International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 10-16-2019, 05:03 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
I am borderline confused today. And I feel tired. I think it is sinking in. The build was almost a way of life for me. A significant chapter of my existence where lots happened. And a lot changed for me. Being done represents closure to several things. Things I need to put behind me. I am looking forward to many exciting (to me) projects I have had in the wings waiting.
I have always been a Jeep guy. Sadie was not the first Jeep I built for a friend. I have one more friend that wants me to rework his 71 CJ-5. I helped him find that one also. I keep saying no, but he keeps insisting and he knows I am weak when it comes to Jeeps.
All the things mentioned about my friendship with Bill are great. And very true. True friends and friendships do not require effort to maintain. I used to say I am lucky. The real true defination is blessed. I am blessed to have Bill and his family to call my family. I am blessed to have what my Grandpa left me, just enough to buy the tools I needed to reach the goals and complete the job at hand. Some people would go on vacation. Not me.
I had the most fun ever. Being on this board with great like minded people always has and will be a hoot. I need to get my 69 X model uncovered. I just hope it does not take as long to get fixed. My wagoneer has no name. It is in better shape than Sadies was at the start. So thats good.

And I realized my tinkering with trying to find better solutions was displayed on this thread. I believe in sharing the information to help save each and every FSJ. So saying the end is weird.

I do have this. I found window wipe clips that are the same as the ones on the aftermarket wipes. So in theory they could be installed on bulk wipes of a different design that might be a better solution. From Midwest Muscle Car Specialties. They are tempered steel and brittle will probably only fold once.
I will try to find a better wipe for all the windows.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/55-80-NOS-C...ss!83856!US!-1

I appreciate this place and the people here. Very much.

Holy cow! I was also looking for those clips to replace the clips on the new window wipes on my drivers door. For some reason, the clips on the wipe don't line up with the holes in my door for the wipe. They are way off. Finally found these from Rock Auto last night and ordered them.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...848728&jsn=784

While searching for stuff for my project, a lot of times my google search would lead me right back to this sight and a lot of times to your build thread. I think that says a lot about the info on this sight and about your build. I certainly appreciate you passing that knowledge on to others.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:32 PM
258 I6

Thank you for spending the time taking photos and documenting this build as you have. It really should be archived in a book form also.

I am fortunate to have followed it from the beginning looking forward to the progress. and watching it to the end. So worth it! I just wish it could be your own to keep.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:07 AM
Dragin Az

As always, you have produced a better then factory rebuild. WOW, what a beautiful Jeep... Congrats to all. Can't wait for the next build...

46 cj2a

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service bed
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/
Old 10-17-2019, 10:18 AM
304 AMC

Thank you guys. I still get up and habitually check in here. I do think sharing parts finds are important. I have found some stuff (and I did) by reading search results and saving a lot of time getting parts here to install.
I actually enjoy the late night searches. It is part of my wind down evening process. With my head finally hitting the pillow, I would go through the next build or assembly or repair in my head. Visualization works. I would fall asleep and forget what I had thought about.

rws31 that is super cool rock auto carries those. I like rock auto. Thanks for posting that. Those clips are sure brittle. I had one break off the TGW rear outer wipe. The pointed ears broke. It fell off removing it from the package. I did not have a replacement and it got installed missing that one. It seemed to not affect it at all. So when installing in a new wipe, I bet they would have one shot at spreading those ears and securing it.

On the tailgate glass run. I forgot to mention that I folded a shop towel several times into a thick square. I then soaked the towel with silicone spray and ran the towel edge up and down the glass run. It made a difference.

I told Bill it will probably need that a couple times a summer. The window ran up and down pretty fast. I was surprised at the difference in the flexible glass run from Steele over the glass run you get for these rigs. It was worth the fitting efforts.

I pulled the 68 Jeepster in the shop yesterday. I have just a couple rust holes to fix. And when that is done I can return it to it's owner and move MY 69 X wagoneer into the shop. It does not need as much as Sadie and is not stock anymore. I want the body to be original. I guess I will do a build thread on it. I also want to keep making all the parts so I don't loose my edge.

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 10-17-2019, 10:23 AM
304 AMC

Photobucket has generated pay plans for data. Instead of grandfathering me in they now want a monthly payment. I deleted 40 pages of old junk that no longer matters. I tried to preserve Sadies pictures. I am concerned they will nuke my pictures and destroy the thread. Is there any way to preserve this thread? I will pay if I have to. But we are trying to reduce our monthly expenses and this does not help. I heart PB.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 10-17-2019, 12:10 PM
350 Buick

I was going to get on PB and cancel the auto-renew. Maybe I won't.

They renewed my original deal last time even though they were trying to get the big bucks. It was late in that fiasco though and maybe they had already decided to go back to the original deal or whatever they settled on.

What are they trying to do now? I haven't gotten any communication from them. I just posted a few new pic a few days ago and it went the same as always.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:14 PM
350 Buick

"EPIC"

Epic build.

Epic Effort.

Epic teacher.

EPIC RESULT.

Congrats sir !

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
1979 Chero: "Madness"
1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
2001 XJ : Driver 1998 XJ 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

"Madness" build here:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280
Old 10-17-2019, 03:59 PM
230 Tornado

Quote:
..Is there any way to preserve this thread? I will pay if I have to. But we are trying to reduce our monthly expenses and this does not help. I heart PB.

It's just a matter of the site and server owner(s) deciding to download or you email/submit the relating photos to be put to storage.
From there they are then server supported through a dedicated and backed up server-point file.

*I'll ditto what Jim just said, EPIC for sure. I don't post much in here but this has been my main go-to thread in here since the beginning.
Thank you so much for sharing all of it with us. It's been an awesome ride.

Shane
Old 10-17-2019, 10:11 PM
350 Buick

Wow, what a beautiful build. I can't believe it's done. When I come to this board, I always head to the build threads first to see updates. This thread especially. I'm glad to see Sadie done, but sorry to see her go. Can I donate a few bucks for the Sadie foundation to keep PB from killing the thread?
Old 10-18-2019, 12:14 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
Wow, what a beautiful build. I can't believe it's done. When I come to this board, I always head to the build threads first to see updates. This thread especially. I'm glad to see Sadie done, but sorry to see her go. Can I donate a few bucks for the Sadie foundation to keep PB from killing the thread?

Geez Brad, that is generous. No I have it covered. What a very outstanding thing to offer. I need to send PB an email to ask where I stand. I am confused on that. My initial notification was a pop up window telling me I was over in data usage according to their new plan structure. Then the window went away and I can't seem to find out what is up by looking. I really don't want to see the thread get ruined by loss of pictures. I put hundreds of hours finding part numbers and things that worked. With the intent of passing it along. In the end all that achieve's is helping save other rigs by making it easier to find solutions. Our rigs are becoming more unique every day that passes. They are the coolest thing since popcorn.

I pledge to not take as long on my 69 X model. It is taunting me in the garage. I can hear it at night whispering......put me back together....echo echo....

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 10-18-2019, 12:20 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.r.t.
It's just a matter of the site and server owner(s) deciding to download or you email/submit the relating photos to be put to storage.
From there they are then server supported through a dedicated and backed up server-point file.

*I'll ditto what Jim just said, EPIC for sure. I don't post much in here but this has been my main go-to thread in here since the beginning.
Thank you so much for sharing all of it with us. It's been an awesome ride.

Shane

I swear the electronic world would crash without people like you Shane. I never would have a clue on that. Given the reduction in what happens behind the scenes here on this site the last couple years, I doubt it would happen even with a request. I am OK with that. I will do my best to keep photobucket happy. I hate doing that and protest all the way. In the long run I am over their barrel. And they know it.
Thank you for the contribution on it.
Any mods able to make it happen???

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 10-19-2019, 06:10 PM
232 I6

Update on the window wipe clips I found.

The clips look identical but the little spike tab that you push thru the wipe to secure the clip to the wipe is in a different location. It is a little higher on the clip which means it has to be pushed thru a thicker part of the wipe where the wipe y's out to the window and to the door. Sounds confusing I know. I will try to get a pic of what I am describing.

Bottom line is, If you use these clips and put the spike thru the wipe at the same location of the factory ones, it jacks the wipe up to much and the wipe will not set on the door skin properly.

I found this out the hard way. Thought you might like to know.

IMG_20191019_093507861 by Roger Smathers, on Flickr
Old 10-19-2019, 08:20 PM
230 Tornado

Quote:
I swear the electronic world would crash without people like you Shane. I never would have a clue on that.

Awww. Certain vehicle manufacturers would deny that and (try to falsely) implicate me again though. Hahaha!

On that note though, remote host them w a dedicated desktop (server)? Just gotta figure out how to ship ya an old HP desktop I got cleaned and has been sitting around. ie: https://www.instructables.com/id/Tur...-a-web-server/
Old 10-23-2019, 12:52 PM
230 Tornado

Fantastic build thread it has been Al.
I'll be looking at it for years to come.
Thanks for all the wisdom.
Wade
Old 10-23-2019, 11:16 PM
304 AMC

Thank you Wade. I don't know how long the thread will survive. Photobucket sent me an email saying they blurred and watermarked all my images. I had to start a monthly payment to them to restore my images. Those busturds. I would tell them to go fly a kite, but loosing the thread after so much work would be a shame. I put a lot of effort to share information, part numbers, product discoveries, etc.
I have had pictures on PB for years and years. It was always free. Not any more. I strongly urge any folks out there looking for a place to host pictures, find a different place to do it instead of PB. They have destroyed thousands of really good threads all over the internet. In the name of greed.
Anyway, thanks and sorry to go off on it.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 10-24-2019, 07:03 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Thank you Wade. I don't know how long the thread will survive. Photobucket sent me an email saying they blurred and watermarked all my images. I had to start a monthly payment to them to restore my images. Those busturds. I would tell them to go fly a kite, but loosing the thread after so much work would be a shame. I put a lot of effort to share information, part numbers, product discoveries, etc.
I have had pictures on PB for years and years. It was always free. Not any more. I strongly urge any folks out there looking for a place to host pictures, find a different place to do it instead of PB. They have destroyed thousands of really good threads all over the internet. In the name of greed.
Anyway, thanks and sorry to go off on it.

Al, I would STRONGLY, request, urge, plead that you get a flickr (hosted by yahoo) or google photo account going and do a photo dump onto a server like that. Or as suggested above, make a dedicated photo server locally. The FSJ universe is better because of this thread. You da man, Al.

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...
Old 10-24-2019, 07:32 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63J200atLSU
Al, I would STRONGLY, request, urge, plead that you get a flickr (hosted by yahoo) or google photo account going and do a photo dump onto a server like that. Or as suggested above, make a dedicated photo server locally. The FSJ universe is better because of this thread. You da man, Al.

If he did that, the links to the pics won't work. And you can't go back and edit older posts to change the links to the pics.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:44 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
If he did that, the links to the pics won't work. And you can't go back and edit older posts to change the links to the pics.

Dang it Brad. I more meant as a backup for the photos themselves, but really I'm just spit balling here...

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...
Old 10-24-2019, 10:20 AM
304 AMC

Thanks for the other options Greg. I will be moving on from PB. They are no fun anymore. I have just about all the pictures saved on a computer I don't ever go online with anymore. So they are there for Bill and future inquiries. But keeping this thread visible and useful means giving in to PB and allowing them to bill me every month. At least paying to be ad free was an option.
I am still feeling like I need to rush through my other projects. Then have to remind myself the big goal is done. That I don't need to hurry up and get back to it. So it is a slow transition to what was 10 years ago. Creatures of habit we are.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 10-24-2019, 10:23 AM
304 AMC

Quote:

I found that out when I went back to change the model designation of Bills wagoneer. It is not a C model, but had a zero in place on the VIN instead. I think that is base model not one frill what so ever.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7