X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwjohnstone
    232 I6
    • Jul 17, 2011

This past weekend I got the motor positioned where it needs to be on the frame. Now I need to make a few adjustments. Once I get my camera back I will go into some more detail, but I think a few more inches of lift are instore for Alice...

Now it comes to the radiator... Stock, the truck came with a 3 core 17"x22" in decent shape.. only problem is the outlets are only 1.5".... I know there are a ton of posts and threads about this same topic and soon I will have a full writeup on the research/future plans to keep this beast cool. For now its back to work, and later, back to welding... ah the things we do to drive Jeeps....
    "Decide what to be and go be it." - The Avett Brothers

1964 J-200 "Alice" Build Thread:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=150066

1979 CJ-7 (s) - Status: Dismantled Hibernation

1981 J-10 - Status: Parts? Daily Driver? Lawn Ornament?

1993 Cherokee Sport - Status: Sold (408,000 miles)

Comment

• JeepinPete
      304 AMC
      • Dec 09, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if a stock V8 sized radiator would be plenty to keep the Cummins cool. The more efficient an engine, the less heat it throws into the cooling system. A Cummins is arguably pretty close in displacements and power output to a AMC V8, but a heck of a lot more efficient.
      Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
      Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
      Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• jeepmj_tj
        232 I6
        • Aug 09, 2006

my stock v8 radiator keeps my 6cyl cummins cool. only time the electric fan comes on is in hot summer traffic or towing up grades. no mech fan either.
        01 TJ-Trail rig
        91 MJ-Play toy and work horse

79 J20 Tow Rig- Cummins 6 cyl, DD since 07

Comment

• rwjohnstone
          232 I6
          • Jul 17, 2011

I know the Cummins is a cool running motor and very efficient, in my mind its the only option for a diesel, I just want to build everything up now while I can plan for it. One day if all goes well I would like to get a larger turbo, P-Pump, injectors, and a jake brake. So I might as well build it big now or design it to easily accommodate a larger cooling system if needed. Hopefully I will have some pics up tomorrow sometime...

Comment

• 76FSChief
            258 I6
            • Feb 19, 2010

I am using the stock 360 rad for my Cummins swap! Spent some time on the Cummins forums researching the issue. Lots of people were using their stock rads for swaps.

Comment

• JeepinPete
              304 AMC
              • Dec 09, 2003

RW, a question on the gauges. Is the glass flat or domed?
              Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
              Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
              Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• rwjohnstone
                232 I6
                • Jul 17, 2011

Originally posted by JeepinPete
                RW, a question on the gauges. Is the glass flat or domed?
                The glass is domed. Cant wait to put them in. Need to know anything else?

Comment

• rwjohnstone
                  232 I6
                  • Jul 17, 2011

All right, I know that one of the main concerns when doing this swap is keeping this engine cool so here are some specs and details from searching around on this site and others.

Stock Dodge radiators:

1990 Dodge W250 Standard(w/o inter-cooler) - 15.75" x 30.25" x 1.5" (2 Core)
                  1994 Dodge Ram 2500 (w/ inter-cooler) - 36" x 19.25" x 2.25"
                  1999 Dodge Ram 2500 (w/ inter-cooler) - 36" x 19.25" x 2.25"

Stock Jeep radiators:

258 six cylinder - 16.25” x 24.25” x 1.25”
                  360 V8 -15.875” x 26” x 2” (3 core)
                  -or- -15.875” x 26” x 2.625” (4 core)

I know there are some differences through the years but these are the most common and best numbers for "approximate" measurements for Jeeps

Radiators different members have used in their 6bt swaps:

Budojeepr - Flex a lite 56000L - 26” x 18” x 3.75”
                  Well, I've gone and done it...started the body swap. Last year I bought a non-running '72 Wagoneer (thread link (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106370)). I figure that since I've had so much trouble (thread link (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=80533)) trying to register the '81 diesel

Resbum - Flex a lite 58000 - 33.625” x18.5” x 3.75” 2 core
                  Excuse the long-winded intro. I need to give credit where it’s due. If you want to get to the meat and potato’s jump to the next post. I waited until now to start the thread because I wanted to be sure I could actually pull this off before embarrassing myself. First off I need to give some well deserved credit to

Mikel - Summint Racing - 27” x 19.625” x 2.25” 2 core
                  http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=131069&page=3 - (post#29)

Several others are using stock radiators and claim to have no issues keeping this engine cool no matter how/where they drive or what they are pulling. Most people have an electric fan setup of some sort, commonly from a Taurus or a few from an XJ.

I do believe I am satisfied. My stock radiator should work just fine....for now

Many people have done this swap and left the stock radiator from their 360 or even 258 motors and have not had any problems.

Comment

• Resbum
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jun 16, 2010

Great post full of good info for people doing swaps. Thanks for taking the time.

Resbum
                    Originally posted by Resbum
                    "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• rwjohnstone
                      232 I6
                      • Jul 17, 2011

Originally posted by Resbum
                      Great post full of good info for people doing swaps. Thanks for taking the time.

Resbum
                      no problem, i know i am not the only one who has done that, I will add to it as time goes on and I find more info/links. Just trying to give back for all the knowlege you and others have shared with me.

Comment

• jeepmj_tj
                        232 I6
                        • Aug 09, 2006

The only thing that I have had to do to my stock radiator was have the lower neck above the steering box turned 90* and point toward the passenger side. This allowed me to run a crossover lower hose.
                        01 TJ-Trail rig
                        91 MJ-Play toy and work horse

79 J20 Tow Rig- Cummins 6 cyl, DD since 07

Comment

• rwjohnstone
                          232 I6
                          • Jul 17, 2011

I brought the engine to a friend of mine to get it cleaned up and do some of the simple things to it, I need to get the truck out of the shop as soon as possible, so I am trying to get everything that requires heavy lifting done so I can bring it home to my shop. List of things for the engine: Killer dowel pin, rear main seal, throw-out bearing, pilot bushing for clutch, 60 lb. springs, general clean up and paint.

We took the timing cover off the other night to do the dowel pin, only problem was.....the pin is gone....after doing some research online I am one of only a handfull of cummins owners that have had the pin fall out and not go rocketing through the side wall/blow up the engine on the planet. I have really really good luck and really really bad luck, there is no in-between it will be one or the other. Camera will be back soon, transfer case cross member is half built, front to be lifted up, and lots of welding this weekend.....

Comment

• lobie
                            258 I6
                            • Feb 25, 2011

I've read about the pin coming out so I opened my cover up. The pin was almost about to fall. I did the pin trick and also tightened some of the bolts in there.
                            77 Wagoneer | 6.0 | TH400 | NP205 | Sterling 10.5 | Dana 60
                            07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

lobie4x4.com
                            CFSJC

Comment

• rwjohnstone
                              232 I6
                              • Jul 17, 2011

Originally posted by lobie
                              I've read about the pin coming out so I opened my cover up. The pin was almost about to fall. I did the pin trick and also tightened some of the bolts in there.
                              Nice catch, not many people have it come out, guess we are just lucky

The tranny was pulled off, throwout bearing was about gone, input shaft a bit grooved, not too bad. Clutch is muticolored and abused. Now the hunt for a new clutch begins....any suggestions? Going to search after work today....

Comment

• lobie
                                258 I6
                                • Feb 25, 2011

Originally posted by rwjohnstone
                                Now the hunt for a new clutch begins....any suggestions? Going to search after work today....
                                I have ordered from phoenix friction before.

Premium OE and performance clutches and brakes. Clutch Kits, flywheels, brake pads, rotors, shoes and drums for automotive, medium and heavy duty vehicles.
                                77 Wagoneer | 6.0 | TH400 | NP205 | Sterling 10.5 | Dana 60
                                07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

lobie4x4.com
                                CFSJC

Comment

Working...
                                X