International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 02-18-2020, 07:18 AM

Defending the Mechanic, he saw that it was missing the Smog Junk and doesn't have the time to hunt this stuff down himself. It could take hours/days/weeks to collect it all and a customer is not going to be happy paying for his time to locate all the Junk and make it work. Best thing would be for the owner to locate and install all the Smog Junk and then have the mechanic make it work.
What ever happened to selling a vehicle "As Is".
--Will it pass smog
--I dont know--As Is
--I cant register it w/o passing smog
--As Is
Old 02-18-2020, 10:47 AM
out of order

It is fine to sell a vehicle as-is, however, this wasn't an as-is, the seller was dishonest and "took care of smog".
If I was the buyer that purchased a vehicle with a recent smog cert., then found out it wasn't legal/compliant heads would roll.

In CA the seller is responsible for smog to try and limit people getting screwed with the purchase of a vehicle that isn't compliant/legal or needs hundreds/thousands in repairs to make it compliant/legal.

The law is an attempt to protect folks that are NOT mechanically inclined and do not know how to repair a vehicle themselves.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:33 PM
230 Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Depends. How nice is the rig? if it's a nice rig, for sure worth it. Just put a smog legal engine in there. Easiest would be to find an AMC 360 and put that in. They show up on Craigslist fairly often and sell for pennys.

You never really said what engine is in it now so it's hard to say. If the transmission is the stock transmission, this will not be hard but if the previous owner swapped the transmission, too it will complicate things.

I think it's nice. It's clean, it has completely redone seats, all leather, tho obviously not original style.

I can't really say if there was a transmission swap. But just by looking at the emissions diagram, my mechanic suspects it's not the OG engine.

that much doesn't really matter, I guess. now that it's seized.

Seems like the AMC 360 is the most common recommendation. If it's the original transmission will they work together?

Someone also suggested a 5.3 L / 4L60 transmission from a 2000ish Chevy suburban. Does that sound legit to you?
Old 02-18-2020, 02:35 PM
230 Tornado

drivetrain pics

just out of curiosity, how would you shoot pics of the drivetrain? just get under the car and take pics of the undercarriage?
Old 02-18-2020, 06:08 PM
350 Buick

Yup. Grab a camera and start taking pics. What city are you in? LA is a big area.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:42 AM
out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstanwyck
just out of curiosity, how would you shoot pics of the drivetrain? just get under the car and take pics of the undercarriage?

Got a phone w/ camera? That's the easiest way.
Take a pic of the engine bay and we can ID it.
If you need help posting the pics let me know.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Really you are asking 2 questions:
1) what engine should I put (or have put) in my rig? and
2) How do I get it through smog?

1) In CA, as far as I have read, you can put almost any passenger car or light truck engine in your GWag as long as it is the same year or newer as your GWag. So, if you want to install a 2005 GM 5.3liter V8 in your 1986 GWag, that could be legal. You must retain all the original smog equipment and configuration of the vehicle it came from. So, if they 2005 GM vehicle had a catalytic converter, EGR, and carbon canister, you have to bring those over to your GWag. If your transmission is stock, then an AMC 360 would be the easiest and most cost effective engine to get your GWag on the road. Yes, if the trans is stock, AMC 360 bolts up. Once you post some pics of your current configuration (engine, transmission, transfer case) we can better help you with your options.
2) If you do an engine swap and it is the same year or newer, and you retain all the original smog equipment, then you take it to a smog referee and they will inspect it. If it meets all their requirements they will put a smog referee sticker on it and you smog it like you would for the year of the motor from then on out. So if you put a 2010 Hemi in it, the referees sticker will show all the required smog equipment and year of the motor so when you do smog it, the smog tech will look at that sticker, do a visual inspection on what is supposed to be there, then either dyno or scan the computer. Once you have the sticker, smogging it is no different than smogging any other car. There is no extra cost, no special tech needed. etc. I had a 1989 Ranger and swapped in (smog legally) a 1990 5.0HO in place of the factory 2.9l V6 and it was smog was a non-issue after the ref installed his sticker.

DO NOT try to beat/trick the system! DO NOT install non-smog compliant parts or you will regret it! DO NOT Listen to anyone that says "Yeah, you can install that even though it is not smog legal, no one will ever know." If you tick off the smog people bad enough, they can black list your car and you will never get it registered in CA.

All of this is expensive. If you are doing an engine swap yourself, expect at least $3,000 unless you are doing an AMC V8. You could do an AMC 360 back in yourself for about $1500 or less if the engine does not need a rebuild. If you are paying a mechanic, get your wallet ready; it's going to hurt. I think this is a big reason babywag said
Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
... the seller was dishonest and "took care of smog".
If I was the buyer that purchased a vehicle with a recent smog cert., then found out it wasn't legal/compliant heads would roll.

In CA the seller is responsible for smog to try and limit people getting screwed with the purchase of a vehicle that isn't compliant/legal or needs hundreds/thousands in repairs to make it compliant/legal.

The law is an attempt to protect folks that are NOT mechanically inclined and do not know how to repair a vehicle themselves.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 02-28-2020, 08:50 PM
232 I6

Just post pics of the engine bay already so we can stop speculating what the situation is. Lots of folks here willing to help out with ideas. Also, what led you to determine that the engine is seized? Is it just not turning over? You said previously you didnt know much about engines, maybe we can help out with that as well...
Old 03-06-2020, 04:02 AM
230 Tornado

Need a little bit more info. What engine is in your Wagoneer? If you have the AMC 360 engine, no reason it could not be put back to pass smog in California. You could start asking on this sight for the smog parts you need. Now if you have a different engine, Not sure how that works out in your part of the country. We do have lots of guys on this site from Cali, so they should be able to point you in the right direction. Give us some more info on your rig. Good luck!