International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 02-25-2019, 09:45 PM
350 Buick

Al, Did you use Ceracote on both the speaker grill mesh and the "chrome" frame? Both look spectacular. The whole dang vehicle looks spectacular!Thanks
J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:15 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towtruck
Al, Did you use Ceracote on both the speaker grill mesh and the "chrome" frame? Both look spectacular. The whole dang vehicle looks spectacular!Thanks

I sprayed just the grill. I had to dig for the surround. Most are pitted and this one is starting to show signs. The neat thing about cerakote is the huge variety of colors they offer in air cure. I have used satin nickel and satin magnesium for sheens that resemble either zinc or some of the cast parts like the steering column shift indicator frame. Cerakote is a very thin product. It is sensitive to dirt and dust. So wiping the part down and getting it super clean is important.
I sure like it though. Especially since it is tough as nails.

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 02-26-2019, 10:14 PM
304 AMC

OK today was spent with my cousin in a nearby town. He generously devoted his day to helping me create a DXF file to get door panels made. Front and back base panels to build off of. Armed with a front and back door shell, the drawings I had made, and some SS rulers and a front and rear used panel minus vinyl I headed his way. The guy is a master. We laid everything out and measured and transferred it to the computer.

My drawings.

Working the details.

Eventually we came up with a product. The front door.

The back door almost done.

I have the completed files right here. Next step is to find someone in Spokane down south to laser or water jet out one of each. Test the fit on a door and make any adjustments to the files. Then burn another set, test fit them and then make several blanks for me to mess with. I have several ideas on embossing, chrome extrusion, and final details. Time to get these figured out. This is the last big challenge. I want something really nice looking. And durable. I will post my progress.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 02-27-2019, 06:37 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
I sprayed just the grill. I had to dig for the surround. Most are pitted and this one is starting to show signs. The neat thing about cerakote is the huge variety of colors they offer in air cure. I have used satin nickel and satin magnesium for sheens that resemble either zinc or some of the cast parts like the steering column shift indicator frame. Cerakote is a very thin product. It is sensitive to dirt and dust. So wiping the part down and getting it super clean is important.
I sure like it though. Especially since it is tough as nails.

Thanks for the info. Yes, the surround on my truck is showing signs of deterioration as well.
J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:58 PM
304 AMC

I have a wednesday appointment at the water jet company for these panel boards.
Things are going to be a little slow here till I have something. These panels are a huge process. I know what I want and now it is how do I get there.
I have both door panel styles vinyl embossing mapped out. I am going to be meeting with my cousin to convert them to a file a water jet can read. Using metal plate I intend to make full size stamps to reproduce the patterns in the door panels. It may be a huge success, it may not be. I may not know what I am doing here, but comma I will find a way...

Drawings of an X model door panel, and drawings of a base model door panel.
Depending on costs, I may only do the x model. Not sure yet.

I am ordering door sill embossed metal. Ordering pinch weld slip on black trim, and a few other small nit noids. I am really close to being done.

Happy Saturday.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 03-05-2019, 12:32 PM
304 AMC

Sure looking forward to tomorrow morning for the waterjetting of the base panels for the doors. For now I am trying to keep moving. 22 below yet again and it takes so long to warm the shop that I brought everything into our living room for work next to the woodstove. I have been trying to salvage cracked interior trim parts. I cleaned the repair areas well with naptha and carb cleaner then glued the cracks with gap filling CA glue. This will hold it together but I don't have much faith that it will keep it together later. So I dug out some bumper repair epoxy and applied it to the backside for some strength. Maybe the woodstove was a bit much. It started curing in about a minute before I was even done with the first fill. I worked faster the next time.

Bonds to problem plastics. I like it.... This is what I used. I have really good results with 3M and SEM products.

The group of cracks on each piece. I used a heat gun on low to reshape some of them. Poor storage and heat made some unwanted memories in the plastic.

The seat belt pocket falls and crushes the glued part. Then cracks it. I will try to secure them so they stay upright like they should.
No sooner than I applied this it cured hard. Good because I did not want it to sag to much. I put a second layer on. It should work..

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 03-07-2019, 12:34 AM
304 AMC

Just a quick follow up on todays water jetting experience. It worked so well and I am super pleased. Both patterns need some work to change a couple things. But after they are dialed in they will be just super to work with. Here is a back door panel. The front is out in the shop.

The original factory panel clip fits. I did order a box of new panel clips of two styles. Both should fit but I will find the best ones and post the part number.

I found a nice match to the door seals. I will get it here for a side by side comparison and post the part number. My X model wagoneer has a different door seal profile. I do not know if someone changed them somewhere along the way. But I ordered 50 feet of the same basic seal that Sadie has.

I have three black vinyl samples here totaling one square yard each. Some open cell foam and a gallon of glue. I have a lot of experimentation to do regarding embossing the vinyl. I will find something that works.

Today was long but very successful. I have a lot to work with.

I am going to be incognito for a little bit. I am heading for Seattle in about 12 hours. One of my high school friends dad passed away. I am staying at Bill's (Sadies owner) and we are heading over there for the get together to be with the old gang. His dads passing was unexpected. This guy is the person whom introduced me to the madness of Jeeps in 1980. No one can replace our parents.
I hope to be back very soon. I am eager to do all this work, but this is more important.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 03-07-2019 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:22 AM
350 Buick

More great work, wow !!!

can't wait to see your door panel work

we know it will be a feast for the eyes and for the mind.

no beating strong determination,...and skill.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 03-07-2019, 05:27 PM
327 Rambler

Hey Al,

I was trying to find the Pliobond on Amazon. There are several listed and the reviews are all over the place. What specifically have you recommend to us beginners?
Old 03-07-2019, 08:20 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ziebert
Hey Al,

I was trying to find the Pliobond on Amazon. There are several listed and the reviews are all over the place. What specifically have you recommend to us beginners?

Just got to Seattle. I brought my laptop. I saw the pliobond on amazon. I have never heard of the ruscoe company. The pliobond I have used was made by the Hanna company. Here is a link.

https://www.hannarubbercompany.com/adhesives/pliobond/

I used pliobond to shorten a military duece cargo cover for a long bed. I accidentally had it on backwards and cut the front out thinking I was working on the back end curtain.. I shortened it and put it on correctly. I had a 3 inch wide glue joint to reattach the end panel. For the 8 or so years I had the truck, that glue joint never failed and it was worked hard by freeway wind.
Gas proof, wind proof, oil proof. It is good stuff and if you saw bad reviews, I suspect it was not the real deal and or the product was used wrong. It does require 7 days for full strength.

A word of warning regarding amazon and ebay now. They are being flooded with fakes. Total replica products that are anything but genuine. I know Jeff Bezos could care less. Amazon has removed truthful and informative negative reviews three times now on a Baileigh bead roller I bought that had severe problems. It is a joke. Amazon knows a very high proportion of their products they sell are counterfeits. They do nothing about it.
So, don't buy from amazon if you can help it. Find pliobond made by the hanna company from a better source.

Ebay is having the same issues. I am still buying from ebay but I look very carefully. It must say genuine.

I hope this helps.
Dinners ready.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 03-08-2019, 12:10 PM
232 I6

Was going to say travel safe as I saw Seattle was still getting some snow and sleet. Sorry to hear that your visit to Bill is for a bit sad of a reason.

Thank you for the links to the products you have had good experience with, very helpful!
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 03-08-2019, 12:12 PM
327 Rambler

Good one Al,

I opened the link and found the Plioband. However there is no way to order it--add it to my cart, etc.
Sent them an email waiting for an answer

Z
Old 03-09-2019, 09:01 AM
350 Buick

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...hlight=cu4whln

Page 12 .. This is what I did to add extra strength to interior cracked parts... Used West System epoxy with 3/4 oz glass cloth. Learned this from my airplane stuff ....

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
1979 Chero: "Madness"
1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
2001 XJ : Driver 1998 XJ 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

"Madness" build here:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280
Old 03-09-2019, 11:28 AM
258 I6

Everything is looking great! Hope you enjoy your visit with old friends, sorry to hear of the loss that made you take the trip up there though.
88 GW
99 Wrangler
07 Dodge 3500
67 Chevy SWB
2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))
Old 03-09-2019, 11:32 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ziebert
Good one Al,

I opened the link and found the Plioband. However there is no way to order it--add it to my cart, etc.
Sent them an email waiting for an answer

Z

They emailed back and said to call they have too many times to list all on the on-line store
Old 03-09-2019, 12:08 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4whln
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...hlight=cu4whln

Page 12 .. This is what I did to add extra strength to interior cracked parts... Used West System epoxy with 3/4 oz glass cloth. Learned this from my airplane stuff ....

That is really good stuff. A lot of folks use polyester based resin and could benefit greatly from epoxy based resin. It is strong stuff. Thanks for the link.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 03-09-2019, 12:22 PM
304 AMC

I will be honest and say I am completely confused. I have been trying to find a connection regarding pliobond with the Ruscoe company and Hanna rubber company. They both have the same label and it appears to be the same product. Both companies are located in different states. I am not seeing the connection yet. So my comments on the Ruscoe company may not be valid.
I will stand firm on my comments regarding amazon fakes. But it may not apply here. The product is incredible. There is no doubt there for me. I need to pass on good information and may not have done so in my post up above.

Bill and I are headed to a large upholstery shop in a few minutes. I need some thinner open cell foam for the door panels. I need or wanted 1/8 thick and bought 1/4 the other day because they did not have 1/8th. Nothing like the big city for choices. Born and raised here. Glad I am a long ways away from it. To busy and crowded for me.

Thanks for the words. I will pass them on to my friend whom lost his dad. His name is Kevin. A fellow jeeper for sure. We go tomorrow. Then back home on Monday. I have door panels to build.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 03-09-2019, 05:48 PM
327 Rambler

Well crap search didn't work and I haven't got time to go back and read all of the post.
Do you remember if you used PC7 or PC 11 to fix the steering wheel. I am thinking 11 because in my little minds eye I saw it as white
Old 03-09-2019, 10:58 PM
230 Tornado

Pliobond

Here is a link to pliobond sold at aircraft spruce. Have used it lots in the aircraft repair business over the years. I see its not for sale in a lot of states. They do have a Cali compliant version for sale.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=5045

Dave
Old 03-10-2019, 01:48 PM
304 AMC

That is a neat company. I got the brake rivet press from aircraft spruce to rebuild the division bar for the front windows and vent frame. It was nice to find a quality made tool.

Frank it was white. Careful sanding as the wheel parent material is soft and can be over sanded. I taped the surrounding area till it was near level. Then blended it. Try not to get to much on it before curing. I am still in Seattle or I would go check for you. It was white though. My almost reliable (not really) memory wants to say PC 11.

Bill and I hit two different stores yesterday for several samples of thin foam. It's in the truck waiting for the trip home. I think I found what I need and bought enough for several door panels. I still need to make some metal embossing samples for pressing the vinyl. My mind is busy with it. Still looking for a cheap oven big enough for a front door stamp.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7