84 Grand Wagoneer Revival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well folks,

Went through gauge cluster this weekend, and despite being very very careful the plastic breaks down to near powder.

Replaced AMP gauge with new VOLTS gauge, and again despite being very careful, had some mistakes made.

Drilled new hole and right through existing solder on circuit board......DOH!

Nothing that a little wire and solder could not fix.

But, regarding the existing plastic that everything mounts to, not much to say except now saving up for a new Dakota vintage looking gauge set.

This poor old plastic took a real beating in the AZ desert heat the past 18 years, and got no justice but alas, it must go on serving for awhile longer.

Took out the heater fan switch, Mongo228 opened it up and cleaned contacts, gave it a good once over service check, and back together again.
    (yes, despite the mounting points being near gone, I was able to mount the heater controls)

A drop of WD40 on pivot pin for cold/hot temp selector, and pivots like brand new now.

One of the lens holders was melted, from hot bulb, so switched out with opposite side blank.

Had to modify something to hold the melted blank in the metal face where it mounts, so got creative with a piece of aluminum security strap and my bench vice. Nice and snug, and should outlast me, or the cluster itself.

Prepped wiring in the dash to accept the new Volt gauge, and checked new gauge on battery to be sure it works as intended.

Cleaned up the fuel & temp gauge contacts, checked wires serving those, and all checks out that they should work properly when cluster goes back in.

Glued 2 lenses back into the housing. Had to borrow a super fine tip makeup brush from my wife so not slopping glue where it was not needed. Thanks honey for the contribution to the cause

New bulbs and it will be ready. Looking to re-install this next weekend

20221119_142159 by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr

20221119_142131 by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr

20221119_133728 by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr

20221119_133748 (1) by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr

20221120_134441 by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr
    Last edited by devildog80; 11-20-2022, 02:52 PM.
    '81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Comment

• That looks awesome!

Do they not have just new circuit boards for your clusters? I know for mine, the Jeepsters use the same ones, so at Jeepsterman.com, I can get a new one for mine; I haven't researched the newer gauges.

Like I said, looking good!
      Current Rig:
      '71 Wagoneer (DD)
      B350/TH400/D20
      open knuckle D44 front (disc brakes)
      6-lug conversion rear
      http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...79#post1734879

Previous Rig:
      Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer
      .030 over 401, TBI, headers
      3" exhaust
      31x10.5s
      2" rear lift blocks
      custom headliner
      http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...77#post1734777

"The engineering side of me says that it's more than strong enough. The redneck side of me says that it's going to fall apart and I need to beef it up."--somebody I know

Comment

• Good job!

Love repairing stuff..

Probably too late, I have a few "parts" clusters in decent shape.
        If this doesn't work out, shoot me a PM. Yours for shipping.

I have what I need, and don't want any parts to go to waste!

Keep up the good fight !!

It's not yours 'til ya bleed on it . . .

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
        1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
        1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
        2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
        2001 XJ : Driver - 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

Comment

• Circuit board is the most durable part of the gauge cluster, and as shown, easily repaired with a little solder.

The housing everything mounts into, now that is a whole other critter, and as you see with mine they do not do heat very well at all.

Dry desert climate is great for metal, but plastic really takes a beating :/

Originally posted by sierrablue
          That looks awesome!

Do they not have just new circuit boards for your clusters? I know for mine, the Jeepsters use the same ones, so at Jeepsterman.com, I can get a new one for mine; I haven't researched the newer gauges.

Like I said, looking good!
          '81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Comment

• PM sent

Will use what I need and can send the leftovers on to the next one needing them

Originally posted by cu4whln
            Good job!

Love repairing stuff..

Probably too late, I have a few "parts" clusters in decent shape.
            If this doesn't work out, shoot me a PM. Yours for shipping.

I have what I need, and don't want any parts to go to waste!

Keep up the good fight !!

Comment

• Well done sir! Welllll DOne!
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy) https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images/smilies/frown.png
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...tom/drivin.gif
              00 Baby Cherokee https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...es/redface.png

Comment

• Thanks

Installing this weekend

Comment

• Originally posted by devildog80
                  PM sent

Will use what I need and can send the leftovers on to the next one needing them

Want more? I think I have a cluster and a bunch of misc pieces for the cluster. I don't need any of it since I went all custom gauges.
                  1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• I would gladly accept any/all parts, to get the OEM gauge cluster rebuilt, and pass on what I do not need.

Thank you so much

Comment

• PM sent

Originally posted by bkilby
                      Want more? I think I have a cluster and a bunch of misc pieces for the cluster. I don't need any of it since I went all custom gauges.

Comment

• Update

Put the gauge cluster back in, and now have temp working, but fuel still not working.

Will trouble shoot that again, and see where the problem is, as we bench tested the gauges and all worked.

Wiring to tank reads 28 ohms, and thought we had checked it all the way to plug in on back of cluster, but something still not working on fuel gauge.

Oil pressure right up there cold near 80 psi, and seems a bit high.
                        Not sure what oil/weight/filter as still has oil that we brought it home with, sitting 18 years and still looked clean on dip stick. Bottle in back of truck says 10-40.
                        Just getting it running, so running as is before making too many changes, but for sure will change before driving on the road.

Installed grounding strips, one at carpet line under dash next to park brake, and one in engine compartment on PS fender well.

Wired direct to battery ground.

Main reason was to ground new Volt meter direct to battery, but useful for stereo, lights, CB, and other switches which require ground.

Short video after cluster install-

YouTube

1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer dash worked and reinstalled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULM7ULvPSXA

11-27-2 by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr

20221127_142915 by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr

20221127_151219 by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr

20221127_151228 by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr

20221127_151328 by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr

Comment

• It sounds really healthy and smooth! I would think 80 is fine at cold idle. Mine was 60 at cold idle with 10/40 and dropped to about 10-12 at hot idle. So if yours also drops 45-50 psi as it warms up that still puts you in a super healthy 20+ psi. AMAZING for an AMC V8. Oil pressure measure is after the oil filter so a plugged filter does not raise pressure; it drops it.
                          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy) https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images/smilies/frown.png
                          (Cherokee Build Thread)
                          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...tom/drivin.gif
                          00 Baby Cherokee https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...es/redface.png

Comment

• Well folks......I went to take my gauge cluster out again, to see about rebuilding a bit more, after getting a box of extra parts from another gracious FSJ owner.

While removing my cluster, the main body of the cluster that mounts the gauge cluster to the truck separated from the gauges, dropping what screws I could get to hold last time down in the dash.

Plastic is so dry and rotted it finally gave up completely.....UGH!

So.....I dive into the box of parts, to glean through and find the one part I hope is useable, the cluster base.

After inspecting the gifted part, sadly it is on its way to similar condition mine is currently in, and unable to use it.

I was able to use other pieces/parts in the gifted box, but now down to needing a good base again, if anyone else has one they do not need.

If I had the funds, I would go with a new Dakota brand replacement, but such is not the case.

Still relying on "the kindness of strangers", as it has been said, and really appreciate any help!

20221218_115156 by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr

20221218_115139 by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr

Comment

• A little tip for use of old heater hose.

Wires from old AMPS gauge, when I replaced it with new VOLTS gauge.

20221218_120238 by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr

20221218_120306 by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr

Comment

• Well....think I found my issue with random no-start of engine!

Putzing with it earlier this week, and no start....UGH!

Last night, turned key and popped right off. What the heck.........

So, letting it idle a bit and had the air cleaner off as we (Mongo228 & I) were trouble shooting the wiring.....again (#364).

Thought.....I want to put the air cleaner on as always had it off when running since bringing it home and getting it running again.

Reached in with air cleaner base in hand, and just brushed across the coil wire.......baby sparks along the wire and engine died.

HEY.....did I just find the issue with random start issue?

Started up again, and same process, and BAM!!!

Felt it that time!!

Wow!!

So, full set of new wires going in today, as old ones were still being used up to now!​

Will know tomorrow, and next day, etc, to be sure it will start on demand now.

Also installed keyed power port under the hood, connected new leads for wire harness to coil, ECM, and electric choke resistor wire.

Will wire into new Volt gauge too, when I get ready to re-install the gauge cluster, after it has been reworked.

I literally took a level, and made sure this was level, but looks a bit wonky. Probably camera angle?

20230107_152249 by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X