International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Fuel Injection

Old 10-26-2018, 12:46 PM
230 Tornado

Holley EFI W/ Holley Hyperspark Distributor?

Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster.

I have an 88 GW and love it so far (only 6 months in) but I'm in no shape or form a mechanic so a bit intimidating posting here among the experts so please forgive my ignorance on probably simple things. I've read through many of the posts here and have tried to put as many of the pieces together but still have questions.

After spending a life time of blissful ignorance enjoying fuel injection, trying to shift my reality to life with a carb is driving me nuts. I want to turn the key and the sucker crank :-) So I'm looking to add fuel injection with the Holley Sniper 2300 plus the fuel system kit:

https://www.efisystempro.com/sniper/...-black-550-850

What are the benefits of also upgrading the distributor along with adding the Sniper EFI? I've read the distributor threads and asking which one to use is going to give me a ton of answers that will confuse me more so to be more specific would using the Holley distributor be worth the price since it seems made to be compatible with the EFI?

https://www.efisystempro.com/ignitio...90-401-565-308

In a nutshell, I want to convert to fuel injection:

1) So I can turn the key and it cranks
2) better/smoother idle and acceleration
3) not concerned so much with improved MPG or HP but if it happens all the better.

What if anything would upgrading the distributor add to this and what are the pitfalls? (I've read about the possibility of problems with the new distributor gear not fitting properly for example)

Would adding fuel injection and NOT upgrading the distributor result in other issues?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2018, 04:54 PM
258 I6

This is a good question.
My answer is that every EFI system should be just like the factory does them.
Complete fuel and timing control from the computer.
The drivability is dramatically increased by having timing control vs fuel only.
You can use a dixie cup to properly add fuel but timing needs to be right.

Now the bigger question, if I read your post correctly....
I added up all the parts you listed/required to purchase this complete system with timing control and it adds up to $1600.

My "complete" fuel and timing control system that uses all factory, over the counter parts, no after market mail order parts, for servicability on the road, retails for $1399.95 and $35sh.
i also provide a discount for all fellow Vets and first responders.

So the big question is, why pay more for less?
75 scout XLC 345/727/JPD300/3.73's/33's/4wdisc/hydroboost/EFI/OBA/OBW
1977 Innocenti 1001 (Italian Mini)EFI 1275/DIS