International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 02-26-2016, 06:26 PM
327 Rambler

1963 J-200 SLOOOOOW Build

So.
Posted an ad in CL in December looking for an old truck that someone wanted gone, got a call from a guy down the road asking if I was interested in this ole feller. Body is super rough, bed and fuel tank were missing, but the engine was "supposedly" internally sound, and the guy selling it seemed pretty trustworthy with little or nothing to gain by conning me... Picked it up, non-running, for $600 Got it back home and started seeing what I had. After some investigating, found that the graphite distributor "button" was pretty bad, replaced the distributor cap, adjusted the valves and hooked up a battery and, as of 2/24, the ole Tornado 230 will crank up! Quite a wonderful moment as I've never brought an old engine back to life...

His name is Walter. He shall be magnificent. He will most certainly confound me at times. I already love this dang truck.

It's gonna be a slow, VERY SLOW, resto-mod build. Going to try to do as much of the work as I can myself, and I'm also back in school full time at LSU for mechanical engineering (practical application of thermodynamics, whaaaaaaaaaat?!). I know a lot of guys on here are all about original specs, but I figure this truck's purpose at this point is to simply be enjoyed. So here's what I have planned:

Body work: the truck may end up being a rolling bondo container, but I want to do the patches on the body with fiberglass and bondo. I know many of you will take issue with this, and you can throw things at me through the internet. I like the idea of welding patch panels in, but I don't have a welder, don't know how to weld (although I suspect this will change the longer I own the truck) and I'm convinced I can be patient enough to do a good job with bondo-glass patches.

The floor pans are nasty. The passenger side floor pan is actually made from a "repurposed" road sign, which in all truthfulness is probably a pretty sturdy material for a floor pan. Gonna have to cut them out though, and fabricate my own and either weld (there's that w-word again) or rivet them to the existing good metal, then seal the seams and paint em up.

As of now, I'm planning on doing a metallic forest green on the outside, painting the interior metal the same color and redoing the dash some form of tan and redoing/reupholstering the interior in tan with tan custom carpets too. Did I mention there's going to be some trial and error in this?

The most glaring deficiency of this truck is its obvious lack of a bed. My girlfriend laughs at me because I told her I wanted a pickup truck. She says that I bought a truck that is incapable of doing literally the only thing that is exclusive to pickups. She may be on to something. The plan, as of now, is to pick up a fleetside bed in decent shape and cut the sides off, keeping the front and floor of it, then using wood for the sides and using Jeep fenders. The guy I bought it from had built a similar bed for a 1950 Willys pickup and I loved it. Here are some pictures. I'll try and keep this pretty updated, both for the sake of posting something I consider interesting and also so I'll document the whole process. Feel free to let me know how you feel about it. Any and all suggestions may or may not be ignored.

First got it home:

Walter (the truck) and Tuck (the old pup)

This would be the experiment in sanding/priming/chrome painting... Came out better than expected!

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...
Old 02-26-2016, 07:44 PM
258 I6

That's a cool truck, look forward to how this plays out. You need to get a mig welder and learn how to use it, you don't have to go get a Lincoln or a miller to do what you need, eastwood has a good one that comes with an aluminum spool gun for $499, spend another $100 on a bottle of 75/25 shielding gas and you are good to go. http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-...spool-gun.html
88 GW
99 Wrangler
07 Dodge 3500
67 Chevy SWB
2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))
Old 02-27-2016, 09:29 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddthewelder
That's a cool truck, look forward to how this plays out. You need to get a mig welder and learn how to use it, you don't have to go get a Lincoln or a miller to do what you need, eastwood has a good one that comes with an aluminum spool gun for $499, spend another $100 on a bottle of 75/25 shielding gas and you are good to go. http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-...spool-gun.html

Thanks Todd! I also look forward to how this plays out. It really is just going to be a "go to town and Home Depot" kinda truck, no heavy lifting required. I really just love old tech and this jeep is kinda perfect for that! I'll definitely give the welder some consideration, something might pop up on CL or I might have a friend whose uncle has one he's not using or something... My arm might be twisted.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:54 AM
350 Buick

Looks pretty bad over the windshield. How is it really?

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:22 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
Looks pretty bad over the windshield. How is it really?

Still not 100% sure what I'm going to find there once I start clearing that out. Honestly, what's showing up in pictures is some kind of sealant that somebody tried to put presumably to seal the windshield. That's worrisome in its own rite... Will keep this thread updated with all my discoveries, good and heartbreaking, as they come up. Crossing fingers.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:33 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63J200atLSU
Thanks Todd! I also look forward to how this plays out. It really is just going to be a "go to town and Home Depot" kinda truck, no heavy lifting required. I really just love old tech and this jeep is kinda perfect for that! I'll definitely give the welder some consideration, something might pop up on CL or I might have a friend whose uncle has one he's not using or something... My arm might be twisted.

If you work with your hands you can never go wrong buying tools
88 GW
99 Wrangler
07 Dodge 3500
67 Chevy SWB
Old 02-27-2016, 06:47 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddthewelder
If you work with your hands you can never go wrong buying tools

There you go talking all that reason, Todd. It'll probably happen. Gah. My lady is going to kill me.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:53 PM
327 Rambler

UPDATE!!! Huge day for the ole truck!

So this week, Walter (my J200's given name) fired up, I posted that in the preliminary paragraph... Today, I put new fuel lines in and ran em to a makeshift tank and also reinstalled the driveshaft. (Question, probably a dumb one: does the slip yoke go on towards the transfer case or the rear axle? I installed it with the slip yoke to the rear, but it occurred to me that would leave it exposed to more potentially damaging things...)

Anyway, the news. Walter moved into the carport under his own power! So that's a huge hurdle. Would've taken him around the block, but seeing as how the brake lines aren't hooked up, that seemed exceedingly perilous...

More to come!

Old 02-27-2016, 09:28 PM
258 I6

Quote:
There you go talking all that reason, Todd. It'll probably happen. Gah. My lady is going to kill me.
LoL! my brother says that to me a lot. slip yoke goes forward
88 GW
99 Wrangler
07 Dodge 3500
67 Chevy SWB
Old 07-22-2016, 06:25 AM
327 Rambler

Welp... Summer school's over. Sad to say, but differential equations was the part of my mechanical engineering degree that helped me out in literally zero ways when it comes to bringin this old guy back to life. I've also been receiving a daily dose of shame and humility reading Kaiserjeeps' build thread, so it's about time these floors get done I think.

Also in the works for ten very near future are a speedo cable install (does anybody know where this is routed on the older trucks?) aaaaaaaaaaand

Took a little bit of a risk on an eBay auction that I found. Had been looking for a 2bbl setup for the tornado, the carbs and their parts are in plentiful supply, but the manifolds are very very scarce. Found an auction for three allegedly complete Holley 2300's but all three in need of some serious work BUT a 230 2bbl intake manifold was also included with them. So I'm also going to have that little rejuvenation project running in the background. I've heard it makes a huge difference with the 2300 instead of the single barrel 1920. At any rate, the carbs looked rough in the auction but I'm crossing my fingers. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

More soon!

Last edited by 63J200atLSU : 07-23-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:04 AM
350 Buick

If nothing else you get the much needed intake manifold. The carbs can be rebuilt. Looking forward to seeing more progress with yoir build.
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmcfvYSDdeFJ-NHY1MA_9Iw
Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174925
Old 07-22-2016, 07:29 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
If nothing else you get the much needed intake manifold. The carbs can be rebuilt. Looking forward to seeing more progress with yoir build.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the 2300 had a pretty wide range of applications and they're easy enough to find, but the scarcity of the tornado with the 2bbl setup makes those manifolds near impossible to find. My plan for now is to really clean up and rebuild all three carbs and sell the two I'm not using. Figure that should pretty much cover the cost of the auction price plus the three rebuild kits while still giving someone a good price on a rebuilt carb.

I too am looking forward to seeing some more progress on this truck... It's just been looking at me every day like, "Uhhhhhhhh, pretty sure you're not finished here."

Old 07-22-2016, 07:45 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
I too am looking forward to seeing some more progress on this truck... It's just been looking at me every day like, "Uhhhhhhhh, pretty sure you're not finished here."

LOL, I know the feeling!
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmcfvYSDdeFJ-NHY1MA_9Iw
Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174925
Old 07-23-2016, 04:14 PM
327 Rambler

The floors are starting to be floors

Got about 80% of the floors done today, I've still got to make a template and cut out/weld in the piece all the way up under the pedals, was trying to knock out the larger sections first, although I think if I were to do it again, I'd to all the edges first so I could have nice square/straight pieces to put in last... Anyway, I'm whooped for the day. I'm pretty awful/slow at this welding business, but the floor seems way more sturdy than the crap I cut out. Really looking forward to getting this phase done, it's rapidly approaching being driveable.

Also, for anyone interested in just how ridiculous I am, and just so no one thinks I'm mistaking this for some speed demon, I did this today. Not sure if it'll stay, but I got quite a laugh out of it...

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/gr...f92ya.mp4.html

More soon, hopefully.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
. It's just been looking at me every day like, "Uhhhhhhhh, pretty sure you're not finished here."
Ha, get used to it...it'll never be completely done. I've got a 47 45 inch flattie HD that I've had for over 20 years that was in the middle of it's 3rd reconfiguration(still is) when I got medically retired. It's moved on from "you whoo uhhhhhh, we're not done here" to yelling "YOU WHOO UHHHHH HEY CHUMP WE'RE NOT DONE HERE! In time you learn to ignore guilt and prioritize.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:17 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Ha, get used to it...it'll never be completely done. I've got a 47 45 inch flattie HD that I've had for over 20 years that was in the middle of it's 3rd reconfiguration(still is) when I got medically retired. It's moved on from "you whoo uhhhhhh, we're not done here" to yelling "YOU WHOO UHHHHH HEY CHUMP WE'RE NOT DONE HERE! In time you learn to ignore guilt and prioritize.

I know what you mean Joe! I've found that I mainly have to look for when my lady is completely exhausted by my tinkering and fixing things and then go do something useful like cut the grass or fix something in the house instead of on the truck. She's a patient one, but we've all got our limits, and as cool as my truck is (to me) I'd rather have her in my life than it...