International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 04-03-2021, 12:10 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob
Best news so far is we don't have any spare parts left over, so I guess we did okay.

Nice! That's always a good thing!
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 04-06-2021, 07:13 AM
258 I6

Got a lot done during the weekend, but no pics since it was all boring stuff. Took her for a short drive and was happy everything seemed to work well, and no fluid leaks!
I need to do an engine oil/filter change and flush the cooling system and put some new antifreeze in it, then will move onto some more trim items like rear door rubber and felt.

My build thread:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
Old 04-06-2021, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Awesome!!! Has to feel great taking it for a spin after all the work you have put in it lately. Do you have to smog it for registration? What does smog look like for you if you do?
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 04-06-2021, 01:24 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Awesome!!! Has to feel great taking it for a spin after all the work you have put in it lately. Do you have to smog it for registration? What does smog look like for you if you do?

Woohoo!
Yeah, I think I can register it, but then have to smog within 60 days or so, which consists of probing the tailpipe and doing the '2-speed idle' test, aka testing at 2 different RPMs but not on rollers like in CA.

My build thread:
Old 04-07-2021, 08:43 AM
304 AMC

great progress, you should be motoring along soon.

all work is A+,....NO SUPRISE.

Dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 04-13-2021, 09:28 AM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
great progress, you should be motoring along soon.

all work is A+,....NO SUPRISE.

Dave in NC

Getting closer, but still taking it slow to avoid over-working myself.

Did an oil/filter change and put new coolant in it after flushing the radiator a few times. Was surprised there wasn't any crud built up in the rear freeze plug holes when we yanked the old freeze plugs, but I still ran the engine till coolant was hot, then drained a couple times. It was rusty but otherwise not bad at all.

The oil was pretty nasty, no idea when it was last changed, but smelled of gas and was darker than any oil I've ever seen. Drained the filter and didn't see anything amiss, so will keep fingers crossed I'm not looking at any repairs there anytime soon.

I bought a rear door window guide and felt kit that just arrived so will need to remove the rear door panels and get those things done to keep the rear windows from crashing around and potentially breaking. That should then be it for weather-proofing the entire vehicle.

I discovered the front of the catalytic converter isn't even welded to the exhaust pipe, as the cat's extension is just sitting inside the pipe, so I'll need to have a shop fix that before I smog it, plus use something besides a couple garden hose fragments and hose clamps for the air pump pipe (see right side of pic, LOL):

Beast is still running rich, and not well when cold, so will recheck vacuum connections, idle screws, etc, to ensure proper operation. I'd really like to go with a Howell fuel injection kit ASAP but don't quite have the money together to order it or other associated things I'd like to change out (fuel hoses, etc) while I'm in there. Sure would be nice to remove all that suspect vacuum crap!

My build thread:
Old 04-13-2021, 01:39 PM
Administrator

The front Cat? you have more than one?
When you take your truck to that exhaust shop to fix it, have them weld your O2 bung on at the same time. That is the only thing that would prevent you from doing a Howell install over a weekend. You want it as close to an exhaust port as possible so right after the manifold with a slight upward tilt.

Hahahahah! The garden hose is awesome!!!
Old 04-14-2021, 01:02 PM
232 I6

Gas in the oil, how old is the fuel pump on it?

Fleet Fox
Old 04-14-2021, 02:12 PM
258 I6

Quote:
The front Cat? you have more than one?
When you take your truck to that exhaust shop to fix it, have them weld your O2 bung on at the same time. That is the only thing that would prevent you from doing a Howell install over a weekend. You want it as close to an exhaust port as possible so right after the manifold with a slight upward tilt.

Hahahahah! The garden hose is awesome!!!

No, you're drunk, Marc. I wrote "front of the cat".
Great drunk minds think alike though, figured I'd have them check the substrate on the Cat (couldn't get the exhaust pipe angled well enough to check when we had the tranny out), and weld that bung for me when I bring it in.
I LOL'd when I looked the undercarriage over prior to purchase and saw that obvious garden hose fix. That was soooo typical of the entire vehicle when I bought it.

Not sure on your bung-mount location description there, but I'd read that O2 sensors should be installed after the driver and passenger pipes join to ensure proper measurement, but the manual has crap pics and says what you did:
https://howellefi.com/wp-content/upl...ion-Images.pdf

I just bought the Howell kit this AM, forgot I could use the "0% interest for 6mos" option with Paypal Credit, so I can just installment-plan the whole $1500 purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetFox
Gas in the oil, how old is the fuel pump on it?

Fleet Fox

Honestly no clue at all, though that won't even be a concern in a week when I get the new Howell kit!
I know that manifold vacuum wasn't even hooked up to the power valve on that carb when I bought it, plus the carb is suspect anyway, seeing as it's missing the throttle solenoid, the bowl vent solenoid and piping, and who knows what else was done internally.
I know it was driven and parked sometime before I bought it, but how well it ran before being shut down is unknown. I take nothing for granted on that poor abused beast.

I'm thinking I'll create a new thread for the Howell install but also put it here in my build thread as I go.
Really looking forward to getting it running without having to guess about previous botch jobs and unknown/suspect parts.

My build thread:

Last edited by MysticRob : 04-14-2021 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Ah! That makes a lot more sense.

The thing is, the oxygen sensor needs to get HOT to work. If Howell still provides a one wire O2 sensor, it will take forever to get hot that far back; then you are stuck in Open loop longer. If they provide a 3 or 4 wire O2 sensor that shouldn't be as much of a problem. If you have it just after the manifold, it gets hotter, sooner but you are only really measuring one cylinder bank. I, personally, think it is better to have it only measuring one cylinder bank and go into closed loop much sooner. I have a 4 wire O2 sensor and the sensor is in my header collector. I usually hit closed loop less than 90 seconds after start up.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:40 PM
Señor Jackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob
We got the tranny mounted last night. Curious if this transmission mount is "original" or not.
That style mount was used on all the New Process transfer cases beginning in 1980. It is a PITA to get installed.

You are making good progress!
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 04-14-2021, 05:13 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Ah! That makes a lot more sense.

The thing is, the oxygen sensor needs to get HOT to work. If Howell still provides a one wire O2 sensor, it will take forever to get hot that far back; then you are stuck in Open loop longer. If they provide a 3 or 4 wire O2 sensor that shouldn't be as much of a problem. If you have it just after the manifold, it gets hotter, sooner but you are only really measuring one cylinder bank. I, personally, think it is better to have it only measuring one cylinder bank and go into closed loop much sooner. I have a 4 wire O2 sensor and the sensor is in my header collector. I usually hit closed loop less than 90 seconds after start up.

I'll be able to answer the O2 sensor-wire question in a couple days I hope, will update when I get the kit. I know it's the CA kit so it might have a different sensor than that non-CA kits. They list GM 25312184 or equivalent as the part, which looks like a 4-wire...

I really wouldn't think it would take that much longer to heat the pipe if it's just 1.5-2.0ft back or so from the manifold. I mean how much can exhaust gases cool within a metal pipe as they're being blown out from the cylinders, especially if there's twice as many cylinders once they join past the junction?

My build thread:

Last edited by MysticRob : 04-14-2021 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:04 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
That style mount was used on all the New Process transfer cases beginning in 1980. It is a PITA to get installed.

You are making good progress!

PITA is right!
I'd pieced together pics of what BJ's and other sites offer for sale to figure out it all looked stock, but looking at it for the first time and trying to put it all back together sure made me wonder. I kept thinking there was no way the factory engineers would've kludged it all like that but here we are.

My build thread:
Old 04-19-2021, 06:32 PM
258 I6

Busy with work and personal stuff lately but had time to do a few more things recently.
Bought the 50-State Howell TBI kit and it arrived a couple days ago:

Kit calls for removal of air injection pump, piping, hoses, and vacuum junk, so compartment will look much better than it already does with the driver side pump and piping gone:

Mounted the pump and filter. May need to move it lower if I have issues later:

Test fit the new base plate and TBI assembly. Probably paint the intake and clean more stuff around the area soon:

Some detail work sanding and painting the oil fill tube:

My build thread: