International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 10-21-2019, 08:44 AM
258 I6

This weekend was a doozy!!
First the good:
The sand blaster at my work is not working right now so I went the old route of paint stripper, couple of shots of it bubbling away.
[IMG]IMG-2442 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG-2444 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]

Some more good:
Got the wife to help out, she de-ringed and cleaned up the pistons!
This is were the bad started, to no fault of my wife's I will add!
[IMG]IMG-2449 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG-2453 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
Soon to be a 401!
Old 10-21-2019, 08:59 AM
258 I6

Okay, here we go on the bad from the weekend:
I had ordered all the internal parts of the engine this last week and got them on Friday to install. I would have been able to install the crank, pistons, cam, and heads HAD all gone well. Previously I had measured everything and was surprised that none of the engine had been machined before and bought parts accordingly...some of you may already see where this is going, but don't spoil it for the other viewers
As mentioned above my wife cleaned up the pistons (which I wish we had done earlier) as when she did this we saw on the top of the pistons a little number reading 0.030"!!! Which after re-measuring my block bore, obviously checked out, it had been bored! So that means piston rings need to get returned, no biggy I can still make good progress and do the crank and cam...but for giggles I should measure them the crank again to make sure the main bearings and connecting rod bearing are correct.
WAS I HIGH when I measured last time!(Spoiler alert I was not) They are not standard either! Needless to say all the parts I ordered for this weekend were wrong and will need to be returned and re-ordered.

This sadly is not where the bad luck stops. Trying to salvage what I could do that day with no parts, I decided to hone the block and flat sand the head surfaces to prepare.
The pics below show the before and after, what they don't show is that I am pretty sure I have a crack in one cylinder!!! I will be contacting some engine places to check it for me and then go from there, but again needless to say this is a major set back, and if I end up having to do a full machine job on this block it will have to be put on hold because me and the wife are buying a house on Nov. 1st and don't have it in the budget!
[IMG]IMG-2454 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG-2455 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]

Soon to be a 401!
Old 10-21-2019, 09:00 AM
258 I6

Last bit of rant!
To top it off I got a flat tire on my daily driver this morning on the way to work.

Soon to be a 401!
Old 10-21-2019, 11:30 AM
360 AMC

A) Change your signature, Should say "Soon to be a 407!"
B) Know that .030 bumps your compression up a tiny bit. Not enough to require a change in fuel but should give you a little more HP. I paid $495 to have my block .030 over/honed, so you just saved that much $$.
C) I paid a lot for my .030 over pistons: you saved that, too. I want to say they were $300...?
D) Why do you think there is a crack? do you see it? Better to find it now than when you put it all together, fire it up, and make brown chocolate milk shake while torching all your new bearings.
E) Yes, this sucks but you got a smoking deal on that engine. That was a horrible weekend, but its better than torching a cam lobe or having low oil pressure after a fresh rebuild.
F) How did the valve covers turn out?
G) On your last picture, at the bottom right of the block (Maybe #8's hole?), there is, what looks like a long dent that travels right next to the cooling passage... that looks like it might leak.... you might want to clean that crease out, fill it with JB weld and file/sand it flat...?
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 10-21-2019, 01:03 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
A) Change your signature, Should say "Soon to be a 407!"
B) Know that .030 bumps your compression up a tiny bit. Not enough to require a change in fuel but should give you a little more HP. I paid $495 to have my block .030 over/honed, so you just saved that much $$.
C) I paid a lot for my .030 over pistons: you saved that, too. I want to say they were $300...?
D) Why do you think there is a crack? do you see it? Better to find it now than when you put it all together, fire it up, and make brown chocolate milk shake while torching all your new bearings.
E) Yes, this sucks but you got a smoking deal on that engine. That was a horrible weekend, but its better than torching a cam lobe or having low oil pressure after a fresh rebuild.
F) How did the valve covers turn out?
G) On your last picture, at the bottom right of the block (Maybe #8's hole?), there is, what looks like a long dent that travels right next to the cooling passage... that looks like it might leak.... you might want to clean that crease out, fill it with JB weld and file/sand it flat...?

A) hahaha I will have to change it for sure!
B) C) That is a good point, Thanks for pointing out some silver lining cuz I was definitely not a happy camper on Saturday.
D)There is this rough patch that I couldnt hone away, along with what appear to be line coming from either side of it. I am going by the engine tonight i will try to get a picture to post!
E)I agree, that was the silver lining Saturday was I found it now rather then ruining the engine, for a little while i wasnt even going to take it apart glad i did now.
F) They were mostly stripped, since i have time now i can wait for the sand blaster at my work to get fixed
G) That mark is from old RTV that I tried to flat sand, I scrapped it off now its as clean as a whistle, I will get a pic of that tonight too.

Soon to be a 401!
Old 10-21-2019, 06:07 PM
232 I6

That was a heck of a rotten weekend. Sounds like the month I had last month. I agree, better to find now than go thru all that work and then it rears it's ugly head and you have to start over again. That is the worst feeling, you think it is all done and bam, it hit's you like a 20in crescent wrench up side the head.

Is that a Yamaha Big Bear I see in the pic?
Old 10-22-2019, 08:44 AM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws31
That was a heck of a rotten weekend. Sounds like the month I had last month. I agree, better to find now than go thru all that work and then it rears it's ugly head and you have to start over again. That is the worst feeling, you think it is all done and bam, it hit's you like a 20in crescent wrench up side the head.

Is that a Yamaha Big Bear I see in the pic?

Completely agree rws31!

I believe it is a Yamaha Timberwolf, its my dads. As the Wagon and Engine are currently in his garage while the wife and I look at houses.

Soon to be a 401!
Old 10-22-2019, 08:50 AM
258 I6

Here's the pictures of the "crack" in one of my cylinders. The rough patch in the middle looks alot worse then it is but obviously not good.
[IMG]IMG-2459 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG-2460 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]

Soon to be a 401!
Old 10-22-2019, 10:08 AM
360 AMC

I'm no machinist but that looks like you are going to be sleeving that cylinder...
Old 10-22-2019, 11:03 AM
232 I6

I'm not either but that would have to be addressed before I used it in that condition. I'd have to ask a machinist that I trusted, a lot, before putting money in it. Good luck with it, a bummer for sure.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:18 PM
232 I6

Quote:
You have dual gun racks. Respect.

Your shift knob is AMAZING!

Funny, my 76 came with the EXACT SAME racks ... Was that a factory option?
Old 10-23-2019, 08:19 AM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamitj
Funny, my 76 came with the EXACT SAME racks ... Was that a factory option?

That is crazy! I don't know for sure but I doubt it was a factory option, at least on mine the previous owner put them in for fishing rods.

Soon to be a 401!
Old 10-23-2019, 08:26 AM
258 I6

Quick update:
I called 3 machine shops locally, and all 3 said roughly the same thing.
That if we are sleeving one cylinder it is best to bore the other cylinders, as you can potentially warp the cylinders next to the one they sleeve. Now that being said, they said they can't really know for sure until they see the block. But with all of them saying that it would stand to reason that it would be true.

On the other hand, they all 3 quoted me about the same price for the sleeve (wouldn't quote boring the other cylinders until they saw the block) which I was glad they were all a similar price so at least if I am not getting a good deal its the same deal I'd get all around. Quotes for just the sleeve and decking the head surfaces was between $400-$500.

Soon to be a 401!
Old 10-23-2019, 11:40 PM
304 AMC

That flat tire on the way to work just saved you from an accident somewhere. Thats what I say to myself when something crappy like that happens.
Bummer on the discoveries with the motor. But good to find it now. Hopefully it is all fixable without to much hassle. Congrats on the house. !!

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 11-05-2019, 10:48 AM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
That flat tire on the way to work just saved you from an accident somewhere. Thats what I say to myself when something crappy like that happens.
Bummer on the discoveries with the motor. But good to find it now. Hopefully it is all fixable without to much hassle. Congrats on the house. !!

Thanks kaiserjeeps, that does put it in perspective

Should find out today whether we get the house or not, wish me luck!

Soon to be a 401!
Old 11-05-2019, 10:51 AM
258 I6

Second update, still not looking at doing any engine work until after the house thing.
But i found a 401 block freshly machined 20 over for $900, trying to do a cost comparison for having mine sleeved and bored to just starting with this fresh block???
Any thoughts from you guys is helpful!

I really need to just get my block looked at and quoted to really know if starting with the new block will really save me any money.

Soon to be a 401!
Old 11-05-2019, 01:58 PM
360 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoneer Taylor
Second update, still not looking at doing any engine work until after the house thing.
But i found a 401 block freshly machined 20 over for $900, trying to do a cost comparison for having mine sleeved and bored to just starting with this fresh block???
Any thoughts from you guys is helpful!

I really need to just get my block looked at and quoted to really know if starting with the new block will really save me any money.

If you buy that block you either have to bore to .030 over to reuse your current pistons, or buy new pistons.

I would continue looking... Unless he comes down in price by the cost of new pistons. Does he have a receipt for the machine work? If not, I would assume it needs to be bored.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:09 PM
258 I6

Quote:
If you buy that block you either have to bore to .030 over to reuse your current pistons, or buy new pistons.

I would continue looking... Unless he comes down in price by the cost of new pistons. Does he have a receipt for the machine work? If not, I would assume it needs to be bored.

Yeah you're right if I do that I am really only saving myself a couple hundred bucks and that assuming the block is ACTUALLY machined.

Looks like more and more I should just commit to fixing my block.

Soon to be a 401!
Old 11-05-2019, 03:10 PM
360 AMC

Nah, just keep looking. If you are patient you will find a deal.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:27 AM
258 I6

Quote:
Nah, just keep looking. If you are patient you will find a deal.

I will do that, basically continue to tap into craiglist and search everyday like I already do

Soon to be a 401!