International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 10-15-2019, 05:06 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Hahaha! True life. All my sandals have little craters melted into the straps from welding. I also have scars on my feet from sitting on a mechanics chair, welding (in sandals), and having little droplets of molten metal land on my feet. Not that I weld all that much but I do wear sandals pretty exclusively, other than to work. Luckily I have never dropped anything too heavy on my feet while wrenching. I am sure that will happen very soon, now that it has been mentioned.

Yes, you just cursed yourself.

But wait till you are welding on your side underneath your vehicle and a welding slag rolls down into your ear. All you hear is the sizzle from the melting ear wax which is probably a blessing at that point. That is a bad sound, trust me.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:03 PM
360 AMC

Last week it started missing on one cylinder. I am pretty sure it's #3 and I was too pissed off to mess with it, so I just parked it.

I am getting back into clearing stuff out of my garage. One thing in there taking up a decent amount of space is bkilby's loaned to me seat bottom. So I decided to fix my seat so I can get his back to him. I took my cover off (it's in SUPER good condition and the wife agreed to let me put it through the washing machine) and took a look inside.

The padding is in good condition, too. I am going to re-use it.

Now the frame? it's demolished. I can fix it but I would prefer to replace it. Anyone have a chunk-o-Chero-seat laying around I could buy? Can be driver or passenger side but has to be folding. I'll put a wanted ad up.
This side of the bottom rail has cracked and pulled away from the frame:

This spar has broken off:

And this part; I knew it was broken but its really bad. Looks like someone tried to fix it at some point but did a really bad job.

I also bought a carpet kit on Craigslist a couple months ago for $25. Its about 2 shades lighter than I wanted but, hey, it was $25 and it's brand new/never installed. Anyone ever seen a one piece front carpet kit like this? I hope to install it this week sometime so I don't have to store it anymore.

Funny story. I had an infection and my Dr. gave me a prescription. I opened the bottle and found this pill. Little did he know, I took this pill a few years ago and it has resulted in me spending gobs of money and time on a never ending project but did not prevent this infection.

Tuesday I also sent my daughter off to Army Basic training. Super proud of her. She's at Fort Jackson in SC.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 10-21-2019, 03:43 AM
232 I6

$25 for the whole front piece. Can't beat that.

No wonder you have been wanting to buy more Jeep stuff and work on it. Good thing you didn't take 2. You could give one to everyone on this board and then put all your left over Jeep parts for sale on here and it would be a buying frenzy.

We wish her luck on the beginning of her service. I know how you feel. My son went into the Army right out of high school.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:32 AM
258 I6

Sorry about the misfire on #3 Marc!

That is hilarious about the AMC Pill!

Wishing your daughter the best!

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
Soon to be a 401!
Old 10-21-2019, 08:42 AM
350 Buick

marc,

wishing you the best for your daughter

she is not too far from me in NC while in SC !

your daughter is a pretty young lady,.....

I would bet she is just as nice as you are.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 10-29-2019, 12:47 PM
360 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws31
...We wish her luck on the beginning of her service. I know how you feel. My son went into the Army right out of high school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoneer Taylor
...Wishing your daughter the best!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
marc,
wishing you the best for your daughter
she is not too far from me in NC while in SC !
your daughter is a pretty young lady,.....
I would bet she is just as nice as you are.
dave in NC
Thanks! I have gotten a couple calls from her and let her know some folks that have never met her and wishing her the best! I think that is sooooo cool! Thanks gentlemen!
How far are you from Fort Jackson, Dave? Honestly, my wife would probably skin me if I suggested meeting a Jeep guy for a coffee/beer while we are there but if you are relatively close, it might be worth it! I'll be there in Mid January.
Bought a seat for the frame. Here is the seat I paid $30 for (plus $30 in gas to go get). It's a 76 Cherokee passenger side seat. Dude lives about 85 miles from me. Took me an hour 20 minutes to get there (left my house at 4:40 am). I hit the road toward work a couple minutes before 6am. it took me 3 hours to get back (about 95 miles to work) because it was across LA (perfect for catching ALLLL the traffic in the morning).

Pulled the top half off of the seat/cover and inspected. Pad looks pretty good. Not as nice as mine was but it's also not bad enough to cut off to swap mine on. No bad smells either, so the pad is getting re-used. I notice both the 76 pad and my 79 pad have a hole in the top at the same place, I assume for a head rest on the car that AMC sourced these pads from?

The seat release handle and linkage were identical so I pulled the two clips off the center and pulled the shaft out the left side. I inspected the rod and there were no signs or wear or weird bends so I stuck it in the right side and put the clips back on. Blammo! Drivers side folding seat back in about 5 minutes worth of work. I put some thin oil on all the areas where there is metal on metal and it works perfectly!

Lastly I pulled my seat cover out and put it through the wash. It looked pretty good before but it looks great now. You can't really tell there is much of a difference in the pictures but it looks much better in person. These seat covers are one of the things I love about my Jeep and one of the reasons I haven't driven it off the Port Hueneme pier at high speed. Anyway. here is the before and after of the seat cover.

I will have a chance to wrench a little bit this weekend and my son is going to help. I am going to work on my misfire and he is going to pull the seats and the current rubber floor we have in there out, then we will install the carpet, wash the other 3 front seat cover sections and put it all back together, together. I am pretty excited for that. I am pretty burned out on working on engine/electrical issues so it will be nice to see the changes a nice carpet and clean seats will make.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:00 PM
350 Buick

I can tell the seat fabric came really clean.
the material is in really good shape.

I like the twead type material
( don't know if that term is correct )

I always liked the patterns and stripes jeep used too,..

and thank goodness for the seat material and pattern

since it kept you from driving off the pier !!!

I think we all have felt like torching our old rides at sometime.

enjoyed the upholstery pics, hope y'all get a lot done this weekend.

P.S. I am right where I-95 & I-40 Intersect,...Benson NC 27504

now 80 and doing great,...My Daddy drove for Trailways bus lines for 3 decades and carried thousands of soldiers to fort Jackson.
I told him your daughter was there now and he reminded me of all the new recruits he has seen over the years.
he said the young recruits would get more and more quiet as they got closer to the military base !!!

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC

Last edited by SOLSAKS : 10-29-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:10 PM
350 Buick

Nice score Rang. What city did you drive to for the seat? Just curious. Rosamond? Nice to know you can make a PS seat fold for the DS. And your seat covers came out great! Mine would plug my washing machine drain. Lol.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:59 PM
232 I6

$25 bones for carpet! love it.. Nice job. Congrats to your daughter.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:26 PM
360 AMC

Quote:
I can tell the seat fabric came really clean.
the material is in really good shape.
I like the twead type material
( don't know if that term is correct )
I always liked the patterns and stripes jeep used too,..
and thank goodness for the seat material and pattern
since it kept you from driving off the pier !!!
I think we all have felt like torching our old rides at sometime.
enjoyed the upholstery pics, hope y'all get a lot done this weekend.
P.S. I am right where I-95 & I-40 Intersect,...Benson NC 27504
now 80 and doing great,...My Daddy drove for Trailways bus lines for 3 decades and carried thousands of soldiers to fort Jackson.
I told him your daughter was there now and he reminded me of all the new recruits he has seen over the years.
he said the young recruits would get more and more quiet as they got closer to the military base !!!
dave in NC
Copy that Dave! I'm going to start working on the Wife now, in hopes we can grab a coffee when I get there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
Nice score Rang. What city did you drive to for the seat? Just curious. Rosamond? Nice to know you can make a PS seat fold for the DS. And your seat covers came out great! Mine would plug my washing machine drain. Lol.
The Upland dude that parts out FSJs. I drove RIGHT by your shop on my way to work (went 134, to 5N, to 118) and was considering stopping but had a meeting and was worried I would be late. Now that I have all these, I'll be roadtripping to your place soon so I can give you your seat back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty76
$25 bones for carpet! love it.. Nice job. Congrats to your daughter.
Thanks!
My son got me sick so I couldn't really wrench this weekend. I was able to take my passenger seat apart and clean it. When I bought this rig, the previous owner had stored it for 20+ years with a plastic box on the passenger seat. In that plastic box were quarts of TL1 and gear oil. 20+ years in the hot/dry sun and they leaked. So my passenger seat looked like this:

To get a real understanding how nasty it was, look at it compared to my driver seat:

The bottom pad was completely saturated in oil and the seat frame super oiley, too.

So I took the covers off, sprayed them with an oil eater and let it sit Friday night. Then Saturday morning, I hooked my pressure washer to the hot water heater and pressure washed them with hot water. That got about 85% of the oil out, but none of the smell. So I let them dry, sprayed them with oil eater again, and brought them to a laundry mat. After washing them in the laundry mat, the back was clean and fresh and the bottom was about 95% clean but still had some gear oil smell. The wife said I could put my seat bottom in our washer on "Sanitary" wash which is SUPER hot and rinses for a long time. The good news it the seat bottom is clean and fresh, the bad news is much of stitching that holds the vinyl together has come apart. I don't think that is from the washing, I think it's from the oil and the detergents in the oil. But check them out! The back is perfect and done. Stoked on it. The bottom is going to have to go to an upholstery shop to be fixed and re-installed but it is clean and fresh, too. It looks darker but I think that is because it was covered and faded a little bit less than the driver seat bottom.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:40 PM
350 Buick

holy cow.

it is amazing what effort does,

they came out great.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 11-04-2019, 07:26 AM
350 Buick

Nice job. I don't think I would have attempted to clean them. Lol.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:09 AM
232 I6

Those cleaned up nicely! That almost makes it look/feel like it has brand new seats.
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 11-04-2019, 09:59 PM
350 Buick

There is “an Upland dude that parts out FSJ’s”??? !!! I need to know where this guy is!

I currently command a Reserve battalion in Upland on 7th.. Yes, I live in VA, work in PA, but the Army decided I needed to command in CA.. I am there at least once, often twice a month. I am sure I could put some parts in my luggage to get them back to the east coast..

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, Aussie rear, LDS front, 4.10s
http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD
Old 11-04-2019, 10:54 PM
304 AMC

Man, what an improvement on the seats! To bad you don't live closer... I know a guy with a TIG welder that would make quick work on that broken seat frame. Don't throw it away. Everything is fixable right?
Bummer on number 3 and that AMC pill made me laugh out loud.

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 11-05-2019, 10:52 AM
258 I6

Those seats look amazing! I cant believe how well they turned out, I love the old school pattern as well!

Soon to be a 401!
Old 11-05-2019, 03:02 PM
360 AMC

Quote:
holy cow.
it is amazing what effort does,
they came out great.
dave in NC
Thanks, Dave! I am super stoked on them, too! I am going to try to convince the wife to let me wrench this week so I can install them. I dropped the passenger seat at an upholstery shop this morning. He is going to replace all the vinyl and most of the pipeing for $200. Seems high but he has super high reviews in Yelp and google. The wife is going to be MMMMMAAADDDD when she finds out how much I am paying. I hope she doesn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
Nice job. I don't think I would have attempted to clean them. Lol.
Haha! I thought about that, too. But in the grand scheme of things, my driver seat and back seat are so nice and they match my door panels. I so love the pattern. I think it is worth it. If they had holes in the tweed or the oil completely stained it permanently, I would have done Scat seats or something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbinius
Those cleaned up nicely! That almost makes it look/feel like it has brand new seats.
Yep! In a nasty dirty old turd of a truck! LOL!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSwapMohn
There is “an Upland dude that parts out FSJ’s”??? !!! I need to know where this guy is!

I currently command a Reserve battalion in Upland on 7th.. Yes, I live in VA, work in PA, but the Army decided I needed to command in CA.. I am there at least once, often twice a month. I am sure I could put some parts in my luggage to get them back to the east coast..
Yep! If you search "Wagoneer" on Craigslist in SoCal he almost always has an ad up. His name is James. He usually has a picture of an army green Gladiator in the snow in his ads. He doesn't have a business doing this but he has a huge yard and a few sheds full of parts. He pretty much always has what I am looking for and (IMHO) he usually has good prices. I probably have 15-20 parts on my truck from him. If you don't find him on CL when you come out, PM me and I will send you his phone number. Honestly, I have never met him face to face. We always exchange info via text or call, then I end up picking them up either by proxy (like he was working in Huntington Beach and my brother lives there so he drops it off there), he ships it, or (like last week) I go so early in the morning, we miss each other.

Thank you for your service!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
Man, what an improvement on the seats! To bad you don't live closer... I know a guy with a TIG welder that would make quick work on that broken seat frame. Don't throw it away. Everything is fixable right?
Bummer on number 3 and that AMC pill made me laugh out loud.
HAHA!!! I was going to keep it but I kept looking at it and thought, I am NEVER going to fix this and I don't feel like finding a box to ship it to give it away so it went in the scrap metal pile. More on #3 below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoneer Taylor
Those seats look amazing! I cant believe how well they turned out, I love the old school pattern as well!
Same here. I really just was wanting to get the smell out. I figured they would always be dirty looking compared to the driver seat and the back seat but my truck is a turd so I didn't really care. I am SUPER stoked on them.
I stayed home from work sick yesterday and my son went to take his driving test. So I went out to my truck with a spare spark plug and the dizzy cap I cut open. There are only 3 easy parts to fix a misfire: plug, wire, or cap. If those didn't fix the misfire, I was scared maybe I flattened a lobe.

So cap swap was first because it was easiest. Fired it up, smooth idle! YES!!! it was a bad cap. I can spin #3s post about 8 degrees in it's socket. I bought a "good" brass terminal cap when I was doing battle with backfiring because it was supposed to be so much better than these tin terminal caps. Luckily it has a lifetime warranty so I will bring it back to McParts and exchange it. That turd was $25!

Wife and son got home from his driving test after I had tinkered for a little and the DMV had turned them away because her front tires are down to the wear bars! Bastards! I don't see this as a "oh, it's not safe because your tires are worn"; I see this as "You are bothering me by asking me to do my job so screw you and your bald tires". We are getting new tires on her car now but the next DMV appointment for a driving test is not until 22 November! I hate the DMV. I especially hate CA's DMV. There is no good reason why there should be a 2.5 week wait on driving tests.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:49 PM
304 AMC

Good to hear you figured out the misfire. A lot of parts really suck these days.

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box
Old 11-06-2019, 12:47 PM
258 I6

Sorry to hear you're sick, but got to work on the Jeep so lose/win haha

Great to hear the smooth idle!!

Soon to be a 401!
Old 11-08-2019, 02:04 PM
350 Buick

just read about the driving test/tires.

dang

some folks want to be jerks

but I hate it even worse when they are jerks to nice folks like y'all.

and especially when it is a new driver excited to get their licenses.

come on Nov. 22 !!!

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC