International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 03-09-2019, 05:48 PM
327 Rambler

Well crap search didn't work and I haven't got time to go back and read all of the post.
Do you remember if you used PC7 or PC 11 to fix the steering wheel. I am thinking 11 because in my little minds eye I saw it as white
Old 03-09-2019, 10:58 PM
230 Tornado

Pliobond

Here is a link to pliobond sold at aircraft spruce. Have used it lots in the aircraft repair business over the years. I see its not for sale in a lot of states. They do have a Cali compliant version for sale.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=5045

Dave
Old 03-10-2019, 01:48 PM
304 AMC

That is a neat company. I got the brake rivet press from aircraft spruce to rebuild the division bar for the front windows and vent frame. It was nice to find a quality made tool.

Frank it was white. Careful sanding as the wheel parent material is soft and can be over sanded. I taped the surrounding area till it was near level. Then blended it. Try not to get to much on it before curing. I am still in Seattle or I would go check for you. It was white though. My almost reliable (not really) memory wants to say PC 11.

Bill and I hit two different stores yesterday for several samples of thin foam. It's in the truck waiting for the trip home. I think I found what I need and bought enough for several door panels. I still need to make some metal embossing samples for pressing the vinyl. My mind is busy with it. Still looking for a cheap oven big enough for a front door stamp.

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 03-10-2019, 05:42 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Here is a link to pliobond sold at aircraft spruce. Have used it lots in the aircraft repair business over the years. I see its not for sale in a lot of states. They do have a Cali compliant version for sale.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=5045

Dave
Famdamntasstic Dave. Thank you For the link. I do everything via internet because my cell phone service is terrible here and I get frustrated trying to make phone orders
Old 03-11-2019, 02:31 PM
327 Rambler

Ordered. Sure hate it when shipping is almost as much as the product!
Old 03-14-2019, 10:29 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ziebert
Ordered. Sure hate it when shipping is almost as much as the product!

I see that a lot. Lately I have been getting packages up to 5 days late after seeing on their tracking site it is on the truck for delivery that day. I suspect the driver does not want to make the trip here. It is remote and a long round trip if I am the only one with a package on the truck here. And the weather exceptions my a55, Our roads are plowed by 7AM. Who knows.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 03-14-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:51 AM
304 AMC

I meet my cousin in a couple hours for editing the door cards (panels). The truck is loaded with panels, clips, door shells, and old complete panels for patterning and building files for the water jet.
I made it home from Seattle last Monday about two hours ahead of a huge snow storm here. So Tuesday with an exception of two hours in the shop to check the fit of the new panels, I spent the entire day moving snow. I kind of enjoy endless hours doing that. That is my thinking time.

So the panels fit pretty well. There are edges and curves that need correcting.
That is happening today.

The back door. I reversed the clips and made sure they fit both sides. It does. I also checked all the doors I had here for fit. I fortunately had a very early door shell. Hole alignment is great.

I like Auveco products. Their catalog is amazing. Here are Chrysler clips that work very well. A little longer but they fit. The exact match clips were made but discontinued.

The part number.

A lot of people have PM'ed me asking if I have found the right door mounted seals. I have great news. YES I found a Auveco profile that is super close. The seal lip is in the right place. Steele rubber products wanted 4.50 cents a foot!!! There is over 50 feet of seal needed here. It would have costs a fortune. Auveco is a great supplier. The box was way more reasonable.

A test fit. Just perfect.

I still have filler pieces to make from high density foam. And one more profile to locate for the front edge of the rear doors.

This one. It goes on the forward edge of the rear doors. I will look tonight.

Photobucket is stuck on stupid for this picture. I will try to load it later.

I will post all of this up in a separate thread when I get all the information so this door seal information and part numbers are not buried in an endless build thread. Easier to find on a search.

The part number. Keep in mind this is a 50 foot box. There is a different part number for a 25 foot box.

Now this is confusing. This is the profile (on the right) of the seals on my 1969 X model doors. I don't know if someone has changed them or if this is a factory seal. The Auveco profile is close but the lip is long. That may affect how the door closes. I may just switch to the 1970 style seal later.

Just for grins, this is how much the Sadies original vinyl has shrunk from 1970. I might restore these with custom cut panel boards (smaller) so the rig can go home with something on. IF I don't get new panels built in time.
In the long run, I would like panels that are new looking and CRISP with detail. I am not there just yet. I said yet.

I have been thinking about door panels for more that 5 years. How to do it. I am really excited to be here finally.
More soon...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 03-14-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:59 AM
350 Buick

You're cutting that stuff on a water jet? The little I've seen of them it seems the whole thing ends up covered with water, not just near the cut line.

How are you getting the clean edges? Seems like they would soak it up even if you applied that hardener stuff. Does it soak all the way through?

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:00 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
You're cutting that stuff on a water jet? The little I've seen of them it seems the whole thing ends up covered with water, not just near the cut line.

How are you getting the clean edges? Seems like they would soak it up even if you applied that hardener stuff. Does it soak all the way through?

I picked them up about 2 hours after they were cut. There was no sign of moisture at all. I have gotten snow or water on them loading and unloading and saw temporary staining. I don't know how they were kept in such good shape. The board is tempered board from Home Depot. Partially sealed with an acrylic that California's labeling law is warning me to stay away from. Once I have a final product I will apply the wood hardener and that will seal them completely before I apply the top layers of foam and vinyl.
I did try to relocate the lower screw holes on the bottom. The board shredded and a fuzzy mess was made. The holes have been deleted since they are not drilled in a standard place. Each door was different. So I will build a marking tool to insert in the screw holes and tell me where to make holes. Probably using a very small bit then a fine mini rat tail file to keep it clean with no fuzz.
I spent the day getting the panels corrected and files over written. I already have an email to the water jet company requesting another cut.
I will certainly keep the information coming as I get it.
Just plain slow as usual.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 03-15-2019, 09:12 AM
230 Tornado

Morning Al,
Great info as always.A bit puzzled by the weather strip pic.First pic.Where is that placed on the door?.Is that what they used on later models?Your second is pic is exactly what I have(had) on my 65 J-3600.
.Along with the added flat strip that was glued on .If I remember right the flat piece was added at the top and latch side of the door only.I think the larger size will be better actually.I'm sure they'll fit nice.Also,what's your plan for glue?
Edit_ I just had a look on there website- There's 2-3 that look like they'd work.One looks a little fatter(taller).Did'nt see flat stuff thou.
Cheers Wade
PS-Whatch your back shovelling all that snow!!!

Last edited by Stumplake : 03-15-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:07 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumplake
Morning Al,
Great info as always.A bit puzzled by the weather strip pic.First pic.Where is that placed on the door?.Is that what they used on later models?Your second is pic is exactly what I have(had) on my 65 J-3600.
.Along with the added flat strip that was glued on .If I remember right the flat piece was added at the top and latch side of the door only.I think the larger size will be better actually.I'm sure they'll fit nice.Also,what's your plan for glue?
Edit_ I just had a look on there website- There's 2-3 that look like they'd work.One looks a little fatter(taller).Did'nt see flat stuff thou.
Cheers Wade
PS-Whatch your back shovelling all that snow!!!

Hey Wade,

Interesting on your post. So you have the Vee type like my X model if I read correctly. So here is a thought. Late 69 AMC was getting the purchase from Kaiser under way. Maybe just maybe from your 65, my 69 and moving into 1970 a change could have been made to the Ford style weather stripping like in my first and second pic. That seal goes all the way around the front doors. There are filler pieces under it in a spot or two. The seal went around the back door but only on the top, rear edge down around the wheel house curve and under the door. The front vertical seal was a different type.

This style right here... This is the photo that photobucket was not processing for some reason. Note the thick solid skin for not showing the air bubbles after some wear occurred. I think I have located something that will work.

Darn weather stripping companies don't post seal dimensions. It is impossible to tell if something will work. Some do and some don't.
A picture is only so good....
I just got off the phone with the water jet company. They will run my second set mid week next week. I drove Sadie for the first time. To move out of the bay and into another around the other side of the building. It was major hairball with the gas pedal not mounted sitting on a milk crate. I won't be doing that again till the pedal is on the studs. That's all I am saying. Don't read this Bill. PS Sadie is just fine.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon