Howell TBI Preliminary Preporation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howell TBI Preliminary Preporation

I am going to make the leap to TBI on my 79 w/t 360. Right now I am planning on installing the Howell AMC TBI for the AMC 360. I know there is some work that I can begin while waiting for the TBI itself...

I was hoping I could get some guidance here. I haven't ben able to get the installation instuctions from Howell's web site...I did look at Edelbrock's TBI installation on the web and it offers some items that will need removal or modification. ie: disable the air pump and air tubes, install O2 sensor bung on exhaust, remove fuel tank return line(?) what else can I perform while I await the TB ???

Anyone out there I can consult with on this adventure ?

Thanks in advance for your support...

Rick

I have installed a howell unit on both my rigs so i have a bit o experience

Lets see... IF you are gonna run a MSD ignition box - you MUST tell the folks at Howell when you order the EFI kit. There is a small"filter/module" in the main wiring harness that allows a MSD box to work correctly (or at all)

If you dont plan on using a msd box right away ( I highly recommend you do) ....but if you dont and later on decide to go that route - you will have to open up the harness and cut out and solder in a new module

You are going to need a fuelpump block off plate - either buy one or make your own

you are probably going to have to swap your intake as the TBI unit wont bolt directly on ( i'm pretty sure of this - someone else chime in) I had swapped mine to an edelbrock beforehand....

you must have a return line to the gas tank from the TBI unit

you will have to drill a hole and weld in a "bung" into the exhaust pipe for the O2 sensor

you may have to keep some/allnone the emissions cr@p if your area requires it...however the smog pump according to howell cannot be used in conjunction with their system (using the O2 sensor). guess it messes up the sensors readings

the wiring portion - in fact the whole installation is painless and almost fun

The tech support from howell is first class and they can help you out before and after your purchace

Trip
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

Thanks Tripwire...

So I do need have a return line to the tank...will the existing return line at the fuel fiter over the manifold work for this? Man I was'nt counting on having to change the intake manifold....ugh. I had converted my stock dizzy to the ready to run MSD dizzy...can I use it?

Thanks...

Rick

Comment

I reused the return line in both my rigs - dont see why it would be a issue...I would inspect the rubber tubing where the steel lines meet the gas tank and replace them if they are cracked or nasty the lines there and only there are low pressure so you will only need regular fuel line - not high pressure stuff used after the electric fuel pump

I would double check with howell about the manafold situation...perhaps they have changed things since I bought my two units, their number is 810-765-5100

you can run a MSD dizzy or your stock dizzy with the MSD box..I have both .....ya just have to make the commitment to run the MSD box or not

also be aware that the MSD box may not work with any tachometer you may have in your rig....they have a filter that you can buy as an add on to run whatever tach you want
        Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

more stuff to do

You will need to locate the ECM. I mounted mine in the glove box. I had to drill a hole in the firewall for the grommet and wiring harness.
          Seek out the authority to share his knowledge, be enlightened and fix it right the first time.

Comment

thanks DR E........

i forgot to mention the ECM......yep in a cool dry place for sure - it could also be tucked up under the dash but be sure to find a convienent place to mount the associated fuse holder and "jumper block/ connector thing " that activates the trouble fault codes/lets you hook up a scanner

Be sure to also install the fault light in a good spot - I used the unused "hole" or lens that would have been the low fuel warning light near my gas gauge

Trip
            Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

Comment

You should be able to source or build an adapter plate to mount the Throttle body to the stock manifold. Someone may chime in where they sell them. I have a Holley dominator in my garage but I think I want to see what gains I get on the stock manifold with TBI so i have something to compare the performance on the Holley.
              '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs

Comment

Originally posted by SnowShoe
                Thanks Tripwire...
                Man I was'nt counting on having to change the intake manifold....ugh.
                Rick
                SnowShoe -- if you are getting this howell kit - http://howellefi.com/customer/produc...cat=280&page=1

You will see it comes with an adapter plate to mount the TBI, no need to swap your manifold. I have had a Howell and currently have an affordable fuel injection with spark control and both kits were "complete" -

Check with Howell regarding your MSD dizzy -- Is it an HEI? or a stock replacement?

Good luck
                Last edited by rmorit01; 01-26-2010, 08:41 AM.
                79 Cherokee S

Comment

Yup. You don't NEED to swap your intake. If you do, make sure you tell Howell which intake you're actually going to use. It makes a difference.

The fuel pump block off plate comes with the Howell kit, IIRC. Either way, it's just a chevy plate.

And you WILL NEED your existing fuel return line, as mentioned.

You don't want to put your O2 sensor bung in yet because #1, your kit comes with one (so why buy an extra??) and #2, what are you going to plug the hole with until your kit arrives???

There's not a whole lot of prep needed to be done, honestly. I think you'd want to have everything in front of you before you go hacking away at things.

The one exception is finding your power source(s). You will need constant power (easy enough) as well as CRANK power (only on when you are trying to start the motor) and a power source that is on during BOTH CRANK AND RUN positions.

You can either find a source that is like this or use two relays to CREATE a power source like this. Since I don't use the stock ignition anymore, I use that power lead for my CRANK+RUN power source.
                  Ethan Brady
                  1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

Wow! Other than reliability, what kind of gas mileage can one expect?

Comment

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
                      what are you going to plug the hole with until your kit arrives???
                      sparkplug
                      79 J10 Honcho 360/T-18/D20
                      Summit 8600 cam, GM TBI
                      78 Wagoneer 360/TH400/QT

Comment

Originally posted by KyooMac
                        Wow! Other than reliability, what kind of gas mileage can one expect?
                        Well I put a howell kit on my scrambler with it modified for spark control and my milage went from 12 carb to 12.5 tbi
                        I then swapped the kit onto my J20 360 and my milage went from 11.5 carb to 12 tbi
                        Scrambler ran preformer intake, MSD dizzy, J20 has stk 2bbl intake and TFI (stock) dizzy.

My Autoprom is suppose to arrive today so I can start playing with the programing, but if you have a well tuned carb, don't expect for the TBI to pay for itself with milage increase... now if your carb is shot, you will see more, but a carb kit is $50....

Comment

So, there's no real advantage?

Comment

Originally posted by KyooMac
                            So, there's no real advantage?
                            Aside from easy hot starting, easy cold starting, virtually eliminating vapor lock problems, eliminating altitude issues (running too rich or too lean), improved driveability, no flooding out when off-camber or bouncing around on rocks and the ability to tune without getting your hands dirty, no, there are no real advantages.
                            Ethan Brady
                            1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys...all is very helpfull.

One more question....here in the Metroplex I will have a sniffer test anually. Is there any reason I should worry about the TBI vs. carburator fed AMC 360 geting by the "nose"?...just checking...

Oh...BTW...My purpose for this conversion is to acheive better reliability in all driving conditions (altitude, cool,hot, and easy starts). I don't expect measureable fule savings from a properly tunned carb....there in lies the problem.

Thanks......

Comment

Working...
                              X