No announcement yet.

New member in PNW - 1985 J20 survivor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think you'd be gaining anything on your truck. It would give you something to do with the GC carcass, but........how would that be improving the truck?
    Last edited by Strode; 01-31-2015, 12:12 AM.
    Brad
    (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Originally posted by Strode
      I don't think you'd be gaining anything on your truck. It would give you something to do with the GJ carcass, but........how would that be improving the truck?
      Gains:
      - Overdrive and lockup converter
      - Multipoint EFI
      - Swaps are cool

Losses:
      - Lots and lots of work
      - Original powertrain has half the mileage (but probably 1/10 the quality control)
      - OEM is cool. AMC is cool. Mid-80s OEM AMC is absolute junk, but somehow cool.
      '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
      High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkMonohue
        Gains:
        - Overdrive and lockup converter
        - Multipoint EFI
        - Swaps are cool

Losses:
        - Lots and lots of work
        - Original powertrain has half the mileage (but probably 1/10 the quality control)
        - OEM is cool. AMC is cool. Mid-80s OEM AMC is absolute junk, but somehow cool.
        What kind of mileage did you get on the GC? I'd think the truck would even be heavier?
        Brad
        (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Comment

• Originally posted by Strode
          What kind of mileage did you get on the GC? I'd think the truck would even be heavier?
          Certainly I wouldn't expect the truck to get better mileage than the GC, but better than the truck currently gets would be nice. The GC was pulling 13-14 around town, 17-18 highway. The truck averages 9-10 in winter and 11 in summer. Weight is pretty close either way, IIRC.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• This afternoon, most of the old ZJ went away. It was sad watching it go. Still, I've seen others structure their lives around the ownership of undriveable vehicles, paying for storage year after year, dragging them around, and it's not something I want any part of. So it's gone now.

Since I was at the shop, I finally got the front pads and rotors replaced this afternoon. The front wheel bearing grease looked like it was old enough to vote. Washed that out, repacked the bearings, painted the front hubs, slid it all back together.

Halfway through the operation the water pump puked all over the floor.

Comment

• I really like this truck. I'm a M715, Grand Wagoneer guy, but I like this truck. Old, basic, and clean.

Comment

• Originally posted by teking
                I really like this truck. I'm a M715, Grand Wagoneer guy, but I like this truck. Old, basic, and clean.
                Thanks. Old and basic I'll give you. Clean is a relative term. But then it does sort of split the difference between an M715 and a GW, so maybe that's part of the appeal.

I should drive this truck more. Maybe I'll drive it tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                X