International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Street & Performance

Old 10-24-2005, 02:54 AM

Question

okay here goes....im in the UK and i have a cherokee sj its an 82 with a 360 in....most of you guys either keep the height standard or lift it...however i dont really intend to go mud pluggin in it once i have finished sorting the small list of problems out! is it possible to lower a jeep...not silly low about an inch....is it possible???? is it a case of having some longer U bolts made and some lowering blocks machined? i may not even do it its just an idea im toying with.

[ October 27, 2005, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: shrek ]
Old 10-24-2005, 04:30 AM
304 AMC

An 82 should be sagging at least an inch less than the stock height by now.
"PsyOp" 87 Grand Wagoneer, 360, Powered by Propane, NP-208 t-case, Dana 60 front 4.56 gears-Detroit Locker, Corp 14 bolt 4.56 gears-Detroit Locker. Alcan Springs up front, Chevy 63", Hydraulic Steering

Under Construction: 4 link rear suspension, Klune-v and Ford 205 transfer case
Old 10-24-2005, 05:00 AM

im not sure of the sus spec...but i dont think its standard....im about 18 stone and if i sit on the wing it will move downward about half an inch..if that.and the ride is very firm.however its not got the original wheels on it. deep dished chrome ones. 31x10.5x15 inch tyres on(not sure on the stock size tyre).didnt think it was this chunky.(unless it got stiiffer springs when the bigger tyres went on)..its not really had alot of load on it or been off roaded....its been in the family since 88...in that time its done very few miles about 15 thousand miles at the most since then. i know springs will sag due to age and load but im not sure they should be that stiff to start with...what should the std ride height be and ill check it..i prob wont lower it the ground clearance could be handy in snow...or flooding...i was just enquiring
Old 10-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Master Mechanic

Don't lower it - the clearance is excellent and very useful on occasion. If you want to fill the wheel wells - maybe go with larger tires? I run 33s on my wide track '77 and haven't had any problems with rubbing yet.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:16 AM

This may also seem dumb, and I don't mean to insult, because I spend most of my money on gas, but doesn't a 360 cost a TON to drive in England with gas prices the way they are?
95 XJ Cherokee
Old 10-24-2005, 08:44 AM

welcome from the wet part of the US. Keep an eye out on here for UKJeeper. Another FSJ'er from over there, he tends to collect the odd SJ (RH steering) on occasion.

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:59 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

the front would be easy to lower with a 1" block, but it's not an ideal way to do it. In the rear, you might be able to do a touch longer shackle, maybe 1" longer to drop it 0.5", but I'd think you'd have to get new springs to make it any lower. Might want to try removing a leaf from each pack if you think it rides stiff too?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:22 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally posted by robselina:
the front would be easy to lower with a 1" block, but it's not an ideal way to do it. In the rear, you might be able to do a touch longer shackle, maybe 1" longer to drop it 0.5", but I'd think you'd have to get new springs to make it any lower. Might want to try removing a leaf from each pack if you think it rides stiff too?
I was thinking one of those zero-rate AALs in the front and take a leaf or two out of the back.

That being said, it's hard to get much lower than a stock FSJ!

Gotta a lot of junk

" I may not be good, but at least I'm slow"
Old 10-25-2005, 03:22 AM

my jeep is a toy....hence a tuned 360 dont cost the earth to run...cos i harldy use it! the previous owner was my uncle...who spent loads on it.. however it had alot more piled into it before he bought it....now it needs a small amount of body attention i kind of stepped in for it...im not sure where to post body mod questions cos i have a few of those! im leaving the motor alone....it goes well enough....and ill leave the springs as they are about right for a decent road...ill just leave it alone! sort the body out...make the interior nice and then i can use it again...once it passes an mot test!
Old 10-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Welcome shrek, i sent you an email. Turns out we live about 15 miles apart! We'll get together soon. I'm hooking you up with the FSJ nut up in Norfolk, he'll be very useful to know.
'82 Cherokee Chief
Old 10-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

The easiest thing to do is pull a leaf or two out of the spring packs. It should lower it, and soften up the ride. You'll have to play around with it, trying different combinations, but it doesn't cost anything to do that!

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241
Old 10-25-2005, 01:39 PM

Ask away on the body mod Q's either here or gen disc. Lot of folks with experience and ideas floating around on here.

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Gear Head

I KNOW I KNOW!!!! do a SPRING UNDER in the rear axel and take the add a leaf out of the front..(guessing because the stiff springs...)
* A NEW LIFE, A NEW CHALLENGE...EVERY ROCK,HILL, AND BOGGIN HOLE OR BUST... new plans for my rigs, the 74 j truck is getting sold, the 89 wag is a temporary parts rig, and my new to me 85 J10 is getting all the attention... 36" IROKs and a punched out 401 coming its way...
Old 10-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Gear Head

i want to get a nice jtruck one day and do a bag and drag theme, i want to notch the frame, air springs, 20s/lo-pros and a kickin' paint job, razor grill, and maybe lower the roof 4 or 5 inches... its pretty much just a dream but i have a 72 cheby chyenne long bed that will under go the same transformation...im kinda split, I like my trucks really tall or really low....
* A NEW LIFE, A NEW CHALLENGE...EVERY ROCK,HILL, AND BOGGIN HOLE OR BUST... new plans for my rigs, the 74 j truck is getting sold, the 89 wag is a temporary parts rig, and my new to me 85 J10 is getting all the attention... 36" IROKs and a punched out 401 coming its way...
Old 10-25-2005, 07:47 PM

the problem over here is getting some of the stuff without uk customs and excise having my pants down for import duty!....the plan is to tidy what i have and adjust where i can...im planning some subtle body mods...im also thinking of chevy camaro C.O.P.O type induction cowl for the bonnet...sorry hood! feed the greed of the performer carb!... however my driving position means that judging the left corner postion is a pig as it is...without me putting a 2 inch high cowl on the bonnet!!!...ill post some pics soon guys...prob later today!
Old 10-26-2005, 01:20 AM
Always Broke

welcome
looking forward to the pics
82 Cherokee WT – SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Old 10-26-2005, 02:12 AM
FSJ Bird Man

Welcome to the board...

Why not get a smaller tire? 31" is about 1" larger then stock if I am not mistaken?

My son asked:
Quote:
Why does Daddy always buy the Jeeps that break down a lot?"
www.torc4x4.org
Old 10-26-2005, 02:33 AM

I think I would go with a 88 and up GM rear shackle out back ( thinking maybe in may fit under the body with no clearance issues) for a 1" drop in the rear and removing a leaf( or 2) from the front.

Now this is just thinking out of the box a bit....

The front may be too 'squishy' after removing the leafs... so maybe a dual shock setup may counter that up front....

Just ideas coming to mind to play with...
Old 10-26-2005, 07:36 AM

hmmmm drag cherokee....okay drag wag would sound better but its not a wag....didn't think of it that way! only prob is where i keep it...if i raise it an inch....it will twat my gagrage door...and the council wont be impressed....they have replaced one so far cos the bull bar bent it so it wouldnt raise properly. i can park it and get in and out...and not alot else the tow plate touches the wall at the back...and the bull bar rests on the door! and i cant get down the left side!
Old 10-26-2005, 08:01 AM
Master Mechanic

Cool

This does seem odd especially in the off road technical forum. It kind of smells fishy.

Please spare the J truck.

’86 J20
SOA, Dana 60's, F/R Lockers
Full High Steer, Ram Assist
Bunch of Other Stuff