International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 10-12-2013, 11:30 AM

Just curious, were the GM ac mods because of factory non ac, or just issues with the factory system?
Old 10-12-2013, 01:52 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_Tinkerer
Just curious, were the GM ac mods because of factory non ac, or just issues with the factory system?

The factory system is divorced, with A/C being a separate system from the heat. This leads to a few issues, the biggest being that the defroster air is not dehumidified. The next biggest is that the A/C evaporator is not that large, especially for such a large interior. Finally, the factory Jeep system uses a non-adjustable expansion valve

Given these issues, I went with an amalgamation of GM systems wherein I can address all these issues. The GM unit will give me dehumidified defroster air, and thus eliminate the fogged up window effect on a rainy day. The evaporator is quite large, (the same size as used in the large GM station wagons) and, when coupled with the large, triple pass condenser I am running, should enable me to remove quite a bit of heat from the interior (A/C does not introduce cool air, it removes heat). Finally, I will be using an expansion orifice and a cycling compressor so I can adjust the compressor cycling switch to just above evaporator freezing.

Hope that explains it, but if not, please don't hesitate to ask!

Bill
Old 10-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Gear Head

Did you get the under hood heater box used or from a supplier? I like your dash and AC/Heat idea. Can you give a little more information about where you got supplier and putting it all together?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:18 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goatman
Did you get the under hood heater box used or from a supplier? I like your dash and AC/Heat idea. Can you give a little more information about where you got supplier and putting it all together?

The under hood part is actually the evaporator case. I pulled both the interior and exterior parts of the HVAC are from a 1977ish Chevy truck, but good donor vehicles include:

'68-'72 GM A-body cars (Chevy Chevelle/Malibu/Monte Carlo, Pontiac Lemans/Grand Prix, Oldsmobile Cutlass, Buick Skylark(

'68-'79 GM X-body cars (Chevy Nova, Pontiac Ventura/Phoenix, Oldsmobile Omega, Buick Apollo/Skylark)

'73-'87 Chevy/GMC C/K series trucks

The evaporator I used is from a '79 Firebird. It's the same as from a dozen other GM cars and uses an expansion orifice. With this, I will run a cycling compressor using an adjustable cycling switch (either from a junkyard car, or purchased new).

The evaporator case I had to modify to clear the engine. I used fiberglass mat and epoxy resin. With all of the above HVAC units you can play a bit of mixing and matching. The Chevy truck units are a good choice for the inside heater box though as the controls are available reproduction through LMC truck. There is a better outer box (evaporator case) than I used. I think it comes from the X-body. The evaporator section does not lean in toward the engine as much as the one I used.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:08 PM
350 Buick

Curious how this build went/is going.. your dash mods have my interest as I am not a huge fan of the final edition dash in my 88

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, Aussie rear, LDS front, 4.10s
http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD
Old 03-25-2014, 06:51 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSwapMohn
Curious how this build went/is going.. your dash mods have my interest as I am not a huge fan of the final edition dash in my 88

It ran into mild health issues, and a bit of cold weather (will winter never end?). If all goes well, I should be back on it soon...

Thanks for asking!
Bill
Old 03-26-2014, 10:15 PM
304 AMC

Get better soon. Been down a bit myself and hate it.

Good Lovin', Good Beer, and a Grand Wagoneer. What more could one want?

1984 Grand Wagoneer My therapy
1988 GMC Suburban soon to be retired. . .SOLD
2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS/LX Wifes DD
2003 Dodge TD 4x4 long bed
Old 04-25-2014, 11:53 AM
327 Rambler

Soon I shall be out cleaning out the garage and getting back on my project. There will be a slight delay, enforced by mother nature however.

These little fellows are currently residing in the air intake tube, just behind the grill.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:00 AM
1st Chair, Cowbell

Awwwwww

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 05-12-2014, 05:38 PM
327 Rambler

We have Jeepness!!

No pics yet, but much has been accomplished; mostly wiring.

Checked off the wiring punch-list are:

-Headlight sockets
-Headlight relays
-Fog lights
-Fog light relays
-Driving light relays
-Starter
-Battery cables
-Oil pressure sending unit
-Coolant temperature sending unit
-Under-hood lamps
-Cornering lights
-Cooling fan module
-Cooling fan
-And much, much more!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:01 AM
327 Rambler

We have Jeepage!

When we last saw this insane project, there were birds living in the air intake duct. These, I am happy to say, have gone on to become productive members of society. Consequently, the air intake duct has been blocked off with a screen. The birds, Mr. and Mrs. Casawren, did, I'm afraid, file a lawsuit in federal court, alleging that the act of blocking such a prime piece of nest building real-estate was discriminatory and speciesist. Fortunately, Judge Earnest P. Squirrel dismissed the case. Citing Titmouse vs Grizzly Adams, Judge Squirrel reiterated the earlier court's ruling that wildlife does not have the right of Eminent Domain on an unnatural object such as an automobile when said object is surrounded by the natural and proper objects in which the species would normally find its abode. Mr. John Skunk, the attorney for the Casawrens, said the ruling was "a travesty of justice," but that his clients had no intention of appealing.

Many hours of soldering have been accomplished under the hood. At this point, 99% of all the under hood wiring has been accomplished.

So, under the hood looks like this:

The transmission cooler lines have been run. As you may recall, I'm not running a cooler in the radiator. Because of this, I needed to run a thermostat to ensure the transmission fluid comes up to temperature in the winter.

I also wanted to run a separate fan on the transmission cooler, and a temperature gauge to monitor the fluid temperature. To this end I cut a block of aluminum about 5 inches long, drilled a passageway through it, then drilled two holes down into it, one for the fan thermostatic switch, the other for the gauge's sending unit.

In this picture, you can see the thermostat block (the large aluminum block with the round cap), and my aluminum block (for the sending unit and the thermostatic switch).

From underneath, you can see how everything was run and bracketed to clear the exhaust. I also wrapped it all in a heat sleeve to ensure the exhaust heat wouldn't damage the hose. Also note, the hose used is transmission cooler hose, not fuel line! Fuel line will last six months to a year before it starts to leak like a sieve. Cooler line will last for years.

And the cat sleeps...

Old 06-04-2014, 09:23 AM
1st Chair, Cowbell

That looks freaking assume, Bill. Nice work!

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 06-04-2014, 09:28 AM
327 Rambler

So now we move to the inside!

I pulled a huge section of harness out from where it ran across the driver's side of the dash, and split it open. I then began to identify the wires that belonged to the cluster, those that belonged to the A/C-heat, and those that belonged to other systems. The ones that I did not need, and which I could pull through and discard, I did.

You can see the big harness running across the top of the steering column in this photo.

Those which I did not need, but which ran out to under the hood, I marked as such, in case I might need them.

Those which I did not need, but which I could not extricate from the harness, were cut back to a reasonable position, bent over on themselves, and a length of heatshrink was shrunk over the end, just in case they might be live.

This is what I started with.

When I was done, this is what lay on the ground, just outside the driver's door.

And this is what I had when I was done.

And before you think the after photo doesn't look all that much different from the before, note how many little green tags there are on the wires now. Everything is nice and tagged.

For proof, this is what it looks like now. Note how that big, fat harness it gone.

Now that I can work with!

And so I am about to go out and get to work. Before I do, there is, of course, the obligatory critter photo. This little guy (and I do mean little... about 1/2 inch long!) was hanging out on my BMW. He didn't seem inclined to fix it for me though.

I guess I forgot to mention the BMW fiasco. Last Saturday I put a new A/C condenser in it. Yes, air conditioning!

Until Sunday.

Sunday, on the way to church, the front crank hub went out on the thing.

I don't know for sure, but this probably cracked the front timing cover.

In other words, it's a minor repair, but one that will require an extraordinary amount of work and money. And time, too. The parts will take a few weeks to gather.

I'm thinking I'll probably part the thing out. Besides, don't you think BMW M5 seats would just rock in a Jeep?

And as for the engine, I think I'll pull that and the transmission, and put them aside. They just seem like the perfect swap into a 240/260/280z. :shock:

Last edited by ProTouring442 : 01-24-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:33 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strode
That looks freaking assume, Bill. Nice work!

Say's the guy whose Jeep is coated in dust repellant.

Thanks... but I'm afraid you have me beat on the "freaking awesome" scale.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Master Mechanic

Love this build thread, great build and stories to go with it! Jeep is looking gooooood

I dont think I saw it, what are the specs on that engine?

Last edited by jMedia : 06-04-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:04 PM
350 Buick

Very nice build, subscribed.
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmcfvYSDdeFJ-NHY1MA_9Iw
Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174925
Old 06-05-2014, 08:16 AM
Gear Head

Man that's some awesome progress! And the animal trial had me cracking up! Keep up the good work!

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=141075

www.youtube.com/JeepKage101

Keep Calm and Jeep On!
Old 06-05-2014, 06:18 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jMedia
Love this build thread, great build and stories to go with it! Jeep is looking gooooood

I dont think I saw it, what are the specs on that engine?

It's an LY5. 5.3L, 315 hp, backed by a 4L60E. Of course, with no cats, and a bit of a tune, it should put out a few more ponies (I figure a good 325 anyway).

Thanks for the compliments!
Old 06-05-2014, 07:56 PM
out of order

So are you stuffing an engine matching interment cluster in there?
Old 06-06-2014, 07:33 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
So are you stuffing an engine matching interment cluster in there?

Yes. In fact, I've kind of redesigned the whole dash to accommodate the instruments, the double din radio, and the new A/C-heat system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTouring442
Worked on laying out the dash. The center stack will hold a Stereo/cd player with navigation, a scanner, the A/C controls, and a CB. I need to extend the wires between the chassis and the face of the CB, so I can remotely mount the chassis as it is too long to simply mount.

In front of the driver there will be three gauges, a speedometer and tachometer that will operate of the '08 ecm, and a quad gauge that will use sending units mounted on the engine. The dash pad and vertical sides of the center stack will be covered in black vinyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTouring442
Well then! Started making the permanent dash inserts (the ones pictured before are templates). These were cut from 1/4" ABS plastic sheet, and covered with a titanium DiNoc vinyl applique.

Driver's side:

Speedhut gauges, Harley Davidson turn, high beam, and "pursuit" lights. The two "pursuit" lights are for the Check Engine light, and the Brake Warning Light.

Passenger's side:

The A/C outlets are Ford F150.

Since these original posts were done, I have decided to cover these two pieces in a wood grain DiNoc, while the center stack stays the brushed titanium you see in these photos.