Best Place to Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Place to Search

Hi folks, I am obviously new to IFSJA and to FSJ's. I currently have $2,000 cash and am looking for my first FS. I have found a few items on craigslist but am curious if anyone knows some good places to look. I am hoping for a cherokee (2dr) with manual shift transfer case and most of all need it to be 75 or older to avoid the frustrations of California emissions requirements. I know at this price I won't get a perfect rig but that is kinda my point I want mechanically sound (ish) and rust free I can handle the rest.

Thanks!
    -Tony
    Tony

Craigslist or the classifieds here are your best bet.

If you haven't used it before try searchtempest.com for searching craigslist. You can set a distance and it will search any citys listings inside that range.

Good luck,
    Jim
    modified flares, removable top, OBA w/200psi tank,
    LQ4, 4L80e,NWF doubler w/upside down 203
    SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
    H1 wheels+tires (cut), hydroboost brakes
    custom shackle flip
    W/F150 springs
    -----Coming Soon-----
    snorkels,
    OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

Hey there Tony! Welcome to the infection... errr... obsession!

What part of the PRK are you located in? I'm in the Southern Blok in Ventura County; between L.A. and Santa Barbara.
      Originally posted by will e
      Keep in mind. Getting old is easy. Being old is hard.
      Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206

Comment

Welcome to the insanity and fun times that we call the world of FSJs! As far as finding a Cherokee that is '75 or older, that limits you to only '75 and '74. My '81 passed the CA smog with flying colors a couple months back, and it sat for 15 years, just needed a new sensor, so emissions don't really seem to be a big deal to me. But yeah, craigslist and classified here. I think you'd be better off looking here since the people here are great, know what they're doing, and they know what its worth. Some of the best people I've "met" are here. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the search and post pics when you get one!
        Andy
        '81 Cherokee Laredo W/T 258/Weber 32/36 DGEV/HEI/176/208 AMC 20/Dana 44 3.31 gears
        Status: Work in progress Miles: Less than 140K (as of the talk with the original/previous owner) "The Jeffrey"

Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151814 New pics: 5/18/12

Comment

Welcome to the land of empty pockets and unfinished projects...
          Jeff

'43 cj2a
          '51 Willys p/u
          '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
          '68 Panel Delivery
          '74 CJ5
          '75 J-20 Wrecker
          '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
          '77 J-10 p/u
          '79 Cherokee
          '88 Grand Wagoneer
          '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

Try also the junk yard in your area, sometime they sell vehicle.
            brizios.com
            Small Scale Jeeps
            Brizios

Comment

btpdragon had posted up a link to a craigslist ad for a '75 cherokee with a 401 recently here in socal. i think he had emailed the lister, but don't know if there was any updates. i think there is also a cherokee up in anza for sale that is a '75, but the owner has begun parting it. plenty of other cherokees around. i have my eye on a '81 with a bad motor that i think i could get for $600 and its in really good shape other than the mill. and i have a spare engine in the garage. i just don't have any more space as yet. i expect to have some rural land by years-end, and then i can grab some of these cheap jeeps.
              tommy
              '83 j10 pioneer 258/t5/208...gone
              '81 j10 sportside 258/t176/208
              '76 j10 shortbed 360/th400/QT
              '81 j10 sportside 258/tf999/208
              '74 j10 shortbed ...gone

Comment

the stars align.........

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...463763356.html
                tommy
                '74 j10 shortbed ...gone

Comment

I love to use Jaxed. It searches most of the major on-line selling places and you can filter by area.

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cg...mit=++++go++++
                  1988 Grand Wagoneer -Stock-Dark Baltic Blue
                  1989 Grand Wagoneer -Stock-White-

Comment

Originally posted by lycanthrope
                    Could be a good prospect ...

It's a desirable year and body style, and a 401. But it's not a creampuff, and I'd say it's priced high for what it is. Also, it's a Quadratrac, and all the baggage that entails ... If it's the car you want, go for it. If you keep it for more than a few years, the purchase price will be a very small component of the total when you add up all you'll spend on it.

Also realize that the more you spend up front, the less you will spend to get the car on the road and in good (that is, reliable) condition. People always sell cars for a reason, so expect another $2000 at least in initial expenses.

Good luck!
                    Tim Reese
                    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

X2 and I used autotempest.com (just autos and searches multiple search engines besides just CL.

Originally posted by blazer3664
                      Craigslist or the classifieds here are your best bet.

If you haven't used it before try searchtempest.com for searching craigslist. You can set a distance and it will search any citys listings inside that range.

Good luck,
                      Jim
                      You can teach what you know but you can only reproduce what you are.

It makes sense if you don't think about it.

Brad B.

Comment

I wouldn't spend 2k on that one.
                        being that it is on the back of a tow truck, and the poster doesn't seem to have much emotionally invested, i would guess that someone picked it up cheap and is trying to flip it for a profit. i wouldn't go more than 1k for that, and it would be mostly for the '75 year.

tommy
                        '74 j10 shortbed ...gone

Comment

Working...
                        X