International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Engine

Old 08-01-2000, 12:37 PM
Master Mechanic

Wink

I am so bummed right now there arent words for it.. just got my rebuild kit and a new float for my 2150 carb today.. Im sittin here right now in my living room. after completly disasembling it down to the bare base.. i went outside and started hosing it down with carb cleaner and scrubbing with various toothbrush's ect... then it happend.. I sprayed my mighty stream of carb cleaner into the "Ignition port vac source" as it is called in the tech section tips on rebuilding a 2150. a nipple that a rubber hose goes on... passenger side right near the bottom of the carb and near the front.. well much to my suprise, the carb cleaner sprayed right out of the side of the carb.. once i scrubbed the funk of forty thousand years off of it, I found a large crack that is nearly ready to break that entire corner(tab) of the body off.. and no doubt a huge vac leak.. cant tell if im mad or just depressed but this means no more driving my Wag.. and back to the stand by. 2wheeldrive commanche which is like driving a herbie curby around.. should have bought that new 2150 on ebay a few weeks ago.. now i need to get a 2150 to rebuild. since the kit cost's 51 bucks plus a 5 dollar float.. i want to use this stuff not waste my hard earned cash.... sorry about the rant, but I had to vent somewhere and perhaps some of you folks have had a similar experience..
By the way who were these people before me that thought that the carb had to be bolted down like it was gonna be a cleat to hold cruise ships to the dock. oh well .. now i guess ill put it back together and throw it in the spare parts bin.. if anyone needs any parts off it besides the base\body youre welcome to them

------------------
88 Grand Wagoneer
D44's front\rear
AMC 360
TF 727
NP 229 (Funky)
Bone Stock (for now)
NO RUNNING BOARDS!
Old 08-01-2000, 01:14 PM
Grease Monkey

Wink

My-o-my, your story is so sad a tear dropped out of my eye just thinking about your plight. Fortunately for you, I recently upgraded my 360 with a Holley EFI. I have an extra 2150 in desparate need of a rebuild. It's yours if you want it. Just email me your address and the Santa's summar ups elves will deliver it up.

It's so depressing to think that there is an FSJ lying on a driveway unable to breathe.

------------------
1987 GW "Global Warmer"
AMC360 / NP229 / TF727
Holley Projection 2bbl
TFI Ignition upgrade
Old 08-01-2000, 02:59 PM

Thumbs up

Free carb to Clark! Man, I love this place!

100 cool points to lanierboy!

------------------
83 Wagoneer.... um... thats all
Old 08-01-2000, 03:30 PM

Wink

It's Christmas in August now?!?!? WOW!!!! you guys never told me!!!! Who get's my wish list....ummmmm let's see..... 38x14.50 Super Swampers... and uuhhh....yeah... P/T kit of myQT.....and... what else....uhhh... oh yeah.... a couple gallons of that Durabak. YEAH!!!!That otta do it for now... who gets the wish list to fill.... any takers?

Just havin' fun.... good for you Jason... Nice guys like Lanierboy are a good breed ...like The Forum users . Props to ya Lanierboy... way to help out a fellow FSJer.

P.S. Jason... half done with the rear mods and started the steering today. SHHHHHH!!!

------------------
TJ
78 Wagoneer "River Beast"
360/TH400/QT
Dana 44's (soon to be 4.88's)
7" SOA conversion
4" Skyjacker Softride
3" Trailmaster Bodylift
33x12.50's on 15x10's
(soon 38.5x14.50's on 12's)
My FSJ site: http://www.geocities.com/~spazz4life
"Where there's a hill...there's a way!"
Old 08-01-2000, 03:36 PM
Master Mechanic

Wink

Yes Lanierboy is the king of the world as far as I know (Steely Dan qoute).

by the way if anyone needs parts for a 2150, mine is good except the body\base. so if anyone wants it to rob parts from let me know its also free..

(RB.. Muh ha ha ha ha ha.. the mad scientest activity continues. blaaaa ha ha ha haa ha ha ha.. ) pay no attention to this ............

------------------
88 Grand Wagoneer
D44's front\rear
AMC 360
TF 727
NP 229 (Funky)
Bone Stock (for now)
NO RUNNING BOARDS!
Old 08-01-2000, 03:44 PM
Master Mechanic

Wink

what do ya think about dark green on burgandy???????....

ie.. forest green duraback on my entire waggy.. even inside on the metal cargo area and trim pieces.. against the burandy leather.... ..
ive seen green and burgandy\maroon togethor lots of times. even lots of times as the color scheme in bars.. green\burgandy\and wood

------------------
88 Grand Wagoneer
D44's front\rear
AMC 360
TF 727
NP 229 (Funky)
Bone Stock (for now)
NO RUNNING BOARDS!
Old 08-01-2000, 08:05 PM
bignblue

Wink

Actually Mr. Griswald, the burgandy color in bars started out as tan but was discolored by all the smoke and bull:o:o:o:o:o floating through the air . I'm getting out of the bar biz...got an interview for an honest, responsible job tomorrow that will give me weekends free to wrench on my Cherokee. Wish me luck.

------------------
'78 Chero WT
401/4bbl/TH400/QT
44s F&R
"Jeep: the toughest 4-letter word on wheels"
Old 08-02-2000, 12:27 AM

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ClarkGriswald:
what do ya think about dark green on burgandy???????....

ie.. forest green duraback on my entire waggy.. even inside on the metal cargo area and trim pieces.. against the burandy leather.... ..
ive seen green and burgandy\maroon togethor lots of times. even lots of times as the color scheme in bars.. green\burgandy\and wood

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ummm.... I try to picture it it my head, and come up with... well... thinkin' of Christmas again!!! Nah... just kiddin'....sounds cool. I'm gonna go my very first idea for a paint scheme with the Durabak. It's $129/gal for anything other than black though. OUCH!!! 4 gallons if figured should coat everything.... hmmmm... better start saving now

P.S. I talked to them and said a 1/4" spray tip is what they use for applying...think I'll look into tha tip for my new gun (Wife's getting me a 6.5 hp 35gal compressor with an assortmment of accessories for X-mas) Man, I love my better half... she means the world to me, in all seriousness.

------------------
TJ
78 Wagoneer "River Beast"
360/TH400/QT
Dana 44's (soon to be 4.88's)
7" SOA conversion
4" Skyjacker Softride
3" Trailmaster Bodylift
33x12.50's on 15x10's
(soon 38.5x14.50's on 12's)
My FSJ site: http://www.geocities.com/~spazz4life
"Where there's a hill...there's a way!"
Old 08-02-2000, 02:14 AM
Grease Monkey

Talking

Mr. Griswald,

I have a Motorcrap 2150 recently removed and in reasonable working order. Since I am in Cincinnati, OH. it may be easy to get to you. It sits on my workbench looking pitiful so let me know if it would help. It's free just cover me on shipping and a box. Check out "For Sale" for other stuff.

Dutch
Old 08-02-2000, 02:31 AM

Wink

Clark;
Same here, I have a spare 2150 in good working order currently been used as a door stop. I'm around the Toronto area, shipping would be under 10$. Let me know if you want it!
Old 08-02-2000, 04:41 AM
Master of B.S.

Smile

I know that you already have one but I to have one that is just sitting in my garage along with about 200 other odds and ends from my parts rig.

RB, what color were you planing on using again? Because herculiner now has colors. I believe they have red, green, white, gray, and blue. You can get this stuff anywhere and it is the same as durabek. This is the stuff that was in my suzuki. It is always on sale at K-Mart for $79-$89 a gallon. Also if you want to do this before X-mas, you can use my compressor. I am going to pick up the gun in about two weeks. I don't think it will take four gallons 2 should do it. I put three coats in my zuk and I still had almost half a gallon left.

------------------
'67/'79 Wagoneer mix
Body of a 33 year old
Heart and legs of a 21 year old.
360,TH400,QT,D44's F&R
32X11.50's

"I regret that I have but only one paycheck to give to my Jeep."
Old 08-09-2000, 07:03 PM
Master Mechanic

Wink

Ok, it is 2:51 in the morn. I got home at about 10 at night on wednesday, to find the carb that Lanierboy sent to me. Now Im kicking back with a captian and coke, admiring my excellent combination of my old carb and Lanierboys carb.. (which was a reman. and much cleaner than my old one. but mine had some better parts on it like the powervalve cover. which was really warped on the reman carb.. anyway. its ready to go on the waggy . I'll put her on and tune it tommorow)

But more importantly, Lanierboy ROCKS!!!!... Thanx again and again for sending me this carb.. . by the way it was full of tons and tons of broken chips of plastic or rubber or something, hope this stuff wasnt getting into your motor (although it appears that some of it probably was) I sure hope (sure you did) you replaced your fuel filter and checked your supply lines when you changed to your new system.. might wanna look around in your filter or whatever.. mabye that stuff was in the fuel tank???? It may have been causing prob's with the carb from the looks of it. just a thought.. now it is sitting on top of my leslie mocking me hehehe.. tommorow it begins its new life...

Long live this List\Forum\Website\Community

------------------
88 Grand Wagoneer
D44's front\rear
AMC 360
TF 727
NP 229 (Funky)
Bone Stock (for now)
NO RUNNING BOARDS!
Old 08-09-2000, 10:58 PM
Grease Monkey

Wink

That's interesting that the old carb was full of garbage. I've only had the GW for around 2k miles and I've found more signs of abuse, neglect and screwball halfbaked fixes than I can believe. With 183k miles on her, the body is in very good shape but mechanically has been something else. On the bright side, I've upgraded my mechanical knowledge from none-existent to "I know enough to be dangerous" -- mostly because of this forum!!! Good luck with the rebuild and if the reman base doesn't work out, you know the old saying "jack, jack no take back"

------------------
1987 GW "Global Warmer"
AMC360 / NP229 / TF727
Holley Projection 2bbl
TFI Ignition upgrade
Old 08-10-2000, 06:10 AM
Master Mechanic

Wink

This is about the happiest story I've read all week . . .

BTW, even though I'm now going to be broke after I fix my Vette, I'm still wanting to install the Holley injection. How tough did you find the task Lanierboy?
Old 08-10-2000, 06:38 AM

Arrow

I could use one of those extra 2150's - I need to rebuild mine, but as a first-timer, I'd like to minimize downtime (and disaster potential!) by rebuilding one, then swapping it in. I'd be happy to pay shipping, and then pass mine along on the same terms when I'm finished. Thanks!

------------------
-Mike
'85 GW "Cherry Bomb"
360/727/229/44/20/3.31
Flowmaster, K&N AF
Old 08-10-2000, 02:53 PM

Wink

anyone with extra motorcrafts that no one else needs can gladly send them my way- im in dayton,ohio. a frined of mine is probably looking to put one on the 258 in his xj,if we can figure the snorkel attachemnt out...

i have the basic 2bbl projection on my camaro,and it was an easy install. the hardest part was removing the tank to install the return line. ehile you may have return lines that you can use,id probably reccomend installing a new one,especially if the lines are old. the return line thats there is undoubtedly 5/16 or less. i ran a 3/8(if i remember correctly,its prolly been 2 yrs since i did it) return line and have less than 1 lb of return backpressure. if you dont allready have a 4bbl intake,add that to the list. other than that, screw in the sensors,make a few electrical connections,plug it all in- sorry i couldnt be alittle more jeep specific,but i would think it to not be any harder in a FSJ,and well worth it,IMO. the coolest part was putting a subtle emblem above the rear bumper on the driver side that reads "fuel injection"

------------------
scott
85 grand wagoneer
258 with motorcraft 2bbl/904/twin stick dana 300/dana 44/welded amc 20
38x15.5 gumbo mudders
snorkel/dual batteries/onboard air/"custom" convertable
3 inch body lift/mostly stock suspension/"modified" fender openings
custom front/rear bumpers and brushgaurd

possible small block chevy "test" swap in near future

[This message has been edited by scotty (edited August 10, 2000).]
Old 08-10-2000, 03:42 PM
Dave

Wink

I have 3 or 4 Motorcraft carbs sitting around doing nothing, that I dont need. Any takers? I also have A fuel tank skid plate off of a 79 Wagon, And some misc. 360 parts that I dont have a need for (no timimg covers). I really dont want to ship the skid plate. Any one planing any trips near me. Im gonna be moving this fall and thats just more stuff I would have to deal with.
fsj79w@hotmail.com

------------------
Dave
79 Wagoneer
"BOHICA"
Old 08-11-2000, 05:22 AM
Master Mechanic

Cool

I've got the 4 barrel edelbrock intake Scotty. At some point I WILL do this. But it will be a while now. The matching holley to that edelbrock is $1350. My new Vette motor is going to be $3300.
Old 08-11-2000, 01:45 PM
Grease Monkey

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Narnian:
This is about the happiest story I've read all week . . .

BTW, even though I'm now going to be broke after I fix my Vette, I'm still wanting to install the Holley injection. How tough did you find the task Lanierboy?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I installed the 502-20s which is a low end 2bbl projection unit that will mount on the stock intake manifold with an adapter. The installation was fairly straight forward as outline in the Tech section of this site in the fuel systems section.

However, I havn't worked all the bugs out yet. I'm working through two problems
1) The engine floods and bogs when I slam down the gas peddle from a standstill. I emailed Holley and they suggested that the return line was too small or restricted and that the return pressure might be greater than 4psi which will cause this. This is entirely possible because I skimped and used the 1/4" stock return line which is smaller than the 5/16" absolute minimum recommeded by Holley. I'm in the process of hunting down a fuel pressure gage to test this before going throught the PITA process of replacing the return fuel line. Unfortunately, the fuel pressure gauges at the chain autoparts store do not have that low of resolution.
2) The other issue that I'm working through is that the engine idle speeds lopes around 200 rpms. Holley suggested that this is do to a vacuum leak but I don't know about that. Another forum member is having the same problem.

The engine in my jeep was supposedly replaced with an autozone rebuilt longblock 18k miles ago but, it sure has a lot of problems. The previous owner definitely did not give the jeep the same love (and money) that I have over the past few months. I was going to tinker with it some more this weekend but, unfortunately, I went big on my wakeboard earlier today leading to a trip to the x-ray room and doctors orders are to stay off my leg for a while... I'm a 19 year old trapped in a 37 year old body but, that's another story.

On the upside, I definitely have much better throttle response, more power and my MPG has improved from around 10 to 11. I expect better improvement once I get the system properly tuned. All in all, I'd do the upgrade again but I might opt for a performance intake manifold and the 4bbl projection unit that has a Manifold pressure sensor that the unit I'm using doesn't support.

------------------
1987 GW "Global Warmer"
AMC360 / NP229 / TF727
Holley Projection 2bbl
TFI Ignition upgrade
Old 08-12-2000, 06:20 PM
Master Mechanic

Wink

Well I'm back. I rebuilt that carb from lanierboy, threw it on the jeep on thurs and rough tuned it enough to get me to Kalamazoo to do a show, then on Fri morn I had about an hour or two to mess with it and start fine tuning it before I had to head to South Haven for two days of the national blueberry festival right on the black river couple thousand feet from lake michigan.(Headliner tonight was Loving Spoonful) anyway. Friday after I kinda had those few hours to do a little adjustment.. it ran great and great that night.. Saturday it started right up (finally no more can of starting fluid, thanx again lanierboy) but when the choke stepped down to idle it started running real bad.. I drove it to south haven like that and just before I got to the stage, I put the pedal down in frustration which resulted in a real small backfire. which restored it to its normal good running state like the day before.. and ran fine all the way home.. so Im not sure yet what the heck that was all about but tommorow I finally have some time to really work with it.. so mabye I'll get her in the pocket tommorow.. ok theres my update.. woohoo. forgot that loving spoonfull were the ones that did "nashville cats" love that song

------------------
88 Grand Wagoneer
D44's front\rear
AMC 360
TF 727
NP 229 (Funky)
Bone Stock (for now)
NO RUNNING BOARDS!