Found out some new steering box interchange info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found out some new steering box interchange info

Sorry it has been awhile since I have posted over here. I have kept up some, but mostly just reading

Anyway, we have know for some time that that 82-01 S-10 steering boxes are an excellent replacement. Then some guys wanted something faster then that and have been hunting the little more rare 96-01 ZQ8 or 87-92 Z28 steering box.

This is the new info, 92-98 Grand Cherokee's use a 12.7:1 steering box and it is a swap for s-10's. If this will swap on the s-10, this means it will swap on the the FSJ.

Now you can have that fast ratio steering you have wanted, but in something a little more common to get your hands on.
    SOLD - NO LONGER A FSJ OWNER
    http://tnfsj.org/
    87 GW- BUG (BIG UGLY GUZZLER)
    Edelbrock intake,Carter Competition Carb, mild cam, HEI Distributor, S-10 Steering box, 3 inch body lift, 3.5 inch AAL lift, GM truck shackles, 2 inch rear blocks, 33x12.50's

Originally posted by cttandy

This is the new info, 92-98 Grand Cherokee's use a 12.7:1 steering box and it is a swap for s-10's. If this will swap on the s-10, this means it will swap on the the FSJ.

Now you can have that fast ratio steering you have wanted, but in something a little more common to get your hands on.
    I saw that when I was researching before I installed a S10 box. Attached is the link with the info. I wasn't as interested in the fast ratio as I was in having more road feel.

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref29.html

Comment

I 've seen this in an article.

It claimed the Z box was stiff to steer with oversized tires sitting still & a challenge off road. I don't do that much off roading but it would make sense in rock & such. it's also not a solution on anything but later models. unles you want to modify your fittings.

80 Cherokee
      360 ci 727 with
      Comp cams 270 h
      NP208
      Edlebrock performer intake
      Holley 4180
      Msd total multi spark.
      4" rusty's springs
      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

Am I the only one here that likes the stock steering?
        1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

I don't mind it too much. Feels pretty plush IMO. Wouldn't mind it being a little faster off road, though
          Justin
          '72 J2000 360 4bbl T18 D20
          "It's all about the fun-per-gallon vs the miles-per-gallon"--Gamber68

Sponsored by Jake's Full-Size Jeep Junkyard

Comment

Would all the hose fittings match up between the ZJ and the S10?
            Project: 1979 Wagoneer 360, Turbo 400, Q-Track, and Dana 44's
            Lovingly refereed to as the "The Wagon"...
            Daily Driver: 2008 Jeep Commander Rocky Mountain Edition 4.7L, Q-Trac II
            http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll58/jeepxk/DSC08388.jpg

Comment

Yes
              David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
              83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
              10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

Originally posted by BGW
                Am I the only one here that likes the stock steering?
                No. The firmer feel of the S10 box translates into HEAVY steering when the going gets tough off-road. I am looking to swap the S10 box off my J10 for something with more assist... e.g. a J20 box. I have a J20 box on my M715 and it is a DREAM to steer 11R16 military tires. My brother thinks it has too much assist, but there is no such thing on an off-road vehicle that gets driven over boulders.
                1989 Waggy=360/727/NP229/D44's/8"lift/36's/3.31's
                1985 J20=The powertrain donor to my M677. But thinking about resurrecting the carcass as a short wheel base, topless, bobbed J20.
                1982 J10 Sportside=360/727/NP208/D44HD+TruTrac/D60+DetroitLocker/4" lift/35's/4.10's
                1967 M715=360/T98/NP205/38"XL/5.87's
                1964 M677=360/727/NP208 build in process

Comment

I would bet

Originally posted by Dumpy
                  I don't mind it too much. Feels pretty plush IMO. Wouldn't mind it being a little faster off road, though
                  There's a lot of folks out there like the original steering. I for one don't. I don't utilize mine in conditions that warrant rocks or ruts that would make it difficult. I've been in these positions but haven't noticed any issues. Towing & highway driving crosswinds are less of an issue. Quick response lane changes are a +. With all of my other vehicles have R&P steering, this is a little more to my prfference. There's no right or wrong here. You might possibly change your mind if you were to try it. I wouldn't have mine any other way. But it is just my preference. I had no idea until I drove a chevy truck that was modified. Another advantage its it's so much easier to back a tailer & pull one. Whatever slack you have in your steering is cut in half.

80 Cherokee
                  360 ci 727 with
                  Comp cams 270 h
                  NP208
                  Holley 4180
                  Msd total multi spark.
                  4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

Thanks for the info -- I need to shop for a steering box soon. One thing I dislike about the Wagoneer's highly boosted steering is that it makes it tough to feel what the tires are doing in the tricky bits. It's not helpful when scrabbling for the last bit of traction to have steering that feels like a video game. I had an S-10 box on another FSJ with 33s. While it did require more effort, it was still easy enough to steer that a little kid could drive it in the rough.

S.J.
                    "Carpe MaƱana".

'83 Wagoneer
                    360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
                    T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

There is also some debate about the later model GW's having a stiffer feel. I maintain that the '86-up GW's have a stiffer steering more akin to the afformentioned S10 box. This is based on first-hand knowlege that my former '87 did, even after installation of a reman box, and my '76 has the "Cadillac" easy steering, and based on reports by others here. (heresay I know, but I trust you guys)
                      Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
                      Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

Excellent point

Originally posted by 710 Burner
                        There is also some debate about the later model GW's having a stiffer feel. I maintain that the '86-up GW's have a stiffer steering more akin to the afformentioned S10 box. This is based on first-hand knowlege that my former '87 did, even after installation of a reman box, and my '76 has the "Cadillac" easy steering, and based on reports by others here. (heresay I know, but I trust you guys)
                        Mine is an 80 3"body lift. 4" spring lift Upgraded sway bars. Gas charged shocks 33x12.50x15's. Do all that with a stock box & it's like your driving the SS Minnow.

80 Cherokee
                        360 ci 727 with
                        Comp cams 270 h
                        NP208
                        Holley 4180
                        Msd total multi spark.
                        4" rusty's springs

Comment

I was thinking of swapping in one of the Delpi-600 boxes, with the R&P spool valve setup, there was a guy on ebay that seemed to have or could get the various options (ratios, feedback feeling ...) but they are not cheap.
                          The old boxes are pretty programable as far as road feel vs. ease of turning by swapping the torsion rod (Caddy ones are soft, Z-28 Camaro's are hard , in general) as well as having lots of ratios and a couple bore sizes to play with, so you can do a lot with the old box if you are willing to dig in a little.

BTW (nice link)

Originally posted by The Colonel
                          I saw that when I was researching before I installed a S10 box. Attached is the link with the info. I wasn't as interested in the fast ratio as I was in having more road feel.

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref29.html
                          -----------------------------------------
                          Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
                          1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
                          1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
                          1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
                          1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
                          And the other stuff that gets driven
                          ----------------------------------------

Comment

For me, the only FSJ I've owned that had too "plush" steering was my 86 Waggy. I could steer it all day long with my pinky finger. And I didn't like not feeling the road. My 81 cherokee w/t with 31s (factory size) and slight lift was the stiffest but you could feel where the tires were going when off road.
                            Currently without
                            Formerly
                            1986 G.W. 360
                            1986 Eagle Wag
                            1985 G.W. 360
                            1984 Eagle Wag
                            1981 Wag 360
                            1978 Wag 401
                            1981 Cherk W/T 258
                            1966 Wag Super 327
                            Not counying XJs'.
                            [Did have a 94 & more recently a '97 GC with 5.2. for awhile. Just not the same! Now have the FSJ blues!

Comment

I've driven 83's, 85's and 88 FSJ's. I could not detect a difference in steering. <shrug>

And I'm one of those that likes the stock steering control (or lack of?!), too.
                              Ethan Brady
                              1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

Working...
                              X