International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 12-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Where horseshoes are not a game

Fuel is leaking somewhere.... : )

ok, so I have a very strong unburned fuel smell coming from somewhere on the cherokee. Its present all the time and I can smell a mild fuel odor inside the cab even when Its just sitting parked. The main blast of the fumes comes when accelerating. No matter which gear but if you are applying the accelerator it starts smelling like fuel. Especially upon heavy acceleration.

It runs and drives fine and the carb doesnt seem to be the culprit. Not rich....or at least I dont think it is.

Some current variables to consider are:

1. access cap above fuel sender unit is missing and open. Seems like it shoudnt be reaking of fuel whether open or closed but thought It should be mentioned...
2. exhaust has small leak in seem immediatly before the CAT. I wrapped it with muffler tape to see if I was just getting fumes from that and its mildly improved but still very strong.

Its a 258I6 with the 5 speed.....motorcraft 2100 carb.

Any advice is appriciated....

Jon P.

Cherokee Resto thread:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=162358

Last edited by JP : 12-26-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Grease Monkey

If there is no miss in the acceleration, then its either the feedback line from the fuel filter back to the tank, OR the tank itself....
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1981 Jeep Scrambler Laredo CJ8 (sold)
2000 Jeep Wrangle TJ Sahara (sold)
Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Master Mechanic

Inspect the venting thingies, they have a tendency to leak when the seal gets old. It could be sloshing around on acceleration and causing the fuel to leak there. There are two of them.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 12-26-2012, 09:52 PM

Thanks Gentleman

I will check the feedback line tomorrow afternoon. Will I be able to find its location in the haynes manual?

as for the "Vent Thingy's" , perhaps a little more specifc if possible.
Location of said vent thingys?

Thanks

Jp

83 Cherokee
resto thread:
Old 12-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida83FSJCherokee
I will check the feedback line tomorrow afternoon. Will I be able to find its location in the haynes manual?

as for the "Vent Thingy's" , perhaps a little more specifc if possible.
Location of said vent thingys?

Thanks

Jp

LOL

The "rollover check valves" are located on the top of tank. One in the front middle on in the rear middle. The both should have hoses that attach to them and run towards the front and join into metal tubes that run along the tranny and up the back of the motor. Fron there they transition back to rubber hose and go to the vapor canister.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Old 12-26-2012, 10:04 PM

oh! those vent thingys

lol,

can I view/inspect these without dropping the tank?

83 Cherokee
resto thread:
Old 12-26-2012, 10:24 PM

Look for wet spots (if it's not raining there) along the frame. Is the charcoal cannister hooked up? Leaky accel pump on carb? (pump the throttle while looking at the carb. Motor off, but still warm)
Old 12-27-2012, 01:59 AM
Master Mechanic

Talking The access cap...

They sell new plastic securing bolts for the sender access cap. There is also an O-ring there. If that is not really..really tight you will get a lot of gas smell.

The Charcoal cannister must be setup to vacuum to rid the filter of excess fuel vapor in the cannister. Mine is off and plugged, but just the vented cap on the gas tank in an enclosed garage will give fuel odor. I am going to put some type of cannister back on mine for just that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2pres
If there is no miss in the acceleration, then its either the feedback line from the fuel filter back to the tank, OR the tank itself....
Mallory HEI, AMC 360, Motorcraft 2150
Old 12-27-2012, 07:52 PM

sorry I am slacking

Instead of running the feedback line for leaks this evening , I went to rocklaurence's shop. Wow, my shirt is still wet from the drool. Shelves of parts, powertrain, interior , and two cool J-Truck's. Ones a stepside! plus I found some visors! Score...
If you haven't utilized his services yet I highly recommend it.

Here's a link to his info. - http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/member.php?u=21082

Anyway, I appreciate the advice and will get the trouble shooting started Sat morn.

Thanks,
Jon p.

83 Cherokee
resto thread:

Last edited by JP : 12-28-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Master Mechanic

If you are running a mechanical fuel pump that may be the problem.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:05 PM
232 I6

X2 rollover check valves

Try parking on downhill. If your valves are leaking you will find out soon enough.
Get them checked soon as.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:43 PM

Jon, great to have you stop by. The fuel return line if not capped could be venting or leaking charcoal canister lines could cause the fumes. BTW, its rocklaurence Vintage Auto Parts12. That's why you couldn't find it.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Perfesser of Jeepology

I suspect your biggest leak is at the front of the vehicle.

However, you've gotten good advice
1987 Grand Wagoneer
AMC 360/TF727/NP229
1999 Wrangler Sport
4.0L/AX-15/NV231

Quote:
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction” by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...
Old 12-29-2012, 09:38 PM

Trouble shooting completed

So I followed the advice of the board, and did the fuel odor troubleshoot this afternoon. I’ve taken some photos of the different points of inspection and of the odors perpetrator.

First I checked the fuel filter and its return fuel connection. The photo shows the Y on the carburetor side of the filter and both these hoses appeared to be in decent condition. No leaks or odors were detected either at the idle or during engine acceleration. The fuel return line runs down into a second rubber hose and it was solid as well. From there it runs as a steel line into a central fuel line gathering point attached to the frame, and from there back along the frame and up above the fuel tank itself. None of these connections were wet or leaking so the mystery persisted.

While inspecting the engine compartment I noticed that there were zero fuel odors in that area, but while there were no leaks detected, the cabin of the truck was steadily getting saturated with fuel odor. At this point I decided to remove the rear seat and inspect the access panel area. I was already aware of the absence of the cover to this panel but was surprised at what I discovered upon removal of the seat and carpet.

The fuel sending unit had been repaired/replaced? By the PO, however it was here inside the access panel that I discovered the source of the leaking fumes. The photos show the two fuel lines entering the tank and an unknown rubber plug or seal just under the lip of the access panel. Two of the three connections we not secured. One of the fuel lines moves in and out of the tank, and the unknown plug is pushed up and will not seal. The white goop was apparently an attempt to close these openings ,but it had failed.  When the engine is running and even more so upon acceleration the access panel actually blows a breeze of fuel fumes out of the panel. Most of the flow comes from the rear plug but the entire unit looks wore and faulty.

So….I believe I am correct in assuming that the tank will need to be dropped in order to repair this area and I feel like if I’m going to drop a 30 year old fuel tank I might as well put one of the replacement options from BJ’s offoad back in its place. (Who knows what kind of crap is developed inside the original tank). A replacement sending unit seems to be in order as well. If the pieces shown in the photo will not be included with either of those two replacements what other parts should I order?

I ask the boards advice for this next step…

So…. Mystery solved but still one issue other than the tank left and that’s the fuel access panel cover. Since I have to order the rest I figured I would fabricate a new cover so it is at least sealed off from the inside and might be slightly more tolerable until the replacements are ordered and installed.
I have included photos of this process. Not an overly complicated project but still a Saturday evenings worth of fun. I used stuff that I had in my work rig for shoeing horses so laugh away at the crossover of supplies. If anyone else is missing theirs here’s what I did….

Rather than post these pic here I put them in the main resto thread so as not to double up. Please check out the photos and process there.
heres the link.

83 Cherokee
resto thread:

Last edited by JP : 12-30-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Grease Monkey

Go get a 40 gallon aero fuel tank... Best investment ever! Keep original tank to put back when needed...... Aerotanks.com
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1981 Jeep Scrambler Laredo CJ8 (sold)
2000 Jeep Wrangle TJ Sahara (sold)
Old 12-30-2012, 07:14 PM

Jon, I have several poly tanks; an '80 Cherokee, 89 Wagoneer. Both have holes where I drained them but maybe you can find something to repair yours. Or an 86 with no holes. I also have the tank mount/skids in like new condition.