• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AZFSJC April 2007 Trail Ride -- Box Canyon / Martinez Cabin

Date: April 14, 2007

Time: Meeting at 8:15am, Leaving at 8:30am

Meeting Place: Chevron station on the west side of hwy79 just across
    from Big O Tires on the north end of Florence.

Trail Rating: 3.0

We'll be running the Box Canyon trail from the Price road entrance. Along the way we'll take the side trip to Martinez Cabin, then get back on the BC trail. We'll finish up on the Mineral Mountain Rd out to Highway 60.

Although taller than stock tires are recommended on a Wagoneer for this trail, it can be done bone stock. In dry weather 4-low, good spotting and a lot of patience can get you by. There really isn't anything scary on this trail. It's extremely scenic!

Bring your family, lunch, lotsa' water and plan to spend the day with fellow full size Jeep enthusiasts. Oh and don't forget your camera! The desert will likely be in bloom.

Trip Roster:

gwinn----------------------------can't wait
    will e-----------------------------Excellent. Count me in (camping)
    amc79j10-------------------------Put me in coach
    tadsal----------------------------I'll have to see what happens in NM the weekend before
    duracell/nakidwoody4me----------As long as nothing catastrophic happens in our life we will be there (camping)
    Ralph Rogers---------------------Change me from a maybe to a yes (camping)
    78 Arizona Chief------------------Count my wife Kristen and I in (camping)
    jsinajeep-------------------------Well, you can count on me being there[ taxes paid or not]
    AZ Frank-------------------------Stopped by Frankie's Saturday. He's going to ride along with me and Emily (camping)
    Tigger4X-------------------------Come hell or high water I wanna go Camping sounds good too!!
    Lil'Bro----------------------------JJ, Jeni, and I (& Virgil) will be there
    STILRUNZ------------------------and Dinky so far - Camping
    Locked and Loaded---------------Looks like the wife amd I are in for the day trip
    Last edited by gwinn; 04-08-2007, 11:01 PM.
    1983 Cherokee Laredo "Gus"

Excellent. Count me in.

The very last part of the trail to Martinez Cabin has gotten pretty ruff. I wouldn't try it in a stock rig but I did manage to do it with a 4" lift and 31" tires (to the amazement of the baby jeeps that were following me).

Don't let this stop anyone from coming. There is a good safe spot to park your rig and you can either hitch a ride for the last few hundred yards or take a nice walk to the cabin.
    82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

Is this an overnight/camping trip?
      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

DAY TRIP

Originally posted by tadsal
        Is this an overnight/camping trip?
        Nope, this is a day trip. Barring serious breakdown, we can run the trail, enjoy the scenery and take a few breaks along the way and still be to Hwy 60 by 4pm. Knock on wood!

Comment

Put me in coach, Think Flying lady will be ready then. If not then I will be riding in a baby jeep. Spot in my freind Jeff with the baby jeep also.

Mike A and Flying (er grounded) Lady
          Mike A and Flying Lady

Its a Full Size Thing you wouldn't understand.
          79 j-10: 360 th400 dana 44 w/lockrights rear. 4.27 gears, Rino grill 6" KC's in 5 3/4 buckets, custome rings for both 7 and 5 3/4 lights, custom front bumper with warn classic winch, 1" extended shackles front, 6" lift kit, 35 12.5 15 tires, edlebrock intank and 4bl carb.

Comment

Originally posted by gwinn
            ... and still be to Hwy 60 by 4pm. Knock on wood!
            Ok good.
            I'll have to see what happens in NM the weekend before, that will be a 3 day trip for me, so...

Can you get me a map point where we come out on HWY 60 so I can estimate drive time back?
            2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
            EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Comment

will have to run it by my wife but she may be interested, but we're stock and most likely will need need some gentle nudging

Comment

Unfortunately Saturdays are soccer game days for my girls. I'll have to pass on this one.
                '71 J2000 Gladiator
                '95 YJ on Waggy axles
                '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

Tentative.
                  Sometime in April I'm going to the happiest place on earth. I'll check the dates.

Ditto on the last part of Martinez, in the creek just after the big trees. It is rough. Stock probably won't make it without damage. Good news is you can easily get to the wind caves after the cabins, and up to the old mill isn't that bad either. Lots of water through there last year.

Don't forget the permits if you go out to 60. Unless we are all related, then we can go on one.

Ralph

Comment

Count my wife Kristen and I in. My brother and my cousin David will be making the trip out here too to try out his newly 4.10-1 geared true-trac'ed J-10.

For anyone that is interested, we will be camping somewhere out there. My friend Chad will be with us too. Since Nick and David are coming out from Cali, we want to make it an overnight trip, not just a day trip. Anyone that wants to stay and camp overnight is more than welcome. The more the better.

See you next month.
                    Kevin.
                    \'78 Cherokee Chief - 360/TH400/QT Front high pinion 44/ARB/4.10-1, Rear 44/ARB/4.10-1, SOA w/Alcan front springs, Alcan full-leaf (w/shackle eye flipped) rears, custom bumpers, Multi-mount Warn XD9000i, more money into her than I want to admit. Dad purhcased new, still have window sticker. 310,000 miles.

Comment

ooohhh, i don't know if i want brenda to see this we might end up staying the night.

Comment

Originally posted by tadsal
                        Can you get me a map point where we come out on HWY 60 so I can estimate drive time back?
                        It is about 5 miles east of the intersection of Hwy 79 and Hwy 60.
                        Last edited by gwinn; 03-07-2007, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Maybe... It sounds like fun. I really should rebuild my transmission and transfer case soon though. Also, we've been talking about taking a sportbike ride up to Prescott around that time... Then again we have been meaning to get out and do more camping.
                          1979 Cherokee Chief - SOLD.
                          AMC 360 -TBI, TFI, TH400, QT, D44's
                          BJ's 4" & ProComp ES3000's
                          15x10 black steel wagon wheels & 33x12.5 Kumho Venture MTs

Comment

Kevin, I would love to camp. I can be the official 'what time is it' guy. We can listen to some AC/DC, maybe some U2 too. So count me in. Maybe we can camp at the cave by the Cabin or head down near the coke ovens.
                            82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

Originally posted by gwinn
                              It is about 5 miles east of the intersection of Hwy 79 and Hwy 60.
                              Cool, I will work on not breaking anything in NM.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                              EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Comment

Working...
                              X