International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 03-18-2019, 10:07 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
No the gasket has a channel & locking strip to seal better.
You can buy gaskets for non stainless trim @ least they used to be available new.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I haven't found the gasket without the trim. I have a new gasket that's meant for the trim on my rig but it looks incomplete.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:38 PM
350 Buick

The plan for today was to finish up the last item in the steering refurbishment by replacing the leaking gearbox with the rebuild that I purchased last week and had waiting for the job. I had also found a spare intermediate shaft with a good u-joint, so I bought a new "rag" joint for that. The new joint is made from a hard rubber or neoprene ($46 at O'Reilly's...same part was $28 delivered from Rock Auto). Anyway, I pulled the old gearbox after much cursing while removing the pitman arm, installed the new "rag" joint on the rebuilt gearbox, and offered it up to the mounting bolts. WTF...there were only three bosses on the rebuilt box....the original has four. Back to Pep Boys...wrong part number...the correct one should be at the store tomorrow. I should have examined it more closely when I took it out of the box.

By the way, the gearbox castings are machined for 0-ring fittings. They are converted to a flare fitting unit with the addition of two one inch tall screw-in adapters.
J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:02 PM
350 Buick

Finally finished the power steering rehab this morning. Rebuilt pump, new hoses, new rag joint, lower steering shaft from a salvage truck, and rebuilt steering gear. Still needs new sway bar bushings, but it drives like a different vehicle...no more herding cats. Lots of headaches gathering up the correct parts, but the job itself was very straight forward (with all the front sheet metal removed). Cost was about $260 for all the parts. I'm keeping the original steering gear as some of you advised. Will install a seal kit after I finish the rest of the current horror show.

This afternoon, I installed the heater box, and then the inner fenders. I stopped short of bolting on the fenders as getting the doors in color has priority. Spent a few hours long boarding, adding skim coat here and there...long boarding....repeat....repeat...repeat. I'll shoot on some polyester high build primer in the morning and block them one final time before spraying the color. Wish it would freeze tonight (I need a major bug kill off). Anyway, I should have all the sheet metal bolted on in a few days. That will leave the rear fenders.

The final activity for today was a decommissioning ceremony for my Dollar Store jeans and ratty old long sleeve shirt. I've been patching the trousers with Gorilla tape for two weeks, but it keeps coming off in the washer. So, they're not gonna make it to the end of the project as I'd hoped....enjoy your retirement ol' friends...

DSCN1525 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1524 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1521 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1527 by Rufus, on Flickr
J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Last edited by Towtruck : 03-22-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:22 PM
350 Buick

After yet another masking job, I sprayed the doors in high build Eastwood polyester primer this morning. Should be ready for long board/blocking first thing tomorrow. Hoping for a cool night and cloudy day tomorrow...a little drizzle would be good...seems to keep the exploding insect population in check. No significant worries about humidity during the spraying process as the HVLP turbine supplies warm, dry air no matter what. The garage is a disaster again. Once these doors are finished, all that plastic comes down. It's been quite effective at containing overspray and sanding dust, although it still gets on shoes and gets tracked into the house if not meticulous about leaving shoes in the garage. That and the chemical smell has kept me in the dog house for the past two months.

The second photo shows an old easel my wife wanted me to throw away years ago. I naturally saved it...never know when an easel might come in handy in the garage. Looks perfect for mounting one of the doors for final paint. (Suspending them would be best, but I don't have a decent way to safely hang the heavy doors). I slapped the other one together from old fence material. I need to be able to get around the door jam edges as well as the face of the door. With my bottom cup type spray gun, it's better to have the part vertical. Never had a problem with runs with the HVLP setup.

So fingers crossed that the block sanding is the last of it...then on to color...and assembly.

DSCN1531 by Rufus, on Flickr

DSCN1532 by Rufus, on Flickr

Last edited by Towtruck : 03-23-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:13 PM
350 Buick

The high build polyester did the trick for the doors. I should have used it a couple of days ago....no, I should have used it weeks ago on every panel. I always have trouble feathering the edges of filler areas into the surrounding sheet metal. When used in conjunction with guide coat paint and a long sanding board (120 grit) this polyester saved a huge amount of time and frustration. I broke through to bare metal on a couple of edges, so had to search for an airbrush to apply a thinned epoxy spot sealer. Done. Finish paint tomorrow for sure. The plastic liner in the garage will be dismantled ASAP thereafter.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:33 PM
350 Buick

Doors are in color. Right one turned out well. Left has a run on the window frame and another just below the door handle. The media blaster told me "satin black is not your friend if you get a run....difficult to blend in a repair...might have to repaint the whole panel...." The window frame is easy....I'll just sand it out, mask the rest of the door and shoot it again. I'm thinking I might get away with a spot repair by the door handle....or maybe mask across at one of the accent creases, and spray above.... Any advice from y'all is much appreciated.

The polyester primer worked out well, panels are straight as an arrow, although there are some sanding scratch marks in the paint. That primer is very soft and sands easy, but it loads up fine grit sand paper very quickly. Guess I got tired of endless sanding. Next time (fat chance) I'll block it with 120, sand with 220, and then spray on a coat of urethane sanding primer. I find it much easier to work with fine grit paper as it is not quite so soft.

The "easels" worked well. Had to lay on my back to shoot the bottom edge of frames....otherwise great access. One step job instead of spraying the back side in a separate session from the exterior. (There are two 1x2's sticking out from the easel. They slide into the access holes on the back side of the door).

DSCN1534 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1535 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1536 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1538 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1537 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1539 by Rufus, on Flickr

Last edited by Towtruck : 03-25-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:09 PM
350 Buick

Frustrating day today. I did fix the run on the driver side window frame by sanding the entire frame and repainting. Looks fine. But then I attempted to spot repair the run under the door handle. When I sprayed it (with a small detail gun) it initially looked good (while still wet). But when it started to cure, the slight overspray around the repair dried to a different sheen from the repair area and the rest of the door. Looked sort of cloudy. Wasn't awful, so I could either live with it, or sand and repaint the entire door. I repainted the door. Looks fine, although the spray job isn't as nice as the original. No sanding scratches though, as I worked them out when I sanded the color back.

I spent some time this afternoon installing the inner fenders and the tail gate. Tomorrow I tear down the paint booth...happy days. The fenders and hood are scheduled for installation on Thursday. Door mounting on Friday. Maybe side windows as well.

DSCN1543 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1541 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1540 by Rufus, on Flickr

Last edited by Towtruck : 03-26-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:28 PM
360 AMC

What did you use for fender welting? I re-used my factory ones but more because I was lazy...
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 03-26-2019, 04:45 PM
350 Buick

I bought some wide door edge protector at O'Reilly's. Eight foot lengths...adhesive pre-applied. The media blaster recommended splitting some cheap, soft tubing lengthwise and gluing it on the edge. The originals on my truck were coming loose, and we wanted to powder coat under them anyway.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:08 PM
350 Buick

This morning I tore down the paint booth in the garage...three months of that nonsense. Lots of junk hiding behind the plastic...but it was surprisingly clean junk, Very little dust behind the barrier. The Mylar covered flexible hose is the conduit that I plumbed into the furnace plenum (in that closet) for piping heat into the garage. The only issue was chemical smells would seep into the house via the hose when the furnace fan was off. So, I'd warm up the garage and then cap it off when not in use. The hose was especially handy for directing heat on panels waiting for paint.

This afternoon I installed the front fenders and doors. That transmission jack is my assistant when installing the doors by myself. Edges are taped in critical areas. No chips. Everything is currently covered in sanding dust and oak tree pollen...desperately needs a wash. But the panel fit is good and they're nice and flat. The satin black paint is very unforgiving and would show dings or unevenness in a New York minute. Planning to install the front roll pan and hood and then mothball the project until the Fall. Too many other projects demanding attention.

DSCN1545 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1548 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1550 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1552 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1546 by Rufus, on Flickr

Last edited by Towtruck : 03-28-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:40 PM
350 Buick

HEY MAN

looks great !!!

a lot of dang work !

great job.

on the way to being finished.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 04-05-2019, 03:46 PM
350 Buick

Thanks. Yes, a stupid amount of work and time invested. I put it aside for about a week in order to clean up the garage and fix a few things on the Jaguar. Already getting hot outside. Today I sanded and painted a heater motor scroll I got from forum member 8man (thanks, man). I'll install it, the hood and the front roll pan in the next few days. Might get around to the side windows before mothballing the project for the summer. The boat is screaming for attention (black trim on side and around windows). The HVLP gun will see some service. I'll use left over urethane semi-gloss from the truck project as it should do well with UV. I'll post some more photos of the truck when I get the front end finished.

DSCN1560 by Rufus, on Flickr
IMG_4248 (5) by Rufus, on Flickr

Last edited by Towtruck : 04-06-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:53 PM
350 Buick

Okay, this is the last of the Jeep project until the Fall. I got the heater box and fan assembly cleaned up and painted yesterday...installed this morning. I had forgotten that the two components have to be installed together and had the heater box bolted down when I realized I'd have to loosen it up to get the fan assembly in there. I also had to remove the passenger side hood hinge, which was just loosely fitted.

This afternoon my neighbor and I mounted the hood, and I spent the rest of the afternoon aligning inner and outer fenders, hood, and front end sheet metal. It's still not quite where I want it, but close. (I swear the perimeter of the early hood is shaped slightly differently than the later stamping). Anyway, all of the front end sheet metal is installed, albeit barely in some cases.

The front roll pan fits better than before as I spent some time fabricating new hidden mounting brackets. That said, the joint between the right fender and the roll pan needs more adjustment....the issue is actually where the fender and the radiator support panel meet up...bolts need to be loosened and panels shifted slightly.

....the truck is covered with smeared and smudged yellow pollen and sanding dust, but here are a few in process photos.

DSCN1573 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1568 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1571 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1572 by Rufus, on Flickr

Last edited by Towtruck : 04-08-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:36 AM
304 AMC

Very cool. There are some really nice truck projects going. Hope we don't have to wait to long for the next update.

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 04-09-2019, 06:33 AM
350 Buick

The most that will get done before it's moved to storage for the long hot Texas summer is final panel alignment and the rest of the front end fasteners....and I might wash off the crud to see how it looks when clean. (I'll be following your project for my Jeep fix...amazing detail).

Later, Gents

Last edited by Towtruck : 04-09-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:43 AM
350 Buick

well towtruck,....

it is looking good

it would be hard to not touch it all summer,....

but looks like you have other toys toy play with

...that is,...if you can quit working on them long enuff to enjoy them,...haha.

we will wait patiently for the next stage of restoration.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 04-17-2019, 11:20 AM
350 Buick

OK, this is the last, last update before the truck goes into storage. I should have put it away last week.

Yesterday I loosened up virtually every panel on the front end and muscled everything around to get the best alignment within my capabilities. (I had to shim the radiator back toward the engine to get the hood to close because I had lowered the cab another 1/2" during the painting evolution). The biggest improvement is that the roll pan now lines up quite well with the forward bottom corners of the fenders. Not too bad given that I slapped that pan together from an old hood. I still have to put a rubber bead in the 1/8" gap at either end to prettify it. The truck still needs a wash as evident from the whitish, smeared areas on the panels.

No time...high winds and baseball size hail are forecast for early evening and over night. So I spent the morning trying to cover the vehicle in the event hail stones punch through the corrugated plastic roof on my storage (junk) shed. It's primarily a sun shield with some fairly tough tinted corrugated roof panels, but previous experience shows it will crack with golf ball size stones. I expect baseball size would punch right through. The other issue is that if hail piles up, the whole dang thing could cave in...it did so some years ago when snow piled up. It's a sun shade, not a tornado safe room.

So I spent this morning bomb proofing the truck for hail and/or a cave in. Removed the tail gate, which is very vulnerable because there's a gap between the gates to the shed and the roof. I covered the bed and roof with plywood and then plastic. Then I snaked that heating duct tubing from the winter painting phase around on the hood and covered that with plastic. That hose is very springy...should absorb a pretty hard lick before the sheet metal dents/dings/collapses. Now that I've gone through the effort, it won't hail, but I'm ready....Semper Paratus.

DSCN1582 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1579 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1586 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1588 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1589 by Rufus, on Flickr[/b]

Last edited by Towtruck : 04-17-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:42 AM
327 Rambler

Fingers crossed for you.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:43 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ziebert
Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks. We dodged the bullet. The system arrived a couple hours later than predicted (after the sun went down), so the strength of the thunderstorms was reduced. Still golf ball size hail around, but not as widespread as feared. The weather guessers took a lot of flack on this one. Mall parking garages were filled to overflow...people who couldn't find a spot just drove around inside for an hour until the front had passed. TV had photos of things people had strapped to their cars for protection...inflatable mattresses were sold out in stores. One car had a matrix of inflatable pool toys all over it...large rubber duckies were popular. One lady had large double doors on the front of her house, so she opened them and pushed her car inside the house. Anyway, the truck is being moved to the storage building later today. Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:04 PM
350 Buick

dodged a bullett is right,....

glad no damage.

while reading your description,

I could see the inflatables on the cars you mentioned

in my mind while reading your description.

hail = bad

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC