• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by 78 WIDETRAC
    That looks SOOOOoooooo much better!!! Wow!!!
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
      350 Buick
      • Aug 19, 2003

I haven't managed to get much done on the 81 because I bought another. I picked up a 79 Cherokee Chief Project of course. It's a runner. and came with A LOT of extra parts!!!!!

It's yellow with black interior. The interior was removed by the po before the po I got it from. It's missing the factory tail gate, but it came with 2 extra.

The only other thing that's not there in the parts I received is carpet.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
        350 Buick
        • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by Icethrasher
        Nice find. You are really turning it around quickly! Had to come check it out after you mentioned something about a build thread replying to mine on fsjnetwork. Looking forward to the next progress update!

Welcome to IFSJA. With the new cherokee I got a few exhaust manifolds. PM me and we can figure out a time and day to meet up and I'll pass what you need along to you.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Hey! It's my Chief's twin! Except nicer!
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
            350 Buick
            • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
            Hey! It's my Chief's twin! Except nicer!

Marc You should go back through your build thread. This one has a nice original body, but is far from being even close to as nice as yours is.

I found it on fb marketplace about 13 miles from the 81 Cherokee. This one stays as is. just put back together. I need to find some Saxon yellow paint. The original tailgate is MIA. and the non installed brown one it came with will not look quite right on it.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
              350 Buick
              • Aug 19, 2003

Did some work on it tonight. I popped the intake manifold shield off the 2bbl manifold, removed all of the random vacuum, linkage plates, water neck off of the old manifold for installation on the new intake, set the carb and valve covers on.

It all comes back off this weekend to do the shield and seal threads clean engine bay, prep block for some paint etc...

BTW All of these items came with it when I picked it up from Art. Purchase date of 07 I think. I'm happy to get them on permanently soon. Carb may come back off for F.I.

But it looks good. As new parts always do. I have engine block paint on the way.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                350 Buick
                • Aug 19, 2003

Time to get back into the 81 Cherokee. I might start another thread on the Yellow one another time.

So I have decided to tackle the sniper on this one. I still need to get things cleaned up and repainted, also where can I get a nice water neck?

Here is the sniper unit on the manifold. Kind of a good time to do this, fuel tank is out, I can upgrade any electrical needs for the system. figure out the best fuel pump to use etc...

It came with everything to install it. I have read some threads about using the buffer tank/ fuel pump in the engine bay. As not the best idea.

I'm watching cu4wln's in tank fuel pump posts thinking this might be the way to go. I have the newer plastic tank, would it be a big deal to install a factory metal tank from an earlier year?

Any input would be great. Here are some pics.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                  Shakes hands with danger
                  • Jul 01, 2012

...also where can I get a nice water neck?
                  RockAuto, and probably any corner auto parts store, has cheap cast iron replacement units. They work, but mine required some judicious work with a file and sandpaper to get a decent finish on the heater hose fitting. I'm not sure what is available that's nicer than that type.
                  '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                  Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                  High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                    350 Buick
                    • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
                    RockAuto, and probably any corner auto parts store, has cheap cast iron replacement units. They work, but mine required some judicious work with a file and sandpaper to get a decent finish on the heater hose fitting. I'm not sure what is available that's nicer than that type.

I was just thinking a nicer aluminum one, mostly to match the intake.

Thanks for the tip on RockAuto. I forget about them being a great resource for parts.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                      Shakes hands with danger
                      • Jul 01, 2012

I was just thinking a nicer aluminum one, mostly to match the intake.
                      Makes sense. The OEM thermostat housing was a very nice aluminum piece. It was really frustrating when I broke mine and had to put on that ugly cast iron aftermarket part.
                      '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                      High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

I have replaced my fuel pump twice since going EFI. I am REALLLLLlllllly glad I did not put it in the fuel tank. Replacing mine is a 3 tool, 20 minute job. You put it in the fuel tank, and it will be a much bigger job. Then again, maybe if I got an in tank fuel pump, maybe I would not have killed it twice..... HHHmmmm...
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                          350 Buick
                          • Aug 19, 2003

I'm going backwards again. I started taking the front of the motor apart. Pretty good time to do it. I have the time. plus It will be easier to clean up and shoot some paint.

Also I just want to check out the components before I assume it's good after setting for 10 years. Pics as long as I can remember how to post them up.

I need to look at the timing chains that have been used by others and possibly cams, We'll see on the cam.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                            350 Buick
                            • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                            I have replaced my fuel pump twice since going EFI. I am REALLLLLlllllly glad I did not put it in the fuel tank. Replacing mine is a 3 tool, 20 minute job. You put it in the fuel tank, and it will be a much bigger job. Then again, maybe if I got an in tank fuel pump, maybe I would not have killed it twice..... HHHmmmm...

I would absolutely put in an access panel for sure!

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                              350 Buick
                              • Aug 19, 2003

More stripping the engine down to the timing chain. It has some slack. is this acceptable? See pic

The front of the block is cleaned up pretty good. The oil line was loose at the compression nut, so it had been slowly leaking for a while based on the coated frame and motor mount and timing cover and front of the engine.
                              Last edited by 78 WIDETRAC; 04-30-2020, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• levelhead
                                232 I6
                                • Nov 04, 2016

While the cover is off I would rebuild the oil pump including getting end clearance right.
                                1988 GW (2)
                                1980 Cherokee Laredo
                                1979 Wagoneer
                                1976 J10 401
                                1977 Wagoneer 401
                                1977 J10 4 speed
                                1969 J3000 (2)
                                1955 CJ3B
                                1964 Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
                                X