International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 08-13-2019, 08:45 PM
327 Rambler

The progress...

Ok, so we've had a lot of crazy stuff going on in our family, so I've gotten moments here and there to work on the truck, but definitely not enough to post anything about it, so I'm going to do just kind of a photo dump and describe what we're looking at here...

I know it's tough to tell what the heck you're looking at in this one, but these are the side pieces that hold the bed side pieces on. I added gussets on the top corners to make them sturdier. All the welding I've ended up doing really REALLY makes me want a TIG machine. #lifegoals

Here's the plywood I'm using for the floor of the bed. I used untreated plywood so I wouldn't have to worry about the chemicals corroding the metal around them or the screws. Two coats of spar poly later, and I should have a pretty good moisture barrier, especially considering that this truck will rarely (if ever) see rain and it's also going to be covered.

Here's a picture of the bed side with the side pieces mounted to it and also that promised angled piece! It really completes the thriftside look of the bed sides. I'm diggin it.

Some more pictures of the bed with the sides attached. Looks like it's missing something...

THE CLOSEST I'VE COME TO HAVING A FINISHED TRUCK!!! AAH! The light at the end of the tunnel is growing brighter.

I've caught a lot of flack for my idea of a wooden bed. One of the folks on facebook was kind enough to point out that my bed would look better on a Willys... Thanks guy. Sarcasm intended. Truly, I don't give a rat's arse what anybody thinks about it, haha! I think it looks great, it's just functional enough, I can take it apart in 20 minutes if I have to and replace anything that needs replacing relatively easily. So there.

Here's some more pictures of the truck with the fenders on.

Also, here's the wood in it's current state with two coats of tung oil on it. I really like how it made the grain pop and it's super easy to keep up.

I'm getting all these little bits put back together before they all go back on the bed. Then I've got to make the bed skirts. Trying to figure out a way to mount those to something really sturdy like angle iron to that they don't flex too much driving down the road. So far, gussets have been my answer to things like this. I do not like welding gussets.

I'll post more soon. Next up after the bed is to try and finally tackle the leaks from the engine. I've had enough of this truck marking his territory everywhere he goes. My fiance has had enough too... I'm pretty sure I just goofed up something with the oil pan gasket... Then it's rims and tires and then this truck gets to drive me and my soon to be bride away from our wedding!

Winter project is the A/C unit I've got and I also want to source and install an overdrive setup. I'd really like to be able to drive this truck down the road to my parents' once in a while.

BTW, anybody with an old Tornado who has an opportunity to get a power steering (technically a power assisted steering setup), DO IT! I'd heard mixed reviews about them, but holy cow is it an upgrade. I was literally getting flashbacks of swimmer's shoulder from high school prior to getting this done on the truck. The system works great, just took a little figuring for the mounting bracket for the ram piston and the hoses (ended up getting them from a hydraulic's supply shop for $35/each, WHAT?!

Ok, gotta run. More soon.

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...
Old 08-13-2019, 09:40 PM
304 AMC

The bed looks great! Your truck your rules.... And always remember, facebook is bad.... And I mean that.
Looks like you are making progress. Post up on the AC install and maybe even a wedding pic.

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 08-13-2019, 11:27 PM
360 AMC

I agree with Kaiser jeeps; your bed looks great! I think the wood and the green look amazing together.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 08-14-2019, 08:12 AM
327 Rambler

About time! Was wondering where you were. Good job on the truck!
Old 08-14-2019, 10:39 PM
232 I6

I love the box! Looks Fantastic!
1968 Jeep Gladiator J-3000 327 Vigilante V8, currently overhauling it, T-18 transmission, Dana 20 Transfer Case (will get a rebuild+twin stick), Dana 44 full float in the front and semi float 53 in the rear. 4.09 axles
1972 GMC 1500 basket-case (300$ buy )
Old 08-15-2019, 08:08 AM
360 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63J200atLSU
...I've caught a lot of flack for my idea of a wooden bed. One of the folks on facebook was kind enough to point out that my bed would look better on a Willys... Thanks guy. Sarcasm intended. ...

I'm sorry, those dudes on facebook are smoking crack, that is amazing looking. Once you have the wheels/tires on, it's going next level.

I've come back to these pictures like 6 times in the last 24 hours. So nice looking!
Old 09-30-2019, 07:11 AM
327 Rambler

I swear, I'm still working on this...

So we're in the final 60 day countdown to the wedding. Life has been a little hectic. I think I may have mentioned it here, but the truck is our getaway vehicle, so somehow, miraculously, I've been given the green light to spend some serious time getting this ole guy prepped and ready.

About two months ago, I messaged a guy on fb about some old rims he had, he seemed standup enough at first, then after about 3 weeks went by and he still hadn't gotten them shipped, he stopped returning messages. It ended up taking another FSJ friend of mine who lives near him going and getting them and packing them on a pallet for fastenal... What a pain. And when the rims got to me, one of them had a cracked lugnut hole. One of my first questions to the seller was, "Can you sell me three of these?" and he was adamant that he couldn't break up the set. What a jerk.

Anyway, I digress. Elizabeth's dad found a sand blast cabinet in the free section of craigslist, but its light was completely dead. The ballast was dead. The switch was dead, the bulb was dead. So I looked around and saw that a lot of people were taking little flood light mounts and installing them in the cabinets, so that's what I did. plenty of room in there for the rim and I waste so much less sand now. I also got a chance to put my craigslist powdercoat oven to use. I'm a fan of powdercoating now.

Speaking of powdercoating, Toddthewelder was the one who originally turned me on to the idea of powdercoating the rims. Has anybody heard from him lately? I know he was pretty busy travelling around, but he seems like such a cool guy and he's been seriously helpful in the process of this project. Todd, if you're out there, hit me up.

Long story short, got the bugs worked out and got the first one done. Cannot wait to get all five done and get the tires mounted on this thing. It'll also help me identify if it's the tires that have been causing the vibration or if it's an unbalanced driveshaft. I'm predicting a much better ride. More soon.

Before.

After. Not perfect, but pretty dang close, and possibly too nice looking for the rest of the truck, lol...

Old 09-30-2019, 07:28 AM
350 Buick

Nice job. It looks great. Did you post these on FB too? I've seen the pics but it wasn't here.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:40 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
Nice job. It looks great. Did you post these on FB too? I've seen the pics but it wasn't here.

Ya, I'm Greg, one and the same. Hit me up here or there any time!

Old 09-30-2019, 09:26 AM
350 Buick

nothing like freshly blasted and painted metal,...

especially with gloss white.

great job.

good luck on the wedding and the after wedding getaway ride.....

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 09-30-2019, 01:46 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
nothing like freshly blasted and painted metal,...

especially with gloss white.

great job.

good luck on the wedding and the after wedding getaway ride.....

dave in NC

Thanks Dave!

Old 10-01-2019, 03:20 PM
258 I6

I didnt know we had another person using a FSJ as a getaway vehicle!!! My now wife and I did the same with our 77 Wagoneer! We loved it and so did everyone else at the wedding. 1 year ago 9/23 we drove away in ours, can't wait to see pics of yours on the day! Congrats man your close!

Also who cares what other people (especially on FB) say we all build our cars and Jeeps the way we want them! And even though you shouldnt care what i think, I think the wood bed looks boss on your rig.

Also digging the powder coated steelies. Keep posting bud!

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
Soon to be a 401!
Old 10-01-2019, 07:41 PM
304 AMC

Pretty nice looking wheel Greg. Now I get the clip thing from your question in my build thread. I put a semi detailed answer there for you on hubcaps and wheels. I have never seen clips through a rim like that. Great price on the blasting cabinet.. Learn about the different media's and please protect yourself from breathing silica.

So you are about to get married!! I thought you already had... So cool and it sounds like things are going really well for you both. Never stop talking to each other and do what ever it takes to make your marriage thrive and grow. I sure hope you post up a departure in the truck pic.

Todd has been incognito. Not sure what he is doing, but hope he is well and getting some FSJ time in.

On your vibration, check to see if your rear driveline U-joints are withing 1 degree of each other. Despite using all new original parts, Sadie was 8.3 degrees out. (terrible vibration driving)

Have a good one!

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 10-23-2019, 08:24 AM
327 Rambler

NEW RIMS/TIRES/HUBCAPS

So very stoked to finally be able to post this. Finally got all my rims done and had my radials mounted on them. The tires are Nankang M889's in a 235/85R16. Next set I get, I might go with the American-made buckshot, which is a nearly identical tire, albeit with a thicker sidewall. I'd heard really good things about these and also really liked the tread pattern, definitely has more of an old-school look.

I could not find an acceptable set of front hubcaps for the Kaiser-era trucks. I had two with the holes cut out, but they were AMC era which meant that the hubcap itself was too small and the hole was too small to accommodate Warn Lock-O-Matic front hubs on this truck. Someone on the FB page recommended wheel spacers. I generally am opposed to spacers on daily drivers, but for a vehicle which is driven as infrequently (and small distances) as this, I think it's probably fine. These push the rim out just far enough that a normal dog dish can cover the locking hub in the front. I had two NOS hubcaps and two which were in pretty good shape, but needed to be repainted. For anybody interested in the colors I used, it was Model Master International Orange and Testors Metallic Gold. The gold is not quite an exact match, but it's pretty close and the orange is almost identical. At any rate, I put both of the NOS hubcaps on one side of the truck and both of the repainted ones on the other, so nobody will ever see both shades of gold at the same time. Problem solved.

The tires REALLY helped the look of the truck. The spacers also pushed the tires further out and gave it a little more "filled out" stance, which I am a fan of.

Here's the truck with the wheels/tires (and then hubcaps) first mounted. The truck is pretty dirty...

Then after the bath.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with how that came out. The truck also rides MUCH better under 50mph, which is where I do most of my driving. I still have a wobble that starts up around 55, and I can't feel it in the steering wheel, but in the shifter, which tells me it's probably either a driveshaft out of balance or the driveshaft u-joint angle that Al mentioned. I also know that installing the driveshaft was one of the FIRST things I did on this truck, so I might want to go back and double check my work, as my learning curve has been pretty steep...

Currently, the truck is sidelined with a fuel filler hose that's cracked. I had the style from BJ's that I believe typically went with the townside bed, it was the "S" shaped one, and I had cut it down to where I needed. With the bed on, I needed to revisit that anyway, so I got all my necessary pieces parts from fillernecksupply.com. I should be able to get that done this weekend and I had better! This truck needs to go pick up its first pumpkin...

I also have all of the pieces either in my possession or on the way to construct the bed skirts, bulkhead, which I'm reinforcing pretty heavily, in case I want to mount a spare tire to it (spoiler alert, I do) and the tailgate. After I get that all mocked up, I'll pull the wooden sides off one last time and rhino-line (it's actually the upol raptor liner kit) the bulkhead and floor of the bed and do one final installation. I have a pretty cool surprise in store for the tailgate. I think y'all will be pleased. More soon.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:33 AM
350 Buick

very nice truck

it will get a lot of looks,..

especially from folks with new 60 grand trucks

who wish theirs was as cool as yours !

it will look great with a bed full of pumpkins.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 10-23-2019, 08:47 AM
258 I6

Can not tell you how jealous I am!!
Your truck looks amazing and all the work you did really shows it is spectacular!
Looking forward to your pumpkin pictures, now go show that thing off!

Side note, I just visited fillernecksupply and they have great stuff! Thanks for mentioning that.

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
Soon to be a 401!
Old 10-23-2019, 12:10 PM
360 AMC

SSOOOoooo awesome! This truck is amazing! Good you on you! Wow! I soooo love the bed.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:20 PM
258 I6

I have been trying to follow this thread but had fallen a bit behind. It's really kind of a shame I didn't keep up. I may have decided to go a completely different direction and done a bed just like yours. Good job on that!
Old 10-23-2019, 04:03 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyolman
I have been trying to follow this thread but had fallen a bit behind. It's really kind of a shame I didn't keep up. I may have decided to go a completely different direction and done a bed just like yours. Good job on that!

Man, I just read through your truck bed saga. That kind of stuff makes me want to pull my hair out. If you ever feel like building a bed like mine, I've got a solidworks assembly file for it!

Old 10-23-2019, 08:22 PM
232 I6

Looks great. The tires definitely give it a cool old school stance. Keep the pics coming, can't wait to see it done.