• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mgmann
    232 I6
    • Jun 12, 2007

Rear spring bracket replacement

Recently took my 88GW in for a paint job, new vinyl and anything else that might need fixing. Although the outfit is almost completely rust free I found that the frame was badly rusted where the fuel tank skid plate attaches - typical for this rig I am told. I got one of the kits from Team Grand Wagoneer and my body guy says he can install it.

After seeing this I did a little more digging to see if there are any other rust issues I haven’t seen, and found that the driver’s-side rear spring bracket is badly rusted. I always tried to keep the drain holes clear, but it still clogged up with mud. The body guy doesn’t seem to think that it’s a big deal, but I’d still like to find a permanent solution.

I’m sure other guys have had this issue and I’d like to know what they did to resolve it? Is it possible to get a new bracket that can be welded on and if so where can I get one?

Thanks………..

Mid 90s Ford Ranger rear spring hangers should fit, that's what I've been running for a while now. Replacement brackets are built to be riveted or bolted to the frame, but you could easily weld them on. They are a much better design than the boxes on our rigs, and will not clog up and rust out like ours.

Something like this should work:

I found some other ones that were a better and stronger design, but I can't find the link right now. If I come across it, I'll post it up.

You don't need to spend much, though. Any mid-90s Ranger rear spring hangers should work.
    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

Here is my install from a while back:

1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Mars
        350 Buick
        • Apr 24, 2010

Wow that's awesome, I have one that just graduated from the "It's okay" to " I should start looking for a new one of those" categories.
        What shackle would you suggest with that hangar setup?
        Last edited by Mars; 11-10-2019, 01:42 AM.
        Wannabe Fabricator
        Grumpy on a good day.
        1981 J-10 Laredo.. mmmm bucket seats...
        What I'm working on: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...50#post1503850

Comment

• Rusty76
          258 I6
          • Jul 15, 2018

Hi I recently replaced the rear spring brackets with the ford ranger parts.
          I also attempted a shackle flip. It did not work out like I was hoping. Old stock springs are pretty much flat. Think I needed to move hanger even closer to front. I'm hoping that new springs will help but I'm not sure. Should have just did it the normal way
          Anyway the hanger are bolt on and that part of the job was pretty easy.
          I also ordered Ranger shackle but decided to use new Wagoneer stock one instead.
          Hope this helps. Sorry for the dark pictures

IMG_5397 by , on FlickrIMG_9980 by , on Flickr
          IMG_4176 by , on Flickr
          1976 Jeep Wagoneer
          Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
          Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• Mars
            350 Buick
            • Apr 24, 2010

very cool posting the pics man thank you!
            Wannabe Fabricator
            Grumpy on a good day.
            1981 J-10 Laredo.. mmmm bucket seats...
            What I'm working on: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...50#post1503850

Comment

Working...
            X