International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 06-28-2017, 03:14 PM
327 Rambler

Well from the looks of it, all the pictures just died. Marvelous.

So today was frustrating. All of it. I felt like I was really cruising and then blah. First I was trying to glue in that metal panel, and I apparently got distracted on the phone while I was looking at different adhesives and bought the totally wrong product. And I didn't notice until an hour after I'd clamped everything and the adhesive was still not just soft but wet. Wanna know what is strangely impossible to clean? Adhesive that doesn't actually seem to bond anything or dry ever. Friggin frack. I believe I have an appropriate product now that is supposed to bond metal and is urethane/waterproof when it's set.

Also, every time I look at the hood, I get more irritated with the specks. I put clear over the single stage hoping that it would give me something I could smooth out. But I think that effort was futile. Pretty certain I'm just going to have to abrade the whole thing and try again.

So I'm annoyed with myself today. Stepping away from the truck before I burn it to the ground. Going for a jog.

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...
Old 06-28-2017, 04:14 PM
327 Rambler

Update: the panel adhesive seems to have done the trick. Crazy what Using the right product will do to your probability of success... now to just figure out the paint situation...

Old 06-28-2017, 05:39 PM
327 Rambler

4forward and 3 back. But you're still at least 1 forward
Old 06-29-2017, 07:22 AM
350 Buick

Hang in there, it'll get better someday.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:20 AM
304 AMC

Stay with it Greg. This is what makes you good at it. Do you have a paint viscosity cup? One of the reasons for orange peel is too warm a temp, not enough reducer, wrong temp range reducer, to much distance to metal meaning not enough paint down, etc.
The paint should flow for just a few seconds leveling off the surface, and then gel. That allows the metal flake to orient and set. And for the no metal streaks go absolute full fan on the spray gun with 1/2 overlap on the next pass.

If you knew how many times this amateur had to redo a panel you would not feel so bad. I am doing the roof for the third time because of a couple sags coming from the indents. If I don't get it right this time I will have to sand off some of the paint. To much paint and it will chip off in huge pieces.

Take a break is the best thing. Your truck is coming out just great. This kind of stuff happens. And I have to redo my hood also. A fly landed in the very center and took a walk around. I was also light on the front edge. It orange peeled from not enough paint. So join the redo club.

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 06-29-2017, 04:13 PM
327 Rambler

Take a set of vitals!

I have painted 5 pickups and 4 wrangler type jeeps. All in the garage or driveway. Mistakes, bugs, dust, dirt--all that sh** happens. One of the best arguments for base and clear coat vs one stage lacquer. It just gives more freedom to fix errors. I found that in an attempt to reduces runs and sags I was not spraying enough paint on the surface and it orange peeled on me (once or twice). Like Al said medium coats with 50%overlap.

Hang in there.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:40 PM
232 I6

You need to switch to Imgur or Flickr... A build thread without pictures isn't much good.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:43 PM

The whole metal shard in the eye thing happened to my dad several years ago. He had to go to the doctor too. The doctor told him he had to wear an eye patch and he did until he got out of the parking lot. He said he "wasn't going to look like a lame pirate!" I am surprised something like this hasn't happened to me yet, I usually only wear my normal glasses when working on stuff. I try my best to be halfway safe though.
Jeep progress for me is halted right now, my grandmother is on a downhill slide health-wise, and is on hospice. All of her children and her husband and anyone else that can spends as much time with her as possible, so she is happy enough right now.

You'll get to that beautiful J-truck someday Greg! Can't wait to see it coming together.

Have a good one.
Ely

I'm a secondhand vegetarian- cows eat grass, I eat cows.

Have A Nice Day!
Old 07-10-2017, 10:02 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMadness
You need to switch to Imgur or Flickr... A build thread without pictures isn't much good.

Yes indeed. I'm planning on the exodus to flickr post haste. I'll have to go back and replace the broken links, as I think other people who've never restored a vehicle before might benefit from watching me bumble (sometimes successfully) through this build.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:03 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKWagoneer
The whole metal shard in the eye thing happened to my dad several years ago. He had to go to the doctor too. The doctor told him he had to wear an eye patch and he did until he got out of the parking lot. He said he "wasn't going to look like a lame pirate!" I am surprised something like this hasn't happened to me yet, I usually only wear my normal glasses when working on stuff. I try my best to be halfway safe though.
Jeep progress for me is halted right now, my grandmother is on a downhill slide health-wise, and is on hospice. All of her children and her husband and anyone else that can spends as much time with her as possible, so she is happy enough right now.

You'll get to that beautiful J-truck someday Greg! Can't wait to see it coming together.

Have a good one.
Ely

While I was in the ER, I purchased some 3M glasses that have a foam gasket around the eyes. They came in today and seem to be a pretty large improvement. A good $10/each investment!

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. These times are precious friend. Thoughts are with you and your family.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:31 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63J200atLSU
Yes indeed. I'm planning on the exodus to flickr post haste. I'll have to go back and replace the broken links, as I think other people who've never restored a vehicle before might benefit from watching me bumble (sometimes successfully) through this build.

I didn't comment before (I'm fairly quiet on here) but I thought it was an interesting build. Maybe because the stuff you're dealing with is in about as good of shape as mine... Either way, there is people that are watching and want to see.

Also, I'd always rather learn from the mistakes of another than by making them myself.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:53 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMadness
I didn't comment before (I'm fairly quiet on here) but I thought it was an interesting build. Maybe because the stuff you're dealing with is in about as good of shape as mine... Either way, there is people that are watching and want to see.

Also, I'd always rather learn from the mistakes of another than by making them myself.

Well. You are who I labor for. Seriously. I started this build literally knowing nothing. I've learned a TON of information from other threads (Al, Frank, I'm looking at you...) and in turn, just tried my best to uphold a certain standard of work. Thank you for commenting, I'll work to make sure I can SHOW (with or without Photo*%#$it's help) the work I'm attempting. Warts and all. Sometimes progress is slow. Sometimes it "seems" fast, but I'm encouraged to know that you're out there. More coming soon, I promise.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:51 AM
327 Rambler

Waiting on the next chapter.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:44 PM
327 Rambler

So I'm looking into imgur for image hosting. Unfortunately, for now, since I'm uploading things from mobile, I can't resize images. So bear with me as I present to you..... GIANT images.

Here's that rust repair I was talking about.

Cut it out, grafted in new metal and poof!

I'll figure out a way to resize these soon. I think the desktop version of imgur allows for it.

Last edited by 63J200atLSU : 07-17-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:50 PM
327 Rambler

now that's a close up!
Old 07-17-2017, 04:26 PM
327 Rambler

Ok, so I just discovered that I can resize the images on the desktop version of flickr, so hopefully this'll un-annoy some folks who previously hated my enormous last post...

Worked on the steering column and the wheel today. Steering column was pretty easy, just stripped it with a wire wheel, primed it, then used a red scotchbrite on it. Followed that with enamel gloss black high temp paint and an enamel clear. It came out really nice. We'll see how it holds up. Fortunately, it's not too hard to pull if I need to later, but I especially think that any part of the column inside the cab will be just fine. The clear in the engine bay may get cloudy with heat, but that's also not that big of a deal to me.

Steering column parts:

Yes, those are hoola hoops. My girlfriend, Elizabeth loves to hoola hoop. Also, I know my garage is filthy. It's because it is often subjected to about an inch of water... Not ideal.

Once again, really impressed with how good of a finish I was able to get with these enamel high temp rattle cans... We'll see how it holds up.

Steering wheel when I got the truck:

Steering wheel now:

I couldn't resist.

I've really tried to adopt the mindset of, "I don't have to make it perfect, I just have to make it BETTER." If everything comes out as good as these, then the truck will look just fine.

Thanks to Al (once again) for recommending SEM's vinyl/plastic paint for the steering wheel. It's not perfect, but that's because I'm sometimes an impatient sander, and well... it looked like crap when I got it. So it's leaps and bounds better than it was. Maybe I'll work on it some more in a few years... Time to get the rest of the truck painted and back together...

I'll hopefully get some more done on the cab this week, although it's supposed to rain every day, so that's not great.

More soon.

Last edited by 63J200atLSU : 07-17-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:44 PM
327 Rambler

Oh man! That last post reminded me that I'd completely forgotten to post about getting the fenders painted. I completely went through my spray gun (part of the problem is that I only have one gun so I have to use it for primer and color. I might get a cheapo HF gun for primer because that stuff is a bear to completely clean out after a long session...) and found that there was a bunch of primer stuck in parts of the gun that I hadn't previously realized that paint touched. So now I'm better at cleaning my gun. The fenders came out much better than the hood. Not perfect, but definitely good enough for who it's for.

Definitely some orange peel, but I think it looks ok. If I have paint left over after the cab, I might respray the driver fender. As of right now, it looks great from 10 feet...

Old 07-17-2017, 09:05 PM

Dang it, stop working so fast, Greg!

Lots of good progress. I am always happier when things start to take shape. Cleaning paint guns sucks. Buy another and save yourself some time, you'll be thankful!

Paint looks good. I have always liked a solid green color on trucks.

Ely

Have A Nice Day!
Old 07-17-2017, 09:10 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKWagoneer
Dang it, stop working so fast, Greg!

Lots of good progress. I am always happier when things start to take shape. Cleaning paint guns sucks. Buy another and save yourself some time, you'll be thankful!

Paint looks good. I have always liked a solid green color on trucks.

Ely

Haha, I don't feeeeel like I'm working fast, but I think a lot of that is that I know how busy my next semesters are going to be and I won't have time, so I'm trying to get things beyond the 2-3 hour projects range done while I can... it's starting to take shape though and I'm pretty excited!

Old 07-17-2017, 09:46 PM

Hey, any progress is good progress. For me school starts August 22nd or something like that, so I still have some time to try to get some longer time frame stuff done.
Keep that shiny green paint in mind and you'll be done soon enough!

Ely

Have A Nice Day!