moving beyond the Ouray experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving beyond the Ouray experience

This is a place to explore ideas of other places in Cororado for FSJ Invasions. Offer up and I'll ask a moderator to make this a sticky...

If we really "go there", we probably should consider this more of an option for 2008. It takes time to do recon for Invasions.

Don S has experience in the Salida area and well as many others in Colorado. I will see if I can get some CFSJA members to come here and pony up some ideas as well. Most of them are on the front range and several have veteran time on trails north of Hwy 50 and east of Hwy 285.

[quote=viscacha]Well first off I’m LMAO. If there were no issues we wouldn’t be talking about it. Nathrop is where the co fest is at in Aug. I was hoping to go up there this weekend but can’t make it due to work. The campground is supposed to be just like the koa except the kop is a dump. I’ve never been to this place.
    I’m interested in the amp thea at 8500. Got any pics?

http://www.chalkcreek-campground.com/findus.htm

http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=136
    [/quote]

I have read up on these two links. Interesting. There is propane at the campground Charlie! That event is actually "organized" !!! Far be it for us to get in that boat, but hey, it might even float...

Originally posted by Don S

... Doris and I have camped and trailed all over the rocky half of Colorado. Any where there are several good trails close together camping near by becomes more crowded.
    ... All in all what we been doing at Ouray is the best in the world. It’s the coolest place to be in the hot summer, many trails and many things to do if your tired of the trails.

... There is a place at the southern trail head of Taylor Pass (south of Aspen and north Gunnison and Taylor Reservoir) with a very primitive camping area. It’s handy to Taylor Pass, Pearl Pass and Reno Divide. Not far from it is are the Passes of Cotton Wood, Williams, Tin Cup, Hancock, Black sage, Waunita, Old Monarch and Tomiche. Hotels. motels and supplies are not very handy but there is good fishing in the area.

... There are also primitive camping areas on Old Monarch Pass that are not crowded.

Have a good one and “Jeep Jeep!” CUL.. Don S..
    Anyone else spent time in this area? Pony up if you have an opinion. I just hope I can live long enough, provide funding and keep at least 2 trailworthy FSJs running for us to get off to the many other "attitude of altitude" places here in CO.
    Last edited by fulsizjeep; 08-04-2006, 06:16 AM.
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

I live about 10 miles east of Monarch Pass in Maysville, and will try to recon a bit. I couldn't tell ya' a durn thing about campgrounds in the area -- never use 'em, except that there are two NFS 'grounds on the trail up to my place. The upper one, North Fork Reservior, is at around 11,000'. My land starts 1,000' above that, and is a good place to camp if you don't mind cowering from lightning every afternoon. 74 private acres with a few old mine tunnels to explore.
    Luxury accommodations:

Full facilities:

There are decent trails in the Salida area that would astonish almost anyone in the world, but they still don't compare to those around Ouray.

S.J.
    "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
    360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
    T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

Seriously Serious... (sorry I had to say it), I think I saw your place to the north side of the highway west of monarch pass... I saw a rig that looks like yours and a parts rig. If Kenny and I weren't in so much of a hurry we would have stopped to say hi.

I wouldn't mind doing the Salida area. It will add 1-2 hours to the drive for the AZ folks. In turn... it takes 1-2 hours off my drive . And my dad lives on the other side of Poncha Pass... south of Villa Grove. Welder, air, plasma cutter, heated shop, tow rig and flatbed hydraulic tilt trailer at my fingertips in Salida (just in case we need to install a low range unit or something ).

I hate to say it but as much as it might push the drive further out for the AZ folks... more CO folks would probably be there. I am game though.
      Last edited by BRUTUS; 08-04-2006, 08:38 AM.
      "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
      Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
      Current Homepage Status: RUNNING

Comment

You all sure you want to camp out in the wilds?
        Ralph

Comment

I spent a little time in the area Don is talking about last year. It was nice, but it wasn't near as spectacular as the Ouray area. The off roading seemed to be as tame as the Ouray area too.
          Not many good ghost towns. Crested Butte area, just North of Gunnison, was kinda neat. They have world skiing comp's there. But the campground just North of Gunison on the way to Taylor Res has really stinky outhouses. Then, farther up the road from there on the right is Cold Springs campgound. Last year I had the entire place to myself as you can't get big motorhomes and big trailors in. It has nice outhouses. There was a shrew there that bugged me though. Oh, and, ooh oooh oooh, just below the dam thingy at Taylor there are a lot of those red trouts. But then Leadville isn't that far from this area and there is this little Italian place that serves up a killer tiaramisu. And right next to the Italian place is a really good prime rib place that only serves prime rib. Kinda strange. But it would be a bit of a drive. Of course then there is Apsen up the trail, but lets not go there. They weren't nice.

But hey, if it gets changed to a nice place, that has something worth the drive, and it is as cool (temps) as the Ouray area, the 2 hour difference in the ride isn't that big of a deal. After all, if I don't like it, I don't have to go.
          There are always issues about everything when you get enough people
          together. Then there are some who just have issues.

Ralph

Comment

I got an opinion just as the next guy Now take a breathe and read the next sentence slowly...

A band of travelling gypsy FSJ travelers...We start in Cortez, CO....end the week and final day in Ouray.

Ok, it was just a thought.

J-trucks with Brows RULE!!!

Comment

You mean, like start at Flints.....?

Comment

front rangers do have some trails but are getting more crowded everyday, southern side CO.Springs down and west to 285 are sposed to have some good trails, CFSJAs should be able to tell you lots about those areas.
                Loved going to RedCone but the area is getting overcamped last time we were there, you should watch the people getting out of lowlands into mountains every weekend, NUTS! and then they rush back Sunday afternoon and its trafficjam city from tunnels to Denver, Baily on down etc.
                Gunnison, CrestedButte areas not near as crowded (yet) up to Monarch and south towards Lake City, same.
                Northern CO has some good ones too, need to get over continental divide to get to less crowded areas,
                If'n ya want harder trails, need to chk CFSJA or MileHighJeep Club, they seem to do some awesome roads at times, locked and loaded!
                Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails 1 & 2 give a decent look at most of the trails, funny, I haven't been on many right around Grand Junction! In the desert just north of here, you are allowed to make new trails (as if someone hasn't been all over this place yet!)
                "There's an inner idiot in us just waiting to climb out and romp about in unabashed stupidity, but most people retain just enough wit to keep the idiot bottled up."
                Gary Harmon-writer for Grand Junction Daily Sentinel (newspaper)

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
                Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart

Comment

... I haven?t done the area and done these trails in 10 years but in the Mosquito Range are a few 4x4 trails, passes and mountain tops. Fairplay is a near by town with good attractions, cafe and a motel. Fairplay is well south of Breckenridge tourist trap.
                  ... The near by Passes are Weston, Breakneck, Brown, Mosquito, Boreas, and Georgia. There is Mount Lincoln and Mount Bross that are higher than Pike?s Peak and you can 4x4 to the top. It's a great view.

... There would be a secluded very primitive camping on the west side of Breakneck and Brown passes but they are the only way to access the area. Unfortunately the area is well named as Mosquitoes defiantly make their presents known at certain times/temeratures of the day.
                  I still vote for OURAY
                  Have a good one and ?Jeep Jeep!? CUL.. Don S..
                  Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
                  It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
                  ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

Mr Cole...

hmmmmmmmmm.......

I am thinking about that FSJ gypsy comment there Mr. Wood. We have one trail nearby we have not run to the end yet and probably should do that soon. It would be a good place to warm up to the mountains so to speak...

Hey There Hoss - Krista met yer Mom and Dad here at Mesa Verde the other day. Wait a sec. Don't leave the room yet. What was so dang important in Tahoe that you could not come to Ouray? Hmmmmm?
                    Flint
                    Ran when parked.
                    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods

Comment

I have to agree with Don S. I think Ouray is the best. I haven't done any extensive exploring of "areas" around Colorado, but I have been on various trails around the state and nothing compares. I like the idea of something a little closer then 6 - 7 hours but I really think Ouray is just the coolest place anywhere. Meaning, its worth the drive to me.
                      Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer Super Chief 360 / TBI / WT conversion / 35x12.5x16 BFG Mud-Terrains (Project Link)
                      http://www.cfsja.org / http://www.fsjnetwork.com

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep?s temp going towards that 220F mark, I?m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Comment

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                        hmmmmmmmmm.......

Wait a sec. Don't leave the room yet. What was so dang important in Tahoe that you could not come to Ouray? Hmmmmm?
                        It was all about a gambling chance...Do I gamble with making the Ouray trip and losing out in a 30 year old Jeep truck and a round trip of 2000 miles with busted parts and whatever else or....

Make the trip to Tahoe on a plane and gamble my trip being payed for with my winnings.

Which I succeeded in doing

It was all about my odds...on the wheel
                        J-trucks with Brows RULE!!!

Comment

I would have to put in a vote for one more Ouray trip. Although I did 'black bear' (oooohhh scarrryyyy) I didn't get to to Imongine or the 'difficult' one that starts with a 'p'. So I have good reason to go back. Also, I did Govenor's but I think there was a LOT more there to see.

I think I can drag the wife up next year. We would probably do a cabin or hotel if she joins us. Just my 2 cents...
                          82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

Originally posted by ColeTrickle
                            It was all about a gambling chance...Do I gamble with making the Ouray trip and losing out in a 30 year old Jeep truck and a round trip of 2000 miles with busted parts and whatever else or....

Make the trip to Tahoe on a plane and gamble my trip being payed for with my winnings.

Which I succeeded in doing

It was all about my odds...on the wheel
                            Well, I dunno... Yes, Ouray is a gamble too. Especially in a 30 year old Rambler/Jeep. We may have to run a poll to see if the collective buys into that idea there Mr. Wood. Did you bring your safety seal in case the wheel went flat?

Last edited by fulsizjeep; 08-09-2006, 08:14 AM.
                            Flint
                            Ran when parked.

Comment

Originally posted by will e
                              I would have to put in a vote for one more Ouray trip. Although I did 'black bear' (oooohhh scarrryyyy) I didn't get to to Imongine or the 'difficult' one that starts with a 'p'. So I have good reason to go back. Also, I did Govenor's but I think there was a LOT more there to see.

I think I can drag the wife up next year. We would probably do a cabin or hotel if she joins us. Just my 2 cents...
                              Poughkeepsie - P-oh-kip-see

I see this going to a collective decision to keep our Invasions centered around Ouray. That's cool. SJ made a good point with wondering why we do it when the monsoons are throwing lightning, rain, hail and sometimes snow at us. Well, we started out with Recon missions (99, 00, 01) and the original Invasion in 02 around the end of August and Labor Day. For those with families and children that need to start school ealier each year, we moved it back to mid July. The chances of snow are greater at that time, but less for radical monsoon conditions.

That said, are there any thoughts on pushing the Invasion back into August?
                              Flint
                              Ran when parked.

Comment

Working...
                              X