International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 07-31-2014, 08:24 PM

Stupid Question...

I have only had my wagoner for about a year now. I got it in the middle of winter so I was fortunate enough to test her out in the snow...and she was horrible.... even in 4wd the rear tires could never get traction. I have a decent set of tires but in about 8 inches of snow I wasn't getting up my driveway... which in south jersey is flat lol... are these wags really light in the rear or what!

"I think that things a jeep...."
Old 07-31-2014, 08:40 PM

mine goes wherever it's pointed,in snow as deep as you wanna drive in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 07-31-2014, 08:41 PM

I wish mine would. I mean its good in snow but any incline on a slippery surface and its spinningg wheels...

Old 08-01-2014, 12:02 PM
FSJ Maniac

What size/brand/type of tires? We have BFG AT's on ours and they're great in the snow.

JR

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
1966 mustang fastback
'07 Dodge Charger 3.5
Old 08-01-2014, 12:27 PM

Did it go into 4x4 mode? sounds like you were in 2wd. I know mine gets squirrly in 2wd and the tail will want to walk a little (have a Lock-Rite in the back), and as soon s I lock the hubs and pull the case into 4H she is like she is on rails.

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Grease Monkey

Heres a couple of videos i found of Wagoneers in the snow. Both are pretty close to stock rigs. Of course there not concrete under this snow. It doesnt snow at the beach, so I have no personal experience, but its slow at work today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3AjunhJnbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jQs8ZOXDC8
Old 08-01-2014, 12:44 PM

Generally these things aren't light anywhere and do pretty good in snow. I would rethink your tire plan and move up from "decent" to "good" tires. But no 4x4 is a magic go anywhere go through everything vehicle but on flat ground in 8" of snow with good tires it should do fine in 4WD unless the 8" of snow is laying on a compact snow and ice base. If your "decent" tires are uber wide tires on snow you're sledding not driving. Hope by your tires being "decent" doesn't mean they're AT's which is a marketing joke. They're OK for compact snow and ice but useless in 8" of snow. I'm betting you've got a tire issue rather than a Wag capability issue.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Master Mechanic

I second the idea that you should check your 4WD to be sure it's actually driving four wheels. Sounds too much like rear only drive to me. I've had a lot of 4WD vehicles in Minnesota winters, and never ever had one act like you describe, IF the 4WD was working correctly.

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2014, 02:39 PM

yes. it must be my tires. my 4wd is good. the tires are "decent" meaning they have about 80 percent tread but they are AT.... tme to move on

Old 08-01-2014, 04:03 PM

i had michelin ltx's on mine. all season radials.

Quote:
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 08-01-2014, 09:13 PM

Maybe the tcase isn't engaging the front?
Old 08-02-2014, 01:57 AM
Banned

Tire tread does make a difference, not so much the "type" of tire. I had decent traction in deep snow in my 4-door with 285/75x16 Maxxis ATs. But when the tread depth got half wy to nothing, traction on slippery stuff got bad. I would have to air down to 14psi or lower to get any kind of good footprint and even then down-shift to brake.

I put some Cooper "Radial Mud Claw" tires on the truck and it changed the behavior back to good traction. but since these tires are donuts instead of steam rollers (tread surface is rounded instead of flat) I have to run around 30 psi to get a flat footprint.

That little novel having been written, I'll say this.

If you want surreal traction in deep snow -get mud tires and air them down. If you want awesome traction on ice too - get them studded. If you want good traction in snow/ice, get Blizzaks. I was amazed at how well they grab ice.

I think for deep, thick, packed snow you want flotation, because a stock Wag with 29" tires only has 7-8" of clearance before its dragging the diffs through the snow. 12-14 inches before itspushing the axles through snow and almost up to the frame rails. 18 inches and generally you are hopelessly highcentered. I've plowed through some deep stuff in 4WD in my 4 door with the Maxxis tires, but gotten high-centered in 2-3 feet of snow in my street. When Chevy well-service trucks wearing mud terrains were getting around just fine. But they have a few more inches of natural suspension lift than a stock J20.

I actually think Swampers make great snow tires, the little SXTs I have on my Cherokee got me around great when they were on my green truck. Not great on Ice, but you can always sipe the heck out of the tire lugs for ice.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:55 AM
Grease Monkey

mine is awesome in the snow with the mud terrains.
1978 wagoneer, jasper 360 performer intake holley 600,700r4, twinstick dana 300, dana 44s with 4.10s and Yukon zip locker, York oba, 4" rusty's spring lift, 33x10.50 km2, ramsey ford front bumper with worm drive ramsey winch, 4" pipe air tank rear bumper with spare tire swing out.