International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 07:50 PM
232 I6

Radio, interior vinyl/carpet, door jamb switch ??'s

I have just ordered replacement carpet for the passenger area and vinyl for the cargo area, for my 78 Wagoneer. I didn't think about not having anything for the wheel wells since the vinyl doesn't come with that piece. The person who is going to do the install said that whatever I put on the wheel wells should probably be put on before the vinyl. I don't know what to use that will curve like it needs to. Any suggestions?

Also, I'd like to get a radio, mine did not come with one. I like to listen to Pandora in my dd vehicle so don't think an original would be a good idea. I've looked a bit at RetroSound. Has anyone bought one of these, and if so are they exact fits, and are you pleased with the quality?

And I posted in the Wanted thread for door jamb switches. I looked online at a bunch of different styles and didn't see anything that matched what came out of the drivers side. Did I read on here somewhere that the drivers door one is different than the others? And if so, are there compatible part numbers for any of those listed anywhere?

I'm about to get the entire interior put together and that will be the last of the major things until the seats are recovered and we decide what type of paint, if any. It needs paint, just don't know if we can afford that after all this other stuff. I hate to count up all the $$ he's let me spend so far on my toy.

Thanks everyone for any help you can offer.

wg

Last edited by wagoneergirl : 07-19-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:58 PM
350 Buick

What? What? No wheel covers with the vinyl?

I was leaning toward vinyl in the back.

Is that ACC?

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:15 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
What? What? No wheel covers with the vinyl?

I was leaning toward vinyl in the back.

Is that ACC?

No, the vinyl kit from Bj's does not come with wheel well pieces, just the complete carpet kit does, and I didn't want carpet in the back. I have carpet in my Ford and we have two dogs. When the St. Bernard is shedding it looks like I have shag carpet and I don't want to deal with that in my Jeep.

What does "Is that ACC" mean?

wg
Old 07-19-2019, 11:07 PM
350 Buick

Auto Custom Carpets. The brand BJ's and everyone else seems to sell for Wags.

So, a question for anyone that had stock vinyl in back. Were the wheel wells covered?

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:21 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
Auto Custom Carpets. The brand BJ's and everyone else seems to sell for Wags.So, a question for anyone that had stock vinyl in back. Were the wheel wells covered?

Thanks for the clarification. I checked their website and they don't list wheel well vinyl for sale. I hope someone answers your questions about the stock vinyl.

wg
Old 07-20-2019, 09:10 AM
350 Buick

Now I'm thinking many many coats of smooth Herculiner over the wheels.

I already did the interior with it and like the feel. I've got some that I peeled out of the plastic roller tray a few years ago. Similar feel to vinyl, maybe a little stiffer.

What I really want is the ribbed mat that fit the corrugations in the floor to go under whatever I put back there. My wag had strips of MDF under the carpet.

Did you look at the local parts store for the switches? Autozone, and O'Reilly have the parts aisle with that kind of stuff. I've read of folks finding the switches there, also try Amazon. Amazing what you can find there.

Last edited by SJTD : 07-20-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:17 AM
230 Tornado

I have a 78 Wagoneer with the stock vinyl in the back. The wheel wells are covered with matching carpet that is used on the floors. The carpet and vinyl are original.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:22 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78basicwag
I have a 78 Wagoneer with the stock vinyl in the back. The wheel wells are covered with matching carpet that is used on the floors. The carpet and vinyl are original.

Can you tell by looking if the carpet on the ww's is a molded piece or how it's installed if not?
wg
Old 07-20-2019, 12:01 PM
230 Tornado

It looks like two pieces were sewn together to the shape of the well. Hopefully this link works.
[/url][/IMG]
Old 07-20-2019, 01:16 PM
232 I6

Thank you, 78basicwag, for that picture. It looks pretty basic, and probably easy. I'm going to take some upholstery cloth and make a sample to see if it works.

My husband suggested making a mold of fiberglass or some other stiff material in the color I wanted and then attaching it to the ww.
It looks like either one may work. I just need to decide which I want to try - first.

wg
Old 07-21-2019, 10:47 AM
232 I6

Cant help you with the vinyl, but I do have experience with Retro sound. I had one I installed in my 59 Chevy PU. Fit fine, but did not have all the functions described on their website.(no way to adjust the clock other than unhook power at 12am.) Cassette function quit after 1 year, audio failed at about 2 years. I wouldn't buy that brand again. YMMV
Old 07-21-2019, 10:55 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly5759
Cant help you with the vinyl, but I do have experience with Retro sound. I had one I installed in my 59 Chevy PU. Fit fine, but did not have all the functions described on their website.(no way to adjust the clock other than unhook power at 12am.) Cassette function quit after 1 year, audio failed at about 2 years. I wouldn't buy that brand again. YMMV

Thanks for that info. I've about decided to just get a regular am/fm and not try to get fancy.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:20 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoneergirl
And I posted in the Wanted thread for door jamb switches. I looked online at a bunch of different styles and didn't see anything that matched what came out of the drivers side. Did I read on here somewhere that the drivers door one is different than the others? And if so, are there compatible part numbers for any of those listed anywhere?

I recently replaced 3 of my door jamb switches when I renovated my headliner. I sourced the switches from the local pick-and-pull. Gave up looking for online sources.

The 1978 wiring diagram shows a single wire to each door jamb switch.

Last edited by Driftwood : 07-21-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:40 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
I recently replaced 3 of my door jamb switches when I renovated my headliner. I sourced the switches from the local pick-and-pull. Gave up looking for online sources.
The 1978 wiring diagram shows a single wire to each door jamb switch.
The one on my drivers door has a single connector. Most of what I see online have two. My husband took one of the others out and he said they were different. I didn't see it so don't know how different. He put the original back in for now. Once the mechanic gets the Jeep I hope he can use what we have or maybe I can find some somewhere that will work.