International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 01-10-2003, 01:26 AM
Grease Monkey

Hey folks,

I've read though hundreds of posts but I still need some help. In park the lights on my 74 J10 are bright and nice, however when driving They dim down when stopped. I can't tell if they are dim or flickering when driving (they seem dim and fluttery but could be the road) I havn't changed the dimmer or hi/lo switch yet. Any thought's could it be the ground or the alt?

Another thing, my gas guage when full doesn't read quite full almost. My last jeep had this problem the connector on top of the tank as causing resistance does this seem like the problem? How do I get to the top of the tank without dropping it?

Thanks
norville

[ January 10, 2003, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: norville ]
Old 01-10-2003, 01:36 AM
Master Mechanic

On your headlights is could be a loose alternator belt.Do you still have the external voltage regulator?Could be a problem there.IMHO if you replace the alternator i'd go to newer style with internal reulator.Check your voltage at your battery static(not running)11.8-12.5vdc;running 12.7-13.8vdc.I would check all your wiring and grounds,but it sounds to me either low output from alt/regulator(again make sure belt is tight)or alt/reg is going out.
\'95 Jimmy SLS 4 door 4wd 4.3 CPI/Auto<br />\'89 Grand Am LE 2 door<br />\'88 Grand Wagoneer sadly had to sell<br />\'92 CapriXR2 Turbo/Accel TFI coil<br />\'70 Monte Carlo SS454 107,000 original miles -sad to say but had to sell her<br />Had a \'79 Cherkee S 10 years ago and wish I still did
Old 01-10-2003, 02:46 AM
Grease Monkey

I checked the belts. New and tight. I believe it's an older alt. All kind of dingle-berries hanging off the back. I have an engine coming this week I think I'll see what kind of alt is on it before I buy a new one. What newer style alt do you recomend for a easy swap?

Good thought on the battery I check at lunch.

Thanks
norville
Old 01-10-2003, 05:18 AM
Grease Monkey

OK Here's what I read across the battery.

13.60v static
16.00v running no accesories on
12.20v running with lights, fan/high, and w/wipers on.

Any thoughts?

Now when I left work for lunch Things seemed great Fuel pegged (full tank) current meter was reading a needle past 0 to the right. And all was good. On the way back needle was on 0 and fuel gauge was off F.

norville
Old 01-10-2003, 08:52 AM
Shade Tree Shaman

13.60 and 16 no load is a tad high. hows the water level in the battery? sounds like the regulator is flaking out and over charging a bit. ideal is about 12.5 at and no moren 14.5 or so running.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Grease Monkey

13.6 static and 16 running no load is definitely overcharging. 12.2 is on the low side for full load scenario.

Like andy said check your battery as well it may well be dry or worse off cooked. Usually pays to just change out the battery as well.

Sorry no experience with the J10 fuel sender access.

[ January 10, 2003, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Nobby ]
Old 01-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Master Mechanic

Yes I agree to check your fluid level in the battery.16v will cook and possibly cause a battery to explode.Time to retire your regulator and alt for a new alt w/internal regulator.While your changing out the alt I'd upgrade your positive and negative battery cables too,if you haven't already.

[ January 10, 2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: coolram ]
\'95 Jimmy SLS 4 door 4wd 4.3 CPI/Auto<br />\'89 Grand Am LE 2 door<br />\'88 Grand Wagoneer sadly had to sell<br />\'92 CapriXR2 Turbo/Accel TFI coil<br />\'70 Monte Carlo SS454 107,000 original miles -sad to say but had to sell her<br />Had a \'79 Cherkee S 10 years ago and wish I still did