International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 04-01-2004, 07:51 AM

I read alot of problems that sound like mine, but not exactly. I have three and I don't know if they are related or not. If anyone has some advice, I could sure use it. When driving my truck down the road, all of a sudden I realize it isn't running. I turn the key and it starts right up. Secondly it has started knocking quite loudly when I give it gas. I let it sit for awhile because when it would warm up it would stall and not start until it seemed to cool down. Now it is sqealing loudly on top of all the other problems. If you have any suggestions on any of the problems, please let me know.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:57 AM
Propane Protagonist

Drain your oil and look for glitter. It sounds to me like your oil pump pooped the bed or your filter is plugged, or for whatever reason your not getting enough oil, especially at higher RPMs. Maybe someone else has an idea, but that's what it sounds like to me, and definitely don't start it again until you check the oil!

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!
Old 04-01-2004, 08:06 AM
Grease Monkey

Question

What yrr Jeep do ya have? If it is '79 or older the problem when driving and it quits running is the igniton modual under the hood mounted on the driverside fender well.It has one lead w/ 4 wires and another lead w/ 2 wires. Its ford ignition modual that will cost around $15-20 from AutoZone.
The next problem I would check would be your timming.('79 its 8deg btc)It maybe to far advanced. I would have to say thats why your having the hard starting problem when warm.
the last sounds like a belt,powersteering, alt, you might replace them all. If you do, take some sand paper and go over the pullies to get rid of any glazing the old belts may have left.
Hope this helped.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:51 AM

It's an '84 Jeep J10. I was wondering if may be something electronic? Do you think that the knocking is something to do with egr or connected to bad firing?
Old 04-01-2004, 10:45 AM
Gear Head

If it is '79 or older the problem when driving and it quits running is the igniton modual under the hood mounted on the driverside fender well.It has one lead w/ 4 wires and another lead w/ 2 wires. Its ford ignition modual that will cost around $15-20 from AutoZone.

Would installing a MSD 6A solve this problem?
'89 Chevy K2500 flatbed
'87 Ford Ranger
'84 Renault LeCar
'84 Honda Passport
'66 Yamaha MG-1T
http://www.jpricefamily.org/joy/Chris-Cars.htm
Old 04-01-2004, 10:49 AM
JB Welder

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Barry:

Would installing a MSD 6A solve this problem?
Yeah - the MSD replaces the ignition module
Old 04-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Master Mechanic

mostly yes. you can run the msd inline with your stock ignition box. but if it is bad you will have to replace it. or you can run directly off of the msd.

benjamin
4" Rusty's lift 32x11.5 BFG KM, 1.5" block rear MSD/TFI, Pioneer sound
'85 grill, '78 WT wheels
houston, tx
hermanbloom79@yahoo.com
"if you don't have time to do it right, you don't have time to do it twice." - stolen from another board member who's name i can't recall
Old 04-01-2004, 11:42 AM

Id do a full tune up, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, oil, filter, and new belts. The belts sound like that squeaking.

1983 Jeep Wagoneer
360 Amc V-8
T-18 Tranny
Dana 20 T-case
Dana 60 F & R