• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeep cj
    232 I6
    • Apr 06, 2002

Reading VIN# on Kaiser Jeep ?

Picked up Jeep Wagoneer at my uncle's salvage yard today. (intact except for motor & trans.-good shape too-surface rust-no dents) Does anyone know how to read the VIN# on these. I'm trying to find out year & motor. It was built by Kaiser-figure that puts it between 62 & 70. Need to know so I can find the title (you oughtta see my uncle's filing system! ) He says the old wagon's been there since the seventies. Only ever sold the motor & trans. He forgot he even had it-never know what you'll find tucked away in a salvage yard. It was free too!
    Any help anyone can give would help. Thanks!!
    86 Grand Wagoneer-192,000 & still going!!<br />88 Grand Wagoneer-my trail rig!!<br />81 CJ5-runs when it wants to!!<br />78 CJ7-keeps AutoZone in business!!<br />01 Wrangler <br />87 Grand Wagoneer-Newest Wag
  • Joe J-Truck
    304 AMC
    • Oct 05, 2001

What is the VIN? (Check the plate on the inside of the driver's door A-pillar) I see you're looking for a j10, come to NM, and I'll give you a really stripped down one for free!

Comment

• jeep cj
      232 I6
      • Apr 06, 2002

I'll have to get VIN in a.m. Truck is out in the back forty. How stripped is J-10. My dad lives in Albuquerque-he could use parts for his. [img]smile.gif[/img]
      86 Grand Wagoneer-192,000 & still going!!<br />88 Grand Wagoneer-my trail rig!!<br />81 CJ5-runs when it wants to!!<br />78 CJ7-keeps AutoZone in business!!<br />01 Wrangler <br />87 Grand Wagoneer-Newest Wag

Comment

• porkchop
        Master of B.S.
        • Apr 17, 2000

Here you go. There are a couple of different ones you can look at, I am sure that you can find the answer in the list somewhere VIN Decoding

[ May 19, 2002: Message edited by: porkchop ]</p>

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jeep cj:
          Picked up Jeep Wagoneer at my uncle's salvage yard today. (intact except for motor & trans.-good shape too-surface rust-no dents) Does anyone know how to read the VIN# on these. I'm trying to find out year & motor. <hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately the Kaiser era(pre-72) FSJ don't have a model year in the VIN. That didn't start till 1972. The best way to tell is the title and what model year it was registared at, second best indicator is the eng ID code which includes when the motor was built. That would at least get you in the right era via the motors used. Since you have neither it's a crap shoot you'll just have to slowly go by stuff like they type of BU lights, type of grill, steering units, brake units etc. Those are just era indicators though.
          Most obvious era daters are if it has IFS...that was only a 62-65 option. If it was V8 equipped it's a late 65 or later. If it has a single speed D21 x-case it's a 62-65. The small narrow grill changed in mid 66 to the wide full width grill.
          The only other build dates I'm aware of besides the motor ID codes is a build date stamped on the ring gear of the Dana rear axle. That will only tell you when the axle was built though and not how long it sat in a warehouse etc before it was actually installed on the assembly line but it should get you pretty close to the model year.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

Working...
          X