International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 10-23-2019, 11:07 PM
304 AMC

Greg, your truck looks like a million bucks The hubcaps really set it off. Nice bed, tires , everything!

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 10-25-2019, 06:54 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63J200atLSU
Man, I just read through your truck bed saga. That kind of stuff makes me want to pull my hair out. If you ever feel like building a bed like mine, I've got a solidworks assembly file for it!

Nothing ever seems to go exactly as I think it should with my truck. Sometimes I wish I had gone several different routes with it. If anything ever happens to it I'm going to buy a catalogue truck so I can at least get parts for it.You are doing great and have done a great job saving a truck that most people would have written off as scrap.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:47 PM
232 I6

That really looks great! Loving the wood on it too. Very cool!
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 10-30-2019, 08:29 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps

On your vibration, check to see if your rear driveline U-joints are withing 1 degree of each other. Despite using all new original parts, Sadie was 8.3 degrees out. (terrible vibration driving)

Have a good one!

Al, I've been doing some research on driveshaft angles and fixing potential issues. I have also just learned about phasing, which is pretty interesting, but I definitely did NOT check any of these things 3 1/2 years ago when I, a total noob to all things drivetrain related, began this project by installing the rear driveshaft. The truck isn't lifted and the springs don't actually seem saggy front or rear, so I'm kind of betting it's a phasing situation. Adding to this suspicion is that the driveshaft (if it was even intended for this truck originally... I don't know, it was in the cab when I bought it...) was not attached to the truck and I can easily imagine it coming apart and just being thrown back together. Will get under there and check that out this evening after work.

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...
Old 11-04-2019, 11:03 PM
304 AMC

Greg, when are you going to post the picture you sent me? You gotta post that and show the guys.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 11-05-2019, 02:06 PM
360 AMC

POST POST POST POST!!!!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 11-06-2019, 09:30 PM
304 AMC

The pic is super cool, I mean really super cool. Come on Greg, Post up already. Geez you would think he is getting married or something.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 11-08-2019, 09:57 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
The pic is super cool, I mean really super cool. Come on Greg, Post up already. Geez you would think he is getting married or something.

Haha, ok, ok... If you guys insist.

I got the bedskirts assembled and mocked up. I know Rang-a-stang is a fan of the exposed leafs of the suspension, but I just felt like it would make the whole situation a little more "buttoned up" looking. Today after work, I'll take the skirts back off and tung oil the wood/blast and paint the mounting brackets.

I also got to work making the bulkhead. The sheet of 16 (or 18, I don't remember which) ga steel I bought to originally do the floors has really gone a long way... I didn't have a long enough piece to do the whole thing, so I but welded two pieces together. This is going to be covered, so I'm not really worried about the weld being perfect. I'm also going to reinforce the bulkhead with c-channel pieces. After I got the sheet tacked on to the top tube, it was pretty substantial anyway, but this is something that will hopefully allow me to mount a spare tire carrier to my bulkhead at some point and not compromise its structure.

Oh, and I found and vanquished this guy.

I got my hands on a 2" thick slab of heart pine that I'm going to plane, rip and chop to form the main portion of my tailgate, hopefully I can get that done today once I get the c-channel attached to the bulkhead. 15 days till the wedding and I'm really gonna be cookin with gas, so apologies for the random nature of many of my posts... More soon-ish.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:23 PM
232 I6

Shazaam. Very nice indeed. Anybody that doesn't like that is on crack.

That spider just gave me the eebeejeebees. I hate spiders
Old 11-08-2019, 12:44 PM
350 Buick

This outstanding project confirms I just need to throw in the towel. My low skills will never bring my wag up to this level of perfection. Off to a corner to pout, I shall.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:28 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
This outstanding project confirms I just need to throw in the towel. My low skills will never bring my wag up to this level of perfection. Off to a corner to pout, I shall.

Oh no you don't. Go back and read some of my first posts... My work is still far from perfect, but anything I learned is pretty much from the doing.

I do have one piece of project advice. It's to come up with a real vision of what you want it to be at the end and every decision you make, think, "Does this bring me closer to or further from my vision?" Don't be deterred by other people's thoughts on how it's going to turn out, don't be afraid to mess it up (I had to paint this truck, including the dash, twice because I messed up my first paint job with urethane window sealant). As much as possible, try to learn the right way to do things. Don't be afraid to ask questions. This community has some truly awesome folks in it

Mostly, enjoy the waggy as much as you can, that's presumably why you have it! And enjoy the process of making it how you want it!

Old 11-08-2019, 01:34 PM
360 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63J200atLSU
...I know Rang-a-stang is a fan of the exposed leafs of the suspension, but I just felt like it would make the whole situation a little more "buttoned up" looking...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!! It's not my truck and you OBVIOUSLY have MUCH better taste than I do because yours is approximately 1,321,434% nicer than mine! I do love the exposed leafs but those skirts look pretty darn magical too!!
Old 11-08-2019, 09:50 PM
304 AMC

Does that not look totally sharp? Told ya....

Dang on the black widow. You can keep that and we will keep the great big cougar that has been lurking at my neighbors and my place. At least you can see a salivating cougar charging you...
Looks like the spider is a victim of carb cleaner? How did you bag it ??
Ugh, I gotta go look again.
You can see it's fangs.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 11-11-2019, 01:22 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Does that not look totally sharp? Told ya....

Dang on the black widow. You can keep that and we will keep the great big cougar that has been lurking at my neighbors and my place. At least you can see a salivating cougar charging you...
Looks like the spider is a victim of carb cleaner? How did you bag it ??
Ugh, I gotta go look again.
You can see it's fangs.

I'm with KJ, you can keep those suckers.

The truck looks great! I like the bed skirts, they do give it a more finished look.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:26 PM
327 Rambler

Tailgate is DONE

Very pleased to report that in the last-big-push-before-the-wedding weekend, I got the tailgate done, and resultingly (word? I don't think this is a word....) the bed as well.

The frame of the tailgate itself was pretty straightforward. Measured out my box opening and left 1/8" on each side and 1"4 on the bottom. The wood, similarly, was simple. Planed it down so it would close flush. The frame corner posts are made of 2-1/2" angle and the tailgate fits inside of it with a 2-1/4" angle iron. Then I cut to length and ripped the pieces and got them snugged in.

The hinges are heavy duty gate hinges from home depot. I cut them to fit and tacked them onto the frame of the tailgate. They look strangely appropriate.

For the chain loop, whatever it's called, I used an eye bolt through the bed support gussets. I also cut a steel tube to length so when I tightened down the eye bolt, it had something to clamp down on besides the sheet metal. I realized I'd need a second hole to connect the other end of the tailgate chain, so I mounted a piece of 2-1/4" angle iron and cut it down so it's hidden behind the gusset, then drilled a hole through the gusset and the support. Way stronger and an easy fix.

20191116_171913 by Greg Talmage, on Flickr

Painted the frame black and got a good coat of tung oil on the panels before final assembly and installation. The chains are some modified trailer safety chains.

Only thing I have left to do is route the old school Jeep logo and do a little black epoxy fill. That'll have to wait until after the wedding...

I also got to work on the door panels. They're the ones Men In Black sells here on ifsja. Fitment was great. I'm planning on covering them in tan vinyl, which I have already, but that may or may not get done this week before the wedding. But the black abs cleaned up the door panels a lot. Now I've just gotta get the headliner panels installed. My truck was apparently not the deluxe model, so it doesn't have the holes in the front for the third headliner panel, so I'll have to get that *very carefully measured* and holes drilled. Then, it should just be a pop in situation.

More soon-ish!

Old 11-18-2019, 09:33 PM
350 Buick

that wood is just beautiful.

a fine truck.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 11-19-2019, 08:05 AM
360 AMC

I agree with Dave. It really is a fine looking truck! The combination of the colors (Green, wood, black) and the wheel/tire/hubcaps really look super good. Nothing sticks out on it's own; it just all works together. So well planned out and done. I totally dig the screws on the tailgate frame. They look zinc coated against a black background. Soooo cool....

Whats that in the bed in the last picture? Looks like either a portable CNC/laser cutter, or a planer.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:48 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Whats that in the bed in the last picture? Looks like either a portable CNC/laser cutter, or a planer.

It is indeed a planer. I have gobs of metal working tools that I've accumulated over the course of this project, but I still have to borrow my neighbor's woodworking-specific tools from time to time

Thanks for the kind words on the bed. I'm still pretty dumbfounded that it came out so good.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:47 AM
232 I6

The tailgate looks great! I like the way the screws stand out against the black metal. The bed done in wood is really sharp.

I'm looking forward to seeing that Jeep Logo router-ed in and filled, that will really pop on the wood!

Great job all around, Greg.
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 12-06-2019, 10:45 AM
327 Rambler

MARRIED!

I'll post some more pictures from the wedding at some point for anyone interested, but November 23, my then-fiance and I got married. The truck was there, of course, which required a 150 mile round trip drive on back roads from Baton Rouge to my parents house in Covington, LA. The truck performed flawlessly other than scary steering thanks to the Ross bellcrank setup... I just wanted to post a picture someone took of our "first look" when our photographer had me posted up behind the truck and Elizabeth came out to greet me. Real human tears.

It's a pretty short list of things that I'm going to do to the truck at this point besides drive it. It's *mostly* done for now, save for some regular maintenance items and things that I'll do as they come up... All I've got now is:

Cover my door and headliner panels with tan vinyl. They're already mounted and installed, and the vinyl is purchased, I just need to get some spray adhesive and mount the vinyl to the panels.

Address the steering gear. The old Ross bellcrank setup, when driving in a straight line has about 45 degrees of play in either direction which makes narrow roads... interesting. I'm going to follow the service manual procedure for disassembling and adjusting the steering gear and replacing any wear items as necessary.

I've been getting a lot of clutch hop, and I also believe I have to much pre-tension on the throwout bearing. If I push the clutch all the way in, there's a noise in rhythm with the engine RPM that pulses back up through the clutch pedal. I'll be making the necessary adjustments and possibly doing a clutch replacement.

Weather sealing: Despite the fact that this truck sees almost no weather, I'd really like to get the fresh air vents sealed so they don't pour water into the carpet area. It's actually more of a problem when I wash the truck...

Overdrive. I've found a source for the overdrive unit and the overdrive solenoid. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I'm planning on using a normally closed relay powered by the 4wd engagement light to disable the od when the truck is in 4wd mode. This is more of a dummy lockout thing, but I'd hate to inadvertently tear up my drivetrain over something stupid like that... I'll also have to get the driveshaft shortened. That really only need happen after the steering is addressed, however, as I'm not driving over 60 in this truck until that point. Just too scary (don't get me started on wind gusts).

Jeep logo on the tailgate. I've got the acrylic to make a router template, just need to get it water-jetted and then I'll fill the routed out portion partially with black epoxy to make the Jeep logo. This will provide a small relief and give the tailgate a little bit of texture. I also am not extremely happy with the tung oil's durability on the bed wood. The horizontal sections have started to show some mildew (lots of moisture here in Louisiana) and so I think I have one more bed disassembly in front of me to sand down the bed and put a matte poly on the whole thing before reassembly I'll do that in conjunction with the logo on the tailgate.

Seat re-upholster: I have a horse blanket seat cover on it now and it looks cool, but the truck deserves more. Going to get a new skin made with tan vinyl and give myself a comfy place to sit. I'll probably also need to repair some of the seat springs and mounts while I'm at it...

Hope you've enjoyed the ride, friends. It feels pretty surreal to be driving around in this old truck, considering where it came from. I really started off wanting something I could use as a work truck and ended up with something I'll cherish for the rest of my life. People ask me all the time if I'd ever sell it and the answer, quite simply, is no. One, I couldn't get enough for it to actually pay me anything more than peanuts for the time I have in it and two, I just love this truck. It's not a show truck, it doesn't drive great, it's loud and rides like... a truck... the paint is heavily flawed (I'll have to do a repaint sooner rather than later, but I'll worry about that down the road), it's slow, it's not super useful (although the bed being rhino-lined has upped the utility of the truck immensely) and Elizabeth doesn't want to drive it, but it represents 4 years of me just plugging away and trying to learn everything I could, every step of the way. There is so much input from so many different people who have helped get this truck to where it is, I can't even begin to thank you all enough. Joe, in the beginning, you helped me get it running, Todd (wherever you've been), you convinced me to try and learn to do things the right way, which I've stuck to mostly. Al, holy crap man, I can't even begin to thank you enough, for both your thread on Sadie and your personal messages, emails and general friendship throughout this. And recently, I've just been overwhelmed by the amount of support the rest of you have shown for me sticking to my guns on what I always knew I wanted to do with this truck. I'll still be around here, as I'll always need parts, I'm sure, and I'll keep you all posted on anything else I do to the truck.

Thank you guys and gals for everything.

Greg