International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 09-05-2002, 09:38 AM

I am at my wits trying to figure this one out and thought I would tap into the FSJ brain trust. On the '79 Chief, when I turn on the fan, either for heat or defrost, I can hear the fan but feel no air coming out. I have cleaned the tubes going the the defroster vents on the inside of the vehicle. It doesn't matter if I have it on heat or defrost or how much the fan is on (low, med, high)... there is no air. Any suggestions?
Old 09-05-2002, 10:01 AM
Auto Trannie God

there is a vacum hose (small) that comes out of the fire wall on the engine side right behind the pass cyl head that gets hooked up to a vacum port on the carb/intake that goes to all the heat/def/a/c doors to make them open and close if it is not hooked up none of the vents will work if it is hooked up it might be the control panel
Old 09-05-2002, 10:03 AM

I will give it a look to see if that will do it. I will let you know if that is it. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:24 AM
Third Member

You may also need to clean out the heater box. This is accessible by removing the blower motor, which is mounted to the firewall on the passenger side of the engine compartment. There are only four screws plus the lead wire, and the blower motor will slip right out.

Reach into the box with a narrow vacuum cleaner attachment and/or by hand to clean out debris. If you haven't done this before, you may be amazed at the amount of leaves, sticks, and other stuff that accumulates there.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:37 AM
Gear Head

You prolly have a vac leak somewhere, and the flapper doors are not opening/closing all the way.
If you can get to the vac lines, blow/suck on the lines to make sure the flappers work, you should be able to hear them.
my '83 did the same thing untill i fixed the vac leak at the air filter housing. It all works great now.