International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > FSJ-PRIS

Old 04-18-2019, 08:05 PM
232 I6

I've been working on The tailgate for a week now and think I'm actually going to be able to make this thing work so I decided to share my little experience so far.

If you have been following you know I got a beat up old tailgate at Pick N pull about a week and a half ago. I brought it to work where I sometimes get a bit of free time to work on things and have been working on getting it sorted out.

I began by beating...or rather Un-beating the crap out of the center panel to get it fairly straight. Once I got that to a point that was close to acceptable I set to work opening up the top and bottom seams

My method is pretty simple, I use a drill bit about the same size as spot welds and drill into the weld until I'm just about through then take a home made skin spoon, which is a sheet metal tool used to separate 2 overlapping skins. Mine are made out of the blades of some antique table knifes, they are very good steel and work quite well and are even capable of being used as a kind of chisel to chisel at the bit of weld that is still holding to break it loose.

I needed to open the seams up to take care of rust in between them but while I was there I decided I may as well see about beating out the dents. So I used a piece of square tubing to wedge seam open and used the handle of a hammer as a punch to beat the dents out. Here are a before and after pic

and the after

It's not absolutely perfect but it won't take very much bondo to make it look pretty nice.

The bottom has some inserts which are the pivot points for the hinges. When I looked at the spot welds holding these inserts in I noticed they looked funny, almost like stainless steel, which I thought was odd. Then I tried to drill them out and knew I was dealing with stainless steel welds because they were so hard I couldn't drill them. To remove them I wound up using a die grinder with a rotary file and sure enough the inserts are stainless steel.

With those out the next step was to cut the AMC tailgate down to the Kaiser gate dimensions. To do this I took the old tailgate off my truck, which was a big issue since I had to actually clean out the back but I did it. Then I made paper patterns of the front and back, taped them onto the AMC gate and drew the cut lines. I then proceeded to cut the tailgate down with a cutoff wheel

It requires about 1.25" per side be removed.

And here is where I am today.

The AMC gate is now the same dimensions as the Kaiser gate. The next step is to remove the brackets and side pieces off the old gate and fit them to the new gate. I was looking at the side pieces on the Kaiser gate and they are in pretty rough shape. I'm thinking I may have to use the bottom half off the AMC gate and the top half off the Kaiser gate and splice them together.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 04-18-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:02 PM
232 I6

I've been off work for the past week and managed to take a couple days to work on my truck.

I got the fuel injection installed and it seems to be running fine. Tomorrow it will be driven to work and possibly down the highway a bit so it can learn, I've driven it about 15 miles since install. I will say I am less than impressed by Fitechs tech support at the moment. I'm a bit hard of hearing so try to do most of my communicating by text or email when possible and the guy in tech support can't seem to understand I'm asking him 2 simple questions about fuel. For some reason he is thinking I'm asking about the manual and timing control and I'm getting very frustrated with him. That said the truck is running very nice and I haven't done anything that can't be returned back to original if it comes to it.

I also had another key break No reason, it looked fine, the mechanism was working fine, it just broke and it broke inside the lock cylinder. So now I give up on keeping the Kaiser locks and ordered some post '73 replacement locks which arrived today. Of course you have to modify some things slightly to use them.

To begin with the shaft on the new ones are too long

So they had to be carefully measured, marked and cut off

Then ground to the right length

Then they were ready to install...or rather not.

One of them went right in, no problems but when the other was installed I couldn't lock the door. After careful study it looks like the shaft for that key is oriented incorrectly and will need twisted a bit to get it to line up properly. Something that will have to wait until tomorrow.

One kind of cool thing about this is that removing the locks shows what the original teak wood trim looked like before it faded
Old 05-07-2019, 01:07 AM
232 I6

I've been working on my tailgate as much as I can this past week but it has been slow going. I got the side pieces out of the old tailgate which was a chore but I got them out without too much effort. They weren't in very good condition, they were bent, broken, cracked and rusty.

I decided the best course of action was to remove the top 1/3rd of the old ones and splice them onto the lower 2/3rds of the newer ones. So I cut them off, got some sheetmetal and clecos to hold them together

and then got our welder to give me a lesson on using the TIG welder. He welded the 2 pieces together then showed me how to use the TIG. Many, many years ago I welded with a torch, stick and mig but have forgotten a lot of it. The TIG is a little different but it didn't take too long to get the hang of it and I started spot welding it back together.

They may not be the prettiest spot welds but I have a grinder that can fix that.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 05-13-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:16 PM
232 I6

Today I got the top seam of the tailgate welded and got the bottom seam clecoed and began welding that.

I'm getting accustomed to how the TIG works and It is going quite well. On my way home from work I stopped at Autozone and picked up some rust treatment and primer so I can hopefully finish this conversion this week. It is getting close.

While I was at Autozone I also picked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge so I can see for certain what's going on with the oil pressure. I installed that this afternoon so tomorrow morning I will know.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:38 PM
232 I6

I got the lower seam welded up today. I'm actually getting pretty good with the TIG. It will require a very minimal amount of grinding.

The next step is either to fill the hole where the canter latch used to be or install and trim the the side pieces. I treated the hook brackets so they will be ready to prime and paint tomorrow so I may go either way but I'm leaning toward priming and painting the hook brackets then work on filling the latch hole. I feel like I'm getting very close to having this project finished, or at least close to ready to start persuading dents out and shrinking some metal.

While I'm posting, the new mechanical oil gauge indicated a solid 18 PSI at 600RPM warmed up, which confirms what I suspected about the digital gauge suffering from electrical interference.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 05-10-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:22 PM
232 I6

Yesterday I did a test fit of the tailgate

Not too bad After a couple of minor adjustments and refits I felt it was finally ready to have all the rest of the spot welds finished. So today I managed to get the side pieces welded in and all the spot welds completed.

I've learned to make the welds as flush as possible to keep the amount of grinding to a minimum.

Tomorrow I plan on cutting out the recessed metal where the tailgate latch used to be and welding in a filler piece. I find butt welding much easier than overlap welding so I'm hoping that isn't too hard. Then I will have to start seriously working on straightening out the center panel.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:47 PM
232 I6

Today was a very busy day at work and I only found a little time for my little tailgate project. I was hoping to get the welding all finished up so I could move on to grinding welds and straightening metal but that didn't happen. I did make some progress though.

I managed to get the recessed metal around the latch hole cut out

and fitted a plate for the hole

Then got it tack welded in

That's as far as I got. Early next week should see the end of welding and the beginning of the body work.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:48 PM
232 I6

I finished welding the plate on today to fill the hole where the handle used to be. I ran into a little trouble with the last of the welds but I think that may have been someone messing with the welder settings, but it's done.

And ground down

Tomorrow I hope to begin straightening dents and working out the little stuff.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:58 PM
232 I6

I've been working on my tailgate as much as possible all week. I've been slowly stripping off the paint and straightening out dents to get it within reason. I think I'm fairly close to what I find acceptable. Today I finally finished stripping the front (well technically the back) side.

Because I have been using scotch brite pads on a die grinder it's actually sort of polished and looks pretty cool. If I were going for that bare metal look I'd stop right now and clear coat it and be done.

But I'm going for a bit more refined look so I treated the bare metal and will press on cleaning and straightening out the back side. I'm really hoping to finish this and get it back on the truck next week.