International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 06-10-2019, 07:11 PM
304 AMC

Awesome!

From my recent experience: Don't do a serpentine kit. Don't do EFI right off the bat. All the other advice I have is useless.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 06-12-2019, 09:02 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Awesome!

From my recent experience: Don't do a serpentine kit. Don't do EFI right off the bat. All the other advice I have is useless.

Good advice!

Well you guys can give me all the crap you want but I am not doing (in my opinion) real rebuild. I am basically going to take it apart, check everything, replace gaskets, and timing chain and put it back together. I have the paperwork from the rebuild that was done 30,000 miles ago and it was pretty extensive.

Obviously if I find things out of order or with excessive wear I will go down the route of sending it off to be machined.

Hate saying this after seeing all of your guys AMAZING rebuilds of 401s but i am basically giving mine a fresh coat of paint.

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
Soon to be a 401!
Old 06-12-2019, 09:04 AM
232 I6

Also, staying carb'd and all original accessories. Will probably do intake manifold and new carb, and have been waffling between headers or just porting the stock manifolds. Other then that stock internals.

Soon to be a 401!
Old 06-12-2019, 12:09 PM
304 AMC

I think that is a great idea but I wouldn't do a whole lot of taking apart. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Add a mechanical oil pressure gauge to your list, too. Also, I assume you plan to chuck/sell that Prestolite dizzy, yeah?

Honestly, with that plan, I would pull the oil pan, just to check what's in it/clean it out. Do your timing chain and oil pump, put it all back together, paint it, and throw it in to start it up. If you have a receipt showing work is done, I would assume it is done and roll with it. The more you take apart, the more you have the chance of screwing something up or digging a big giant, deep, painful, expensive hole. I would install with that stock intake because it's sealed and works for now.

If you do headers, that means you are doing almost an entirely new exhaust. It can be $$$ but very worth it IMHO, even on a stock 401. It was a pretty drastic difference when I put my headers on my stock 401.

Once you verify it runs well and has good oil pressure, pull your valve covers and do the LS rocker swap and maybe a cam:
LS Rocker Swap thread.
That is also the time to do your intake. Just putting a carb and intake on will make it lighter but I don't think would be worth the expense and effort without the proper cam. Holding off on an intake also buys you time to find a used intake.

Another tidbit: When you are ready to put your 401 in or a week before, put your 360 up for sale. It's easier to sell an engine that is running than sitting on an engine stand. Put your ad up like this:
For sale: running AMC 360, come drive it, check oil pressure, listen to it before I pull it.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 06-12-2019, 12:23 PM
232 I6

Quote:
I think that is a great idea but I wouldn't do a whole lot of taking apart. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Add a mechanical oil pressure gauge to your list, too. Also, I assume you plan to chuck/sell that Prestolite dizzy, yeah?

Honestly, with that plan, I would pull the oil pan, just to check what's in it/clean it out. Do your timing chain and oil pump, put it all back together, paint it, and throw it in to start it up. If you have a receipt showing work is done, I would assume it is done and roll with it. The more you take apart, the more you have the chance of screwing something up or digging a big giant, deep, painful, expensive hole. I would install with that stock intake because it's sealed and works for now.

If you do headers, that means you are doing almost an entirely new exhaust. It can be $$$ but very worth it IMHO, even on a stock 401. It was a pretty drastic difference when I put my headers on my stock 401.

I won't be disassembling the whole engine i just want to pull valve covers and maybe one head, but will probably do both. This is just to check cylinders and what not. I plan on running the stock distributor at least until i have problems with it.

My 360 already has a mechanical oil pressure gauge so i will definitely hook that up to the 401!

As far as headers, I planned on doing a full exhaust already (as in planned it money wise ) I have read a bunch of threads on here about exhaust on a stock engine. Correct me if I am wrong, but the gist i got was the stock manifolds (when ported) make equal to better power then shorty headers, and only long tube headers showed increase in performance.
I already am doing the exhaust, would it be worth it to do the headers then? Either way its custom.

Soon to be a 401!
Old 06-12-2019, 12:32 PM
232 I6

Quote:

Once you verify it runs well and has good oil pressure, pull your valve covers and do the LS rocker swap and maybe a cam:
LS Rocker Swap thread.
That is also the time to do your intake. Just putting a carb and intake on will make it lighter but I don't think would be worth the expense and effort without the proper cam. Holding off on an intake also buys you time to find a used intake.

Another tidbit: When you are ready to put your 401 in or a week before, put your 360 up for sale. It's easier to sell an engine that is running than sitting on an engine stand. Put your ad up like this:
For sale: running AMC 360, come drive it, check oil pressure, listen to it before I pull it.

The goal of this Wagon is mostly weekend and road trips so I don't currently plan on hopping up the 401 with cam and lifters. I am definitely the type of person that ends up getting carried away with engine performance without looking at the intended use of the vehicle. As seen with my previous Foxbody mustang .

I am totally open to hearing I don't need an intake for my stock internals, and I was going with new carb to add some reliability. Me and the wife are fine with carb i have had quite a few in the past and don't mind them.
What is the conscious on intake manifold on stock 401?

Also i will heed your advice on selling a running 360, i know i would have liked to see my 401 run before i bought it.

Soon to be a 401!