Thanks everyone. I'm sad to say I signed up here and posted up that first post and lost the link! First time back. Major updates. I've learned so much via the Facebook chat and She's been such a fun project so far. Here's what's happened
1. After pulling the tank a couple of times and cleaning everything out, putting in a new fuel pump, it turns out it just had the short sender so I eventually got the BJs one in and problem solved there. But it's all new breather valves and air tight. We even did the smoke check! Live and learn I guess.
2. Got it smogged just fine after that amazingly but she still ran rough.
3. Pulled the carb and the base plate and gaskets were all cracked. Go that fixed and rebuilt the carb and reset the float and she ran great. Been reliable since then although she still idles a bit rough on deceleration etc but very livable. Choke works and she runs pretty clean but still have exhaust manifold leaks so she sounds like a steam train on the gas.
4. Bought the vinyl trim used from someone and spent two or three days getting the old adhesive off only to not use it to this point. I think I like the no wood look better.
5. Fixed the rear window switch and removed the safety switch as that was a real problem. Also fixed all the windows. The fronts are pretty good but the backs are still slow
6. Removed the fuseable links in the engine compartment and replace with real fused links that I can see and replace if they blow. This really helped with the electrical flow.
7. Installed new Deemer (local here in Santa Ana) springs which got the ride height nice and recently put new Bilsteins front and rear and man does she ride nice!! Love it.
8. New tires as big as I could get.
9. Pulled rear carpet and installed some fake wood flooring which looks nice.
10. New Kenwood head unit/media player with decent JBL 6" front and 6x9" backs and also a Bazooka powered sub which I wrapped with some wood vinyl wrap which is hilarious. Sounds amazing for a low powered system! Now I listen to JJ Grey, Van Morrison, and Johnny Cash all the time in high fidelity! I can also take calls via bluetooth which is awesome.
11. New wood steering wheel and custom beer tap column shifter
12. Spent close to $1k getting the AC working with new condenser, lines, etc. Works killer now.
13. New distributor after I broke the original one (long, lame story)
14. Cleaned the interior and man the stock carpet came back to life!
So now almost everything works (except cruise control) and I'd like to fix the exhaust leak soon and I should be good for a while. Just bought a new Kia Telluride which is loaded but honestly I love the Jeep more since I have so much of a relationship with her now.