• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpcoutts
    304 AMC
    • Jun 28, 2002

Dormant A/C revival Q's

The A/C on the J20 has been un-used for somewhere around 15 years. The fan works and all of the lines appear to be intact. The compressor doesn't respond to the dash switch and I have a theory that the pressure switch in the line is keeping it from energizing the clutch on the compressor because the system is simply tool low on pressure to close the switch. Before I put a jumper on the connector for the switch to test my theory I wonder if there is anything I could or should do to lube the compressor? Does anybody have any suggestions?
    Jim C
    '67 J3000 Dually
    '86 J20
    '79 CJ5(in pieces)
    '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
    Correction- it just needed a water pump!
  • Eric S.
    258 I6
    • Jun 02, 2002

Your guess is right about jumping that switch to engage your compressor, but you might want to have a pro do it.

I just took mine to a shop, and they vacuum tested the system before hooking up any freon to it. Knowing that your system is leaking could save you some money wasted on refrigerant.

The vacuum test is helpful because it clears moisture from the system. They were saying that if you have a lot of moisture in the system, it can damage the compressor when it makes its way there.

Find out if they have any alternatives to R12 in stock before they start pumping. My shop had some stuff called Freeze12 which is an r12 substitute. R12 is getting expensive to come by these days.
    1989 Grand Wagoneer -- FOR SALE

Comment

• FSJunkie
      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
      • Jan 09, 2011

The compressor is lubricated internally, as long as it has the proper ammount of refrigeration oil in the crankcase, it's happy.

It's beneficial to have a couple oz of oil circulating through the system and the oil levels in all the system components stabilize after some use, so if you remove any component of the system for fluch/ replacement, make sure to reinstall it or the new part with the same ammount of oil as the original.
      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Jeebes
        232 I6
        • Apr 30, 2009

A/C

Moisture is the #1 contaminate of A/C systems! and yes evacuating it into a deep vacuum is the only way to get all the moisture out. But if theres moisture in your system form old weather rotted lines your oil could be broke down and acidic, which isn't good. Im a HVAC tech, so i would recommend having a pro look at it. Components can be expensive and can easily be ruined if everything not right.

Comment

• Jeebes
          232 I6
          • Apr 30, 2009

Originally posted by FSJunkie
          It's beneficial to have a couple oz of oil circulating through the system and the oil levels in all the system components stabilize after some use, so if you remove any component of the system for fluch/ replacement, make sure to reinstall it or the new part with the same ammount of oil as the original.
          Thats not really necessary, the refrigerant will recirculate the oil. And oil isn't needed anywhere but the compressor.

Comment

• jsinajeep
            304 AMC
            • Nov 26, 2005

If you are just wanting to see if the compressor will function yes just do the jumper, but do not run it for a very long time.
            http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...eep%20Trailer/

Comment

Working...
            X