International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 03-12-2017, 10:38 AM
350 Buick

Wow. It's darn near been a month since the last post. Not much to report other than having tcase problems. Looks like I'll be pulling that back out to crack the case open and peek inside.

Been busy with other projects at the shop but hope to get back on this Jeep next week. Just need more time and money. Lol!
Old 03-30-2017, 09:55 PM
350 Buick

So I got the tcase out. You know, the one with the MM part time kit with 16% OD. Turns out there was no PT kit in there at all. Lol. I ran the wrong oil, I ran it in 2WD with the hubs unlocked and basically killed the tcase.
asphaltrockdweller was kind enough to bring me a tcase with the PT kit but no OD at an absolute fantastic price! Thank you very much! I bought the gasket and seal kit from BJ's and proceeded to reseal the unit back up before installing. I can't drive it yet but initial testing shows that everything is working correct. I can't thank asphaltrockdweller enough!

So even though I haven't been keeping up with this thread doesn't mean we're not working on the rig. Nothing great to report really, but we've been doing small stuff like adding defrost ducting (it's more of a PIA than you'd think), differential breathers, tcase wiring for the idiot light, tranny wiring for the kick down, speedo cable, ebrake cables and more. Still got a lot to do but it's very close to streetable. I might actually go to AAA and see if I can get this rig off no-op tomorrow. If I have time that is. I can't wait to drive it for real and not worry about the non plates, tags etc.

The interior panels are still not in. I can do that later. I just bought mirrors for the mounts I bought from Ross and still need to address the fuel filler problem but I have a plan there. Need to get the rig driveable.

And I'm sure that once it's driveable, I'll see a whole new batch of issue I need to tend to.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:45 PM
350 Buick

Got the Jeep insured and registered today. Yay! First time since September 2008! And no smog!

Got the 3 piece slightly bent front bumper bolted on too. A bit of the PIA but what do you expect from "tweaked" stuff?

I still have a couple of wires hanging that doesn't make me feel comphy. Two of those are the dome lights. I think my plan is to get two cargo lights from JK's and install them. They turn on when you open the doors, turn on when you turn the knob but also turn on when you tap the lens. That's going to require two power wires but I can fix that pretty quick. And they'll be cheap. I should be driving this rig by next week I hope!
Old 04-02-2017, 11:27 AM
350 Buick

Hurry up already!
Drive it for a bit then stuff something strange in it's bay

Need any more parts for it? I'll be down in LA this week.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:03 PM
350 Buick

I know, right? I'm a slacker.

I can't think of anything right now. I have to deal with the dome lights and head liner again this week. I really don't want to pull the front down because of the sun roof but I might have to. I got the rear JK dome light installed yesterday but didn't put the head liner back in because we need to run a new wire. My head liner has seen better days, that's for sure.

Got anything that will speed the fuel filler problem along quicker? I really need to sit down and figure something out there. The main piece I need is the filler tube that holds the gas cap. The rest will have to be custom made.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:31 PM
350 Buick

Been doing a lot of small things to the Jeep lately. Finally got the mirrors in from Rock Auto today so we mounted them up. I decided to use Rivnuts instead of bolts and nuts. In doing this, we had to enlarge the holes in the gaskets to fit around the rivnut. Not too hard of a job. Also had to add the large hole in the center on the PS for the wires. Yes, I bought electric mirrors. Lol. I'll wire them up later.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:40 PM
350 Buick

Still have to hook up the wires to the kick down switch on the gas pedal, after we modify the bracket. Maybe tomorrow. The emergency drive wire was connected today and working like it should! Unlike the other tcase....
Now we're on to the wiper arms. The DS arm has a second arm that goes to a small pin, but are the two arms suppose to cross each other or stay parallel? The DS pivot has the pin at the top, making us cross the arms. Anyone know if this is correct?

Old 04-06-2017, 06:16 PM
out of order

Yes, looks correct to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
Now we're on to the wiper arms. The DS arm has a second arm that goes to a small pin, but are the two arms suppose to cross each other or stay parallel? The DS pivot has the pin at the top, making us cross the arms. Anyone know if this is correct?

Old 04-06-2017, 06:52 PM
350 Buick

Great! We'll put them on and see what happens. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2017, 07:30 AM
350 Buick

So this past weekend was the Big Mopar Spring Fling car show and I took both my Challenger and the Jeep to the show. I got to spend a few minutes talking Jeep to a few people so that was cool. This also gave me a chance to drive it around a little bit. Still shaking it down. I've learned since Friday that the gas gauge doesn't move. It's stuck on half tank. What really clued me in was when it ran out of gas pulling it up on the trailer. Lol. Gonna have to dig back into the gauges. Again. Those Speedhut gauges are looking better every day.

Last edited by bkilby : 04-10-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:53 AM
350 Buick

Man, I'm getting tired of not working on this Jeep. I need to pull the tcase and replace the front seals, just haven't had time. Maybe I'll come in Saturday and get er done.

Meanwhile, I've decided to look into swaping in a different engine and transmission. Anyone looking to buy the 360/400/Qtrac from this rig?
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=182635

Brad
Old 05-08-2017, 04:03 PM
232 I6

Wait till black friday and buy the speed hut... They are the bomb, have them in both the truck and the Kee. I got the white face ones in the truck and I dig them more than the traditional black.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:20 PM
350 Buick

AMC 360 is sold. Stay tuned for a Hemi swap.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:02 PM
360 AMC

Quote:
AMC 360 is sold. Stay tuned for a Hemi swap.

We are staying tuned for the Hemi swap!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 05-18-2017, 07:16 AM
350 Buick

Lol. I'll post something up when I have a clear direction that we're going in. The engine is sitting between the frame rails but it has to come back out and the heater box removed. I was hoping it would fit, but no. Once we get the heater out of the way, I need to test fit again to see if the motor mounts I bought are going to work correctly or not.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:53 AM
350 Buick

So we've been tinkering with the Hemi swap and think we've come up with a solution to get this thing in. I don't have a tcase yet but should be picking one up this morning. I hope it fits without having to clock it.

Anyhow, I wanted to keep the factory brackets for the engine mounts attached to the frame and adapt to them. I knew Thompson Offroad had mounts for a Chevy LS engine and I already knew the LS and Hemi blocks were extremely similar in bolt pattern and location so I used LS motor mounts from them. Yes they fit. However, I changed the "log" style exhaust manifolds to the higher flowing SRT8 GC manifolds and created a small interference problem. Being these hang a little lower, they were now super close to the frame side of the engine mounts. So, I made a 1/4" spacer to go under the mount on the frame side and another 1/4" spacer to go between the block and bracket. I think this should work but until I get a tcase installed and a crossmember made, we won't know for sure. I also cut a nub off the manifold to help clear the frame.

Things I noticed right away:
Heater box is in the way
Steering column shift linkage won't be usable. (unless I find a way to modify it)
The engine fan is only 1" larger in diameter than the AMC fan
The Hemi and 545RFE trans is about 1.5" shorter than the AMC/400 combo. Could be because of the serpentine belt I had on the AMC.
Gonna have to swap to Hydroboost I think. This engine is WIDE.

More later.

Removing that nub for clearance.

Passenger side motor mount.

Driver side motor mount. You can see the grind marks on the manifold where I ground the nub off. It was hitting the frame. This is before the 1/4" spacers.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:12 AM
360 AMC

Quote:
Removing that nub for clearance.

Any idea what that nub was for? Maybe a heat shield on some applications?
Old 05-25-2017, 01:39 PM
350 Buick

Yeah, heat shield. There's 3 more to hold it on.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:37 AM
350 Buick

Well yesterday didn't go as planned. We drove 30 miles to a shop that specializes in transfer cases only have him show me one that had a hole in the rear case, a couple of broken studs in the front case and the front case had other damage. This, after 2 weeks of communications as to my requirements.

So, we drove off to another specialty shop that we talked to last week who said he could put us one together (for twice the price) in a day or so. I asked to see the case and now they can't find the rear half. He hands me the front half so we can get our mockup done but it's for a Chevy. I tell him it's not the same bolt pattern and he says " I can build these in the dark. It'll fit." So I borrow the front half for a test fit and guess what. It doesn't fit. Lol.

I called a tcase shop in NorCal and talked to a guy that said he can build one in a day and ship it. I'm waiting to hear back from him on input gear dimensions before I order. Problem is, I was hoping to have one by today so I can get the rear cross member either modified or build a new one this weekend.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:18 AM
360 AMC

Quote:
... I tell him it's not the same bolt pattern and he says " I can build these in the dark. It'll fit." So I borrow the front half for a test fit and guess what. It doesn't fit. Lol.

Wow! Did you call him back and let him know that he needs better light when he builds these? I bet you were ready to throw that case half at the guy! Haha! hopefully he hooks you up with something for wasting your time.

Good luck with the next one! I am surprised its that hard to find a case that works.