              X