Why/ Why not TBI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why/ Why not TBI?

So I have done little searching in this forum for TBI swaps. I cant find any that have done this. Is there some reason that the chevy 4.3 TBI setup isn't preferred? I am looking into installing this setup on my 66' 327 since it is torn down right now.

Any info or if I am missing something I would love some feedback!
    'Sold' 66' Gladiator

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=113463

"Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam"...I will either find a way or make one...

A bunch of guys have the TBI setup. Are you looking into doing a straight 6 or a V8?
    You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
    '88 GW
    '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

I think the 4.3 may have had smaller injectors (which is no big deal, since I assume you will be replacing them anyway) but other than that the 4.3 TBI and the 5.7 TBI setup is going to be the same (Well the Eprom code, but you have to hack that for your 327)
      Only the 454's got the big TBI body, all the rest used the same body.

Mike D.
      -----------------------------------------
      Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
      1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
      1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
      1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
      1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
      And the other stuff that gets driven
      ----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by grand_wag_85
        A bunch of guys have the TBI setup. Are you looking into doing a straight 6 or a V8?
        AMC 327. I have heard that the TBI units on Astro's are physically the same as the 350's, exept the ECU. It doesent sound right to me but I'll try and clarify that point with Adam when he gets in to work. The Simplicity of this swap is the appealing part to me.
        'Sold' 66' Gladiator

Comment

Originally posted by mdill
          (Well the Eprom code, but you have to hack that for your 327)

Mike D.
          So what does this entail?
          'Sold' 66' Gladiator

Comment

Click on my sig file link and read both my TBI pages. I also have a link to the Binder planet's Injection forum. IMHO, that is the best source of TBI info in one place. Read it several times over and then it will start to make some sense.

DIY-EFI has good stuff, but it's all over the friggin place and many of their links are dead, making it a confusing and frustrating site.

Bill's TBI FAQ @ Binder Planet will get you going and you will be able to decide if the conversion is something you want to do.

You don't have to understand hexidecimal, but you should be comfortable with the dragging and dropping concept.

My TBI page also details what I have done with my system.
            Ethan Brady
            1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

My thanks.

Sure appreciate how well the community takes care of people here. Thanks FSJ Guy, these links will be invaluable.
              'Sold' 66' Gladiator

Comment

Why not use the TBI from a 305 on a 327? These are physically the same as the 350 unit, but have "smaller" injectors. I'm pretty sure you can compensate for the increased displacement by increasing the fuel pressure.

305s grow on trees here in California.
                Rob
                1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
                Click for video

Comment

yup...

Originally posted by PlasticBoob
                  Why not use the TBI from a 305 on a 327? These are physically the same as the 350 unit, but have "smaller" injectors. I'm pretty sure you can compensate for the increased displacement by increasing the fuel pressure.

305s grow on trees here in California.
                  You had me at hello....
                  'Sold' 66' Gladiator

Comment

the 4.3 swap isn't used much for our FSJ's for a few reasons. while they are torquey enough, the fuel consuption is almost as bad as a 350. so why not get an extra two cylinders, more torque and not much more fuel consuption?

the 4.3 swap is pretty common in the toyota crowd.

Al
                    79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
                    99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
                    07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

Originally posted by AlsChopShop
                      the 4.3 swap isn't used much for our FSJ's for a few reasons. while they are torquey enough, the fuel consuption is almost as bad as a 350. so why not get an extra two cylinders, more torque and not much more fuel consuption?

Al
                      He's talking about the fuel injection, not the whole engine.
                      1990 Grand Wagoneer
                      Stock 360/727/229
                      Restoration in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by AlsChopShop

Al
                        What Chico said. I was going to swap either a Buick 3.8 or Chevy 4.3 into my Suzuki Samurai....now THAT would have been sweet! Of course, the Kaiser of Kalifornia said NEIN.
                        Rob
                        Click for video

Comment

Another way to go, in case you have not heard, is with your choice of on-engine hardware and the Megasquirt ECU. This avoids the entire question of reprogramming the GM ECU, since the Megasquirt ECU is programmed using your laptop computer. http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
                          Tim Reese
                          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Well that megasquirt will keep me occupied for the next couple weeks or so trying to read thru and understand it all! Thanks.
                            'Sold' 66' Gladiator

Comment

Originally posted by Sparklighter
                              Well that megasquirt will keep me occupied for the next couple weeks or so trying to read thru and understand it all! Thanks.
                              [content deleted - I no longer support MS]
                              Last edited by PlasticBoob; 03-17-2015, 04:53 PM.
                              Rob
                              Click for video

Comment

Working...
                              X