Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boise's FSJs are killing me!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Boise's FSJs are killing me!

    So I have lived in Boise for about 7 weeks now.

    There are 2 Grand Wagoneers (that park outside), that are on two of the main ways to my house. I them see pretty much every day and they taunt me. Sunday I was planting an apple tree in my backyard and I heard a healthy sounding Carb'ed V8 purring down the road past my back yard so I looked over the fence and saw a pretty darn nice mid 70's two tone J-Truck drive by.

    On one of the major thorough fairs in northwest Boise there is a shop and twice, i have driven by and see a sweet looking early 70's/late 60's Glad parked out front.

    I have seen about 6 other FSJs in the time I have been here, either driving around, or parked outside of shops. I even saw a white late 80's G-Wag getting a smog check one day.

    I NEVER used to see this many FSJs in Ventura County CA. When I sold my Cherk, I was happy for a break from the constant wrenching but to be honest, I wish I had it right now! I soooooo miss the exhaust tone and the uncomfortable seats, the black center caps. Kaiserjeeps and I are still conspiring for me to pick up his truck in the early spring or late winter. I can hardly wait!

    I posted this a while ago
    Originally posted by rang-a-stang
    ...-If when you see another FSJ driving around but you're in another car makes you feel like watching your girlfriend kiss someone else...
    you might be a FSJ guy"

    on this thread:
    You might be a FSJ guy
    That is me EVERYDAY. Can anyone relate?
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy) https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images/smilies/frown.png
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...tom/drivin.gif
    00 Baby Cherokee https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...es/redface.png

  • #2
    Well welcome to ideeho.. I have a 71 and a 70 sitting here for you. The 70 is one of those deals where you might consider taking what you want off it and we could scrap the rest. It would save a trip for something that is not really savable. The 71 however needs your love big time... LOL I just gave a 70 wagoneer to 66stepsides for free. It too was pretty far gone. I sold the 64 CJ project. So my yard art is thinning. I will be selling in the spring and every rig gone eliminates one trip. Yahoo... If you have time to get the trucks gone, great. But if not they can winter over here. Glad you escaped the freedom hating commie state of Cali. When I order something and it says not for sale in California, it sickens me and I wonder how Cali's residents tolerate that or even get anything done.. The destruction of freedom is spreading up through Oregon and is hitting Washington so it will be a corridor of control. Then it will spread eastward... Just wait. Wait I am on a rant again. Please no skitzo viddys please... I will reel it in... Only a little bit though.
    Looking forward to seeing you..
    -----------------------
    Am I done yet?

    Holy Moly, I am done.....

    Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
    I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

    1969 1414X Wag,
    71 J4000 Rang-A-Stangs next project!!

    Building a m715 over at the m715zone
    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

    Comment


    • #3
      Smog check in Idaho?
      Sic friatur crustulum

      '84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

      Comment


      • #4
        YESSS!!! I have big plans for the 71! Perfect year and perfect rig for my plans! SOOOOOooooo excited! and camping with a buddy to boot!

        Not all parts "Not for sale in California" are denied becuase of CARB/smog requirements. For instance, it was pretty frustrating to find a good deal on a starter for my son's Ranger and then have shipping denied becuase it does not have the required cancer warnings. Yes. Cancer warning on a starter. There are a few things we will miss about living in the Golden State but that IS NOT one of them.

        I have no comment on Ideeeeho smog checks yet. I registered all 4 of our vehicles ('22 RV, '11 Pathfinder, '09 Mazda, and '00 XJ) over the last 2 months and none of them required a smog check to register. 6 weeks later I got a notice in the mail saying I need to get my XJ smogged by the end of October or face a $5 fine. It would pass CA smog no problem so I am not worried about it but I am not sure what their smog checks look like yet. I can say most of the smog stations I have seen up here look like a shed in a parking lot with a tarp for shade. The G-wag was parked in front of a smog shed with the hood propped open. I actually took a picture to text to babywag.
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy) https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images/smilies/frown.png
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...tom/drivin.gif
        00 Baby Cherokee https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...es/redface.png

        Comment


        • #5
          I wish I'd see another fsj around KC! I'm the only one and everybody freaks when they see it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Somewhere between 184 and 84 there was a guy that had 2 FSJs around where my buddy lived. Always wanted to knock on his door, but never had the time.
            I pulled up to the Chevron on Cole, south of Fairview once and ran into a guy with a beat up 85, so we talked for a few minutes.
            I got so lucky with salvage yard FSJs up there, was able to put the interior back together no problem!
            Wish the timing would've been better for us to get together before I moved us to AZ!!
            --Rob--
            1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan
            2008 BMW 535xi Wagon / Deep Sea Blue & Tan

            My build thread:
            https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
            My Howell TBI Install How-To:
            https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189877

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm glad you made it to Idaho

              Here I see a very occasional FSJ but for the most part I'm the only one and often meet people who have never seen one or say they haven't seen one in decades.


              Originally posted by rang-a-stang
              ...Sunday I was planting an apple tree in my backyard...
              By the way, wht kind of apple did you go with?


              Originally posted by rang-a-stang
              ...For instance, it was pretty frustrating to find a good deal on a starter for my son's Ranger and then have shipping denied becuase it does not have the required cancer warnings. Yes. Cancer warning on a starter...
              The other day I bought some sandpaper that came with the warning that "wood is known to to the state of California to cause cancer." At this point California should just post signs that everything causes cancer because nobody pays attention to their required warnings on virtually everything.
              Last edited by Crankyolman; 10-14-2022, 07:01 AM.
              '72 J4500

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Crankyolman
                ...At this point California should just post signs that everything causes cancer because nobody pays attention to their required warnings on virtually everything.
                No kidding, the liberal idiocy there is insane. Glad I escaped when I did, though 20 years earlier would've been even better. All the big cities are cesspools, tax money all goes to those who don't deserve it, businesses fleeing for less-taxed pastures, etc.
                --Rob--
                1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan
                2008 BMW 535xi Wagon / Deep Sea Blue & Tan

                My build thread:
                https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
                My Howell TBI Install How-To:
                https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189877

                Comment


                • #9
                  I bought my 88 off a used car lot off 26 in Garden City in 2004 for $2500. I saw more old iron up there than I have anywhere else. There were even a few original-looking 30's and 40's vehicles still being driven daily up there.


                  BTW, when I put my 88 in the body shop for all the work in Richmond, the guys in the shop asked a few time where it came from. It was so rust-free that they didn't believe it. Even had them call me once because another customer was looking at it and wanted to know where I found it.


                  And yes, there were lots of FSJ's around up there. I guess they used to put sand on the roads instead of the chemical stuff, so it didn't eat the metal as badly as other places. The lack of humidity helped too.


                  There was a shop in Garden City that still had an AMC service center sign out front. I would see FSJ's there regularly. I stopped once to talk to the guy, but he was a bit of a jerk, so I never went back.


                  I miss living up there, but the area has really grown and (smerk) seems to have attracted a lot of folks from CA..


                  I am in CO now, and it is trying really hard to turn into another CA here..


                  Back in 04, the 88 only required a tailpipe sniffer test. They never opened the hood or inspected anything. Actually, it was humorous to see some of the bombed out stuff that was on the road up there. May have changed now..with the CA influence.


                  Congrats on getting up there!
                  One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

                  88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
                  http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
                  95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
                  50 CJ3A
                  77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A lot of our vintage iron has been discovered and shipped out. (I'm personally responsible for sending a couple rust free late 60's chevy trucks to the midwest.) Funny thing is, last couple FSJ's I've parted out I literally couldn't give stuff away.
                    There are 2 rules to success in life...
                    Rule #1: Don't tell people everything you know.

                    1971 J-4700/Buick 350 Stage 1/TH400/D20/D44/D60/Koenig PTO Winch
                    2005 LJ Rubicon Pretty close to stock

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by inkedmonkey
                      I wish I'd see another fsj around KC! I'm the only one and everybody freaks when they see it.
                      That actually sounds awesome!
                      Originally posted by MysticRob
                      Somewhere between 184 and 84 there was a guy that had 2 FSJs around where my buddy lived. Always wanted to knock on his door, but never had the time.
                      I pulled up to the Chevron on Cole, south of Fairview once and ran into a guy with a beat up 85, so we talked for a few minutes.
                      I got so lucky with salvage yard FSJs up there, was able to put the interior back together no problem!
                      Wish the timing would've been better for us to get together before I moved us to AZ!!
                      I see a few FSJs in the Jalopy Jungle inventory. I have not made it out there yet (need some XJ parts) but hope to soon. I agree! We missed each other by a day or less a couple times! hahaha!
                      Originally posted by Crankyolman
                      I'm glad you made it to Idaho

                      Here I see a very occasional FSJ but for the most part I'm the only one and often meet people who have never seen one or say they haven't seen one in decades.

                      By the way, wht kind of apple did you go with?

                      The other day I bought some sandpaper that came with the warning that "wood is known to to the state of California to cause cancer." At this point California should just post signs that everything causes cancer because nobody pays attention to their required warnings on virtually everything.
                      Thank you, sir! Glad to be here!
                      Yours is also unique in that it is so much older than most FSJs running around. And a truck.
                      We went to a nursery up in Payette and they had apple trees with apples on them so we got to sample the actual apples from the trees we were buying. I really liked one with a German name (maybe Schneiderapfel?) but the wife was insistent on Empire so that's what we got, mostly becuase it is self pollinating. The apples tasted good right off the tree, too. I don't think we will be cider'ing any of them but maybe baking, maybe canning. I am also really hoping I can get the other apply tree in my backyard to start producing.
                      I am with you 100%! There are sooooo many cancer signs EVERYWHERE down there. No one reads them anymore.
                      Originally posted by MysticRob
                      No kidding, the liberal idiocy there is insane. Glad I escaped when I did, though 20 years earlier would've been even better. All the big cities are cesspools, tax money all goes to those who don't deserve it, businesses fleeing for less-taxed pastures, etc.
                      There are a lot of great things down there, too. We will miss quite a few things. BUT we are also glad to be gone. My car insurance more than halved when we switched but with the exact same coverage, vehicles, and drivers. I could go on and on about the politics but I will spare you all. Looking forward to having my vote count in the next couple weeks!
                      Originally posted by JPSwapMohn
                      I bought my 88 off a used car lot off 26 in Garden City in 2004 for $2500. I saw more old iron up there than I have anywhere else. There were even a few original-looking 30's and 40's vehicles still being driven daily up there.

                      BTW, when I put my 88 in the body shop for all the work in Richmond, the guys in the shop asked a few time where it came from. It was so rust-free that they didn't believe it. Even had them call me once because another customer was looking at it and wanted to know where I found it.

                      And yes, there were lots of FSJ's around up there. I guess they used to put sand on the roads instead of the chemical stuff, so it didn't eat the metal as badly as other places. The lack of humidity helped too.

                      There was a shop in Garden City that still had an AMC service center sign out front. I would see FSJ's there regularly. I stopped once to talk to the guy, but he was a bit of a jerk, so I never went back.

                      I miss living up there, but the area has really grown and (smerk) seems to have attracted a lot of folks from CA..

                      I am in CO now, and it is trying really hard to turn into another CA here..

                      Back in 04, the 88 only required a tailpipe sniffer test. They never opened the hood or inspected anything. Actually, it was humorous to see some of the bombed out stuff that was on the road up there. May have changed now..with the CA influence.

                      Congrats on getting up there!
                      That's good to hear! I love my Mazda and want to keep it until I croak. I was a little worried it may rust up here but it sounds like I may be OK. BTW, How's your truck coming along? Are you still drilling with the USAR?

                      Yes! That shop is still there; I drove by it last weekend. I posted on it a few years ago after one of our trips up here and you were not the only one to have that kind of feedback.

                      Smog check was:
                      1) Pull up, hand her my notice.
                      2) pop the hood, she looked for less than a second. Like, she could probably tell it was a straight engine but not long enough to recognize 4 or 6 cyl
                      3) Plug a cable into OBD2 port and asked me to start it.
                      4) it idled for about 2 minutes while hooked up, then she came out, handed me paperwork, said I passed, and I paid $20 to head out. All in all about 5 minutes, I never got out of my car, nothing stuck in the tail pipe, and she asked no questions.

                      CA Smog on my XJ would have been similar except they spend a good 10 minutes "inspecting", then charge you $45 or fail you for some stupid minor infraction.
                      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy) https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images/smilies/frown.png
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...tom/drivin.gif
                      00 Baby Cherokee https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...es/redface.png

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Herk
                        A lot of our vintage iron has been discovered and shipped out. (I'm personally responsible for sending a couple rust free late 60's chevy trucks to the midwest.) Funny thing is, last couple FSJ's I've parted out I literally couldn't give stuff away.
                        HAHAHA!!! That's the life with FSJs! The bigger the part, the farther the people are that want it! Selling an axle or fender in Idaho, You'll get people in FL, NJ, and Germany asking for shipping quotes. Trying to sell Quadratack E-Drive switch? no one needs it until you get sick of trying to sell it and throw it out. Right after the trash man leaves with it in his truck, you get 3 people asking if you still have it.
                        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy) https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images/smilies/frown.png
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...tom/drivin.gif
                        00 Baby Cherokee https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...es/redface.png

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hell yea welcome to IDAHO! if you ever make it to Coeur d alene hit me up!
                          1976 Cherokee chief
                          1970 AMC rebel THE MACHINE
                          1969 AMX
                          1965 mustang fastback
                          1972 international travelette
                          Yes I have a problem that?s why Iam here

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm up here in N ID too if you ever make it up. I have M715s and M725s. I know George is in S ID and takes his Cherokee on lots of trips. If you ever get a chance to go with him I'd highly recommend it.
                            https://www.overlandbound.com/forums...landing.11556/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by iapexl8r
                              Hell yea welcome to IDAHO! if you ever make it to Coeur d alene hit me up!
                              Originally posted by glenn715
                              I'm up here in N ID too if you ever make it up. I have M715s and M725s. I know George is in S ID and takes his Cherokee on lots of trips. If you ever get a chance to go with him I'd highly recommend it.
                              https://www.overlandbound.com/forums...landing.11556/
                              Hellz yeah, gentlemen!!! I will be up there in early spring to pick up my truck from Kaiserjeep and camp on his property a couple nights! We should plan a meet up at his place! you guys down?! He's kinda up in the mountains between CDL and Spokane.
                              I mean, I should run that by Al before I commit his place to a bunch of dudes crashing it! But knowing him, he will be all for it.
                              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy) https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images/smilies/frown.png
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...tom/drivin.gif
                              00 Baby Cherokee https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...es/redface.png

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X