• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sgtjoyce
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 27, 2019

Not getting fuel

78 J20 - Just installed new tank, sending unit, hoses, and mechanical pump. Only old part is the metal lines along the frame rail. Starts fine with starting fluid, so it's definitely a fuel issue. There's about 8 gallons in the tank, so I think that's enough to reach the pickup. Any ideas? Don't have a compressor to blow out the metal lines, so maybe there's crap clogging it. There's no fuel coming out of the pump when I crank it over(for a while). Do I need to prime the pump somehow? I must be missing something simple
    Johnny

78 J20 360, TH400 new project
    77 CJ5 Straight 6, T-18, 10/14 Bolt, 4.88's, 38's, spring over, stretched rear, fiberglass body, cage
    09 JKU Mall crawler
    15 JKU Wife's
  • letank
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jun 03, 2002

weak pump... may be if you have the original carburetor, the motorcraft 2150 you can dump a little fuel down the carb air horn, if the engine starts, it may give it enough ooomph, rpm, to give the pump more cycles to self prime...

sometimes the line can be slightly rusted at the pick up and the pump is pumping air
    Michel
    74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
    85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Sgtjoyce
      230 Tornado
      • Sep 27, 2019

found the leak

After posting this it was bugging me that I never checked the metal lines. Just tried sucking on the line, didn't get any fuel. Tried blowing in the line, didn't hear bubbling in the tank. Found a little split in the rear metal line against the frame. Probably going to put a small section of rubber hose over the split as a sleeve for now. Just want it running right now, so I can look for any other engine issues. I'll replace the metal lines properly when I take the bed off.
      Last edited by Sgtjoyce; 05-25-2020, 08:55 PM.
      Johnny

78 J20 360, TH400 new project
      77 CJ5 Straight 6, T-18, 10/14 Bolt, 4.88's, 38's, spring over, stretched rear, fiberglass body, cage
      09 JKU Mall crawler
      15 JKU Wife's

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
        350 Buick
        • Feb 15, 2010

You could always run rubber fuel line for a temp fix till you can do the new metal lines.

Comment

• letank
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jun 03, 2002

glad that you found the leak... the 74 has still its hard plastic line...

Rubber will be good for quite some time, it has to be checked every 5 years because it is not as good as it used to be.
          Michel
          74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
          85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
          X