Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Engine

Old 12-11-2003, 10:30 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Retro93:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Retro93:
Well yeah....it's a tough job...but someone has to do it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Well after I get the Caddy swaps done.......I will still be freinds with you even though you have.........ACK!!! the slimy green thing under the hood of your Cherokee. [img]tongue.gif[/img] </font>[/quote]I was thining along the lines of a 460 Ford...or 440 Chrysler. All you need to do is sell me on their merits when compared to the TPI 350 Chevy. [img]smile.gif[/img] </font>[/quote]Go with the 440, add a mpi system and you are done!
Old 12-11-2003, 10:32 AM
Cowboy Up

Here's a big block smoking AMC, read and weep:http://www.turboclub.com/MuscleCars/

Old 12-11-2003, 10:34 AM
Junk Collector

Yeah..John..I'm partial to all 3 engines. I've put a ton of miles on all of them...never had a major problem. [img]smile.gif[/img] Now if I could just find a 440/NP435/203...and then a divorced Dodge 205. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ December 11, 2003, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Retro93 ]
Old 12-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Sloppy Shifter

Quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Banks:
WOW!I had to let the steam clear off this topic before I threw in my .02. I put the Caddy in my truck 2 years ago and it's been the best "mod" i've ever done.Went thru 3 360's (no 401's)in 15 years, all had spun rod bearings (low/no oil pressure). I have 35/40 psi at idle all the time with the Caddy.If I were to have another AMC V-8 the FIRST thing I would do is the oil mod,PEROID! Anyway, dosn't (AMC) Jeep mean - Just Everybody Else's Parts- .........As a side note, anybody ever come to Atlanta, look me up and I'll be happy to let you test drive my truck.(you MIGHT like it) Marc
Hi Marc I seen ya sneaking around this post for some time now! Your info on your Swap and your email was helpful in my deciding on the Caddy. Just took me awhile to get all the toys I wanted to go with it! </font>[/quote]Yep, best do those mods to keep up with a 401. Don't forget your valve train, hear they get sloppy with rpm.</font>[/quote]Who is trying to keep up with the 401? Are you racing a one car race? Hmmmmm Must be it. Oh my after market Rocker Shafts are SWEET!!! My 500 has no weak points now, I took care of them right away. Cost of this engine is no more than it would cost to rebuild any AMC V8. Though I shopped around and made some good deals. Best part of it is..........I will have what I want under the hood....Would that be OK with you Elliot?............LOL Thanks!
Old 12-11-2003, 10:40 AM
Cowboy Up

It is a 401 thread or did I miss something?
Old 12-11-2003, 10:43 AM
Sloppy Shifter

Quote:
Here's a big block smoking AMC, read and weep:http://www.turboclub.com/MuscleCars/

Nothing to weep at there. Hardly Stock or close to it, I highly doubt that class of engine has much in the way of OEM AMC parts in it. Then there would be the fact that if you were to take the same $$$$ and put it in engines of choice the results could go either way. I know I am not Weeping.............Or Racing
Old 12-11-2003, 10:44 AM
Cowboy Up

Here's quality, right?:

http://www.libertysoftware.be/cml/my...ac/my76cad.htm
"On my way home from Antwerp I noticed a strange knocking noise coming from under the hood. Upon closer examination, this turned out to be a spun rod bearing. Knowing how reliable these 500 engines are, I removed the engine and replaced the bearing. The crankshaft was hardly damaged and it was definitely not necessary to regrind it. The engine has been running fine ever since this repair. Due to the Texas sun, the paint had turned dull on several spots and the car received a quality repaint in February of 1999."
Old 12-11-2003, 10:48 AM
Cowboy Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Elliott:

Nothing to weep at there. Hardly Stock or close to it, I highly doubt that class of engine has much in the way of OEM AMC parts in it. Then there would be the fact that if you were to take the same $$$$ and put it in engines of choice the results could go either way. I know I am not Weeping.............Or Racing </font>[/quote]You didn't read very far did you?
"Just for the record, we have now driven an AMC powered, AMC car, faster than anyone in automotive history. The fastest recorded AMC top speed was set by Craig Breedlove in 1968 at Bonneville, at 189 mph in a 68 AMX with a supercharged 390 V-8. We did 192 mph without a blower. He did that speed in a full-race, production car on a professional offroad course. We went faster with a street legal, stock-bodied production car. On street tires, through the mufflers and wearing a license plate."
"...for those who believe in American Motors, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not believe in AMC, no amount of explanation is possible."

[ December 11, 2003, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Elliott ]
Old 12-11-2003, 10:50 AM
Gear Head

My god, we're still on this?? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2003, 10:52 AM
Sloppy Shifter

Quote:
It is a 401 thread or did I miss something?
Its about a lot of things actually. I would like to talk about GWAMPS blue trailer now, or lets go on to dual pipes and muffler choices. I am tired of Chicken.........How about BBQ RIBS I like them!! Bring On the RIBS!!! and for GSMIKIE the SHRIMP!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2003, 10:56 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Retro93:
Yeah..John..I'm partial to all 3 engines. I've put a ton of miles on all of them...never had a major problem. [img]smile.gif[/img] Now if I could just find a 440/NP435/203...and then a divorced Dodge 205. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Oddly enough I know where to get such a combo, email me if you are interested.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:00 AM
360 AMC

woohoo page 10!

elliot i admire your dedication to amc's and 401's, instead of converting the masses though let's convince them how crappy they are and how we'll gladly take the junk off their hands
Old 12-11-2003, 11:00 AM
Master Mechanic

Oh man this did go 10 pages!
Still I will take a 401 over a 360 ! That was the origanal post right? Yeah I will take a 401 over a 360 ANY day! Im my opinion there is a big enough differance that if I bought a 360 FSJ I would look for a 401 to bolt in . But since I have a 401 I will build it up! Cause to much power is just enough!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Master Mechanic

BTW do I see 11 pages in our future?
Old 12-11-2003, 11:10 AM
Cowboy Up

Some Mopar spun bearings, quality issues:

http://www.moparsunlimitedofidaho.com/sale_wanted.html
"#3 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus. 383 2 bbl., B5 Blue with white canopy vinyl roof, buckets w/ console, blue interior, A/C, P/S, drum brakes. 8 1/4 spicer rear-end 2:46 gear. I bought this one from the original owner in 1988, who said he had it up to 145 mph, when it had about 8 miles on it !! It has about 81,000 miles on it and it only made it 11 miles from his house before it spun a bearing . "
"1. 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner- 383/auto, buckets w/ console. Triple black, no vinyl roof, no strobe stripes.Hood Pins, Hemi-Radiator P/S, Drum brakes, 3:55 Sure Grip 8 3/4. Rear deck lid wing ( the one that does not look like a Mach 1) * this was on the car in 1979 when I bought it and looked like it had been there for years, however the fender tag does not have the J 81 code, it has the F81 code ( inside trunk release), so the wing seems not to have been originally on the car. Options that I have added: air grabber hood, factory tach, am/fm stereo with 5 speaker set-up from a challenger, rear window de-fogger Original engine block cracked in 1979 , so a 1969 383 is in it now"

Here's a good one for you:
http://www.71superbee.com/Scott_Frye/
"At the time I did not even no they made a '71 Bee and did not know much about it, all I knew was it looked cool and ran good.

I spun a rod bearing the first year , but kept the original engine for many years until rebuild around 1998. In the mean time had 383s and a 440-spun rod bearings on all ."

I'm even more impressed now, gotta tell you, that reliability sure is a big factor. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ December 11, 2003, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Elliott ]
Old 12-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Cowboy Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobbo:
Oh man this did go 10 pages!
Still I will take a 401 over a 360 ! That was the origanal post right? Yeah I will take a 401 over a 360 ANY day! Im my opinion there is a big enough differance that if I bought a 360 FSJ I would look for a 401 to bolt in . But since I have a 401 I will build it up! Cause to much power is just enough!!!!!!!
Yeah, but we had to go through a lot of big block hype in the process.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:33 AM
Cowboy Up

Great White does 216mph in 1998:
Shabby lil AMC this one.

http://www.amx-perience.com/california_classic_amc.htm

If you'd like to read about Great White's running in the Silver State Challenge race and see some great photographs of Great White along with pictures and information on the blown 1970 Javelin "Defender" click here. Or you can click AMCWC.COM (or catch the AMCWC link at the bottom of each page) to read an award winning article on the May, 1997 event. THIS IS A MUST read for any AMC fan! Winter 1998 tests had this car on radar at 216 mph!
http://www.amx-perience.com/Defender.htm

Geez, with all them trophies he must of spun a lot of bearings.

[ December 11, 2003, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Elliott ]
Old 12-11-2003, 11:54 AM
www.Bulltear.com Chief

retro a spun main on your desk ..........~~!!!!! LOL BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! This thread rocks
"We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"
Old 12-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Some Mopar spun bearings, quality issues:

http://www.moparsunlimitedofidaho.com/sale_wanted.html
"#3 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus. 383 2 bbl., B5 Blue with white canopy vinyl roof, buckets w/ console, blue interior, A/C, P/S, drum brakes. 8 1/4 spicer rear-end 2:46 gear. I bought this one from the original owner in 1988, who said he had it up to 145 mph, when it had about 8 miles on it !! It has about 81,000 miles on it and it only made it 11 miles from his house before it spun a bearing . "
"1. 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner- 383/auto, buckets w/ console. Triple black, no vinyl roof, no strobe stripes.Hood Pins, Hemi-Radiator P/S, Drum brakes, 3:55 Sure Grip 8 3/4. Rear deck lid wing ( the one that does not look like a Mach 1) * this was on the car in 1979 when I bought it and looked like it had been there for years, however the fender tag does not have the J 81 code, it has the F81 code ( inside trunk release), so the wing seems not to have been originally on the car. Options that I have added: air grabber hood, factory tach, am/fm stereo with 5 speaker set-up from a challenger, rear window de-fogger Original engine block cracked in 1979 , so a 1969 383 is in it now"

Here's a good one for you:
http://www.71superbee.com/Scott_Frye/
"At the time I did not even no they made a '71 Bee and did not know much about it, all I knew was it looked cool and ran good.

I spun a rod bearing the first year , but kept the original engine for many years until rebuild around 1998. In the mean time had 383s and a 440-spun rod bearings on all ."

I'm even more impressed now, gotta tell you, that reliability sure is a big factor. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Nobody ever spun an AMC's bearings?

As for the second one, try putting the next sentance in....:
"I was young, I loved rpms."
If you are going to try to bash do it with something that is an actual problem not some retard spinning a mill over it's intended/built range. [img]tongue.gif[/img]