International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 02-07-2010, 02:41 PM

fuel problem...

I got my new old truck running last week... the PO told me he'd had the gas tank cleaned etc, put on an electric fuel pump and new fuel filter... but, no gas seems to be getting to the carb.

I made sure there is plenty of gas in the tank.

I primed the carb with some gas and would get momentarily fired up and running and then seemingly out of fuel.

I disconnected the fuel filter and took off the gas cap, I can hear the electric fuel pump running but no gas is really running to the carb (set on ACC and disconnected fuel line to the carb to see if I had gas running to the carb.

I siphoned gas through the fuel lines to the point where it connected to the fuel pump and was able to siphon 3 gallons with relative ease.

I connected a fuel line into my gas can, ran it to the fuel pump and into the carb (no fuel filter)

I got gas to the carb, connected the fuel line and she fired up for about a minute and then seemingly no fuel again.

When I disconnected the fuel line to the carb, it again seemed like no fuel was getting to the carb.

The fuel pump appears to be brand new... I'm open to suggestions... this one issue is slowing down some major progress...

Any idears? Thanks!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:09 AM

I got nuthin'...but here's a bump for the weekday guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWag&Prix
Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"
Old 02-08-2010, 09:19 AM

Float sticking in carb?
Just a thought, don't see above where you have gone into the carb yet.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Old 02-08-2010, 09:31 AM

x2 on Tad's comment. Also, its sounds like the fuel pump may not be working correctly.
"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda
Old 02-08-2010, 10:06 AM

Thanks guys. I'm going to try a different fuel pump today and then, if that doesn't solve it, go after the carb... since I haven't been getting fuel to the carb I hadn't considered it... when I have primed it myself or hit it with starting fluid the truck fired right up...

hoping it is a faulty pump! I'll report back and thanks again for the bumps and tips! It can get lonely under the hood! Hoping my manual shows up today! ha ha!
Old 02-08-2010, 02:09 PM
350 Buick

I have an electric fuel pump from the wrecking yard with a switch, twenty feet of zip cord and battery clamps, and ten feet of fuel line. Mostly use it to steal gas from my Chevelle for the lawn mower, also works to diagnose pump and fuel line/tank problems.

Seemed like a good idea at the time...
69 1414x Wagoneer 350/TH400 DD & Ski Ride
68 Chevelle wagon 350/BWT50
68 Impala wagon 327/400
73 Cougar droptop 351C/FMX Garage Queen
04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
73 Wagoneer parts donor

Old 02-09-2010, 01:39 AM

got the new pump today, I'll get to test it out on wed...

Kind of considering replacing all the plumbing and the tank... I'll get the first part going first, but it seems like it might be a good thing (peace of mind wise) to have the fuel supply completely resolved.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:54 PM

Update: Well, what do you know! It works! Yay!

The fuel pump that the PO had put on there to 'get me home' was the wrong output... I was starvin' the glad!

I got a nice new one (recommended by my local jeep buddy) and put that sucker on with a new filter and she fired like a dream... now, I just need to hook all the plumbing back up, take a couple of pics and drive that girl!

Thanks for your help gents... this one sure proved the 'test everything' no matter what, rule....
Old 02-10-2010, 03:11 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman
Update: Well, what do you know! It works! Yay!

The fuel pump that the PO had put on there to 'get me home' was the wrong output... I was starvin' the glad!

I got a nice new one (recommended by my local jeep buddy) and put that sucker on with a new filter and she fired like a dream... now, I just need to hook all the plumbing back up, take a couple of pics and drive that girl!

Thanks for your help gents... this one sure proved the 'test everything' no matter what, rule....

Neat, so which brand and model pump # did you install?

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work
Old 02-10-2010, 04:23 PM

on the advice of my friend Jeff (a jeep whiz) here is what he told me

"I'd tend to agree that your pump is the issue. I'd go for the E8016S pump (autozone part number). It's a 2.5-5psi pump and those trucks typically like 3psi. You could try to scrounge up a new mechanical fuel pump for it, but it'd likely be hard to find one. If you wanted to go to a 4bbl carb, the part number you want is E8012S. Puts out 5-10psi, so you'd probably run into flooding issues with your existing carb."

I have the 2 bbl, so I got the first one....

Now, postscript, I got the truck all fired and all was well.... but, on my test drive it died on me... ugh... I have an additional problem, crack in the fuel line, clog, sock off in the tank, old tank full of crapola.... something...

I was planning to replace all of it at some point... well, I emailed bj's and just asked them for the parts list, fuel lines, fittings, tank etc... screw it, do it right. Then I have a reliable, working fuel system and can focus my energies on other aspects.

here is the old girl.

Last edited by gladman : 02-10-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:34 AM
Grease Monkey

Beautiful truck, Gladman.

80 Wagoneer Limited, 2 bbl 2150, 360, 727TF, NP219, "Moby Dick" Now with Dragonfire HEI, Contour dual fans, CS144,